What's your default starting difficulty?

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Normally FPS is done on hard or normal, RTS' ALWAYS on easy because i suck at them and everythying else on normal. I just want to have fun, and though some people find it fun on hard/very hard, I don't.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Normal. I am not an especially good gamer, but I like to know that I can at least finish the game as the more widespread difficulty.

I will admit though, that on the few games I played on hard- Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, for example, because you have to play on "proud" mode if you want the actual ending without getting 100% completion- and then on normal, I did enjoy the sense of superiority it granted me, as I destroyed every threat in a matter of hours.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
always normal, or second hardest difficulty if i can... rarely the easiest difficulty

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Normal. Then if normal isn't hard (because sometimes the game says 'normal' but it is actually deceptively difficult) I'll try hard. But I like to know the game before I see how good I am.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Normal. I dunno, there's no pride in easy. Plus it usually makes the game too easy and boring once you get the hang of it and the last 3rd of the game is just a slog. With normal you tend to get better and then the game is fun till the end.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I usually go on the easiest setting, to make my first play-through relaxing and mostly free of stress.
If I like the game enough, I'll replay it at a harder difficulty setting.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
I usually go with hard and take the first 10~20 min of the game to decide whether to keep it that way or to tune it down a little bit. In non-sequel RTS games, though, I usually go normal and pretty much every time I beef it up to hard on my sencond match or scenario.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Normal. Devs usually get the difficulty curve perfect on 'normal' difficulty. You get a challenge without it being too balls-hard that you can't enjoy the story or the aesthetics because you're too busy trying to not die.

NinjaRock

Aug 16, 2011
If i am in it for the story i will play easy or normal.
It really depends on how accurate the difficulty setting is.

For example in Resistance 1 on PS3 I could never complete it on anything other than easy

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
Usually the one right below the hardest. If the game's good, I'll go back and do the hardest later

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
Normal on everything.

I'm too afraid to go into Touhou on Hard or Lunatic. >_<

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
Really depends on the game.
If it's a WW2 game? Hardest difficulty possible, with headphones and sound levels that'd be appropriate. Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood had me going two days straight yelling "WHAT?!" whenever someone tried to talk to me because I almost caught a Panzerfaust and barely dodged buying the farm once xD
Games like H.A.W.X. and Heroes of the Pacific also gets the hardest difficulty.
FPS games usually get Normal once, and if I replay it I'll try the harder/hardest difficulties
Fallout 3 got the Very Easy difficulty after I got Broken Steel (stupid Overlords and Reavers... >_>), but I've kept New Vegas on Normal all the way.
RTS games also get normal, but I won't hesitate to turn down the difficulty if I'm struggling. (Managed the entirety of Starcraft 2 on normal except for the last "defend the thingy while it charges up"-mission where I went to Easy after two fails.)
Games with puzzles in them (like Silent Hill or Catherine) are usually instantly put on Easy, though I did beat Catherine on Normal on my first playthrough (even if it meant loosing 50-60-ish lives during the 9th Night and its 5th stage...)

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Normal. Always normal, doesn't matter if I've played a game in the series before, if it's a different genre I don't know, or whatever reason, always normal.

ultrapowerpie

Feb 22, 2011
Depends on the game, to be honest. I usually try to keep it on normal, but I'm not afraid to trun it to easy if the game is too hard. I'll ocassionaly do a harder run through if I play a game again.

Gabriela D.

Dec 10, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
First time playing, easy.
Then I replay again on normal.
Couple of months later I try on Hardest difficulty.

That's my basic plan...
That. Also, if I really like the story, I go with Easy.