What's your default starting difficulty?

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Normal is a good start and than if I play through again I bump up the difficulty... but the New Deus Ex Imma start on the hardest difficulty...<.<

Sep 8, 2010
I tend towards "normal" or "medium" or whatever, to see how difficult it is. If it's too easy for my tastes, I'll go up to hard, but I generally don't drop down to easy unless "normal" means "normal for twitchy fuckers with Ritalin-fueled reaction times".

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Normal. Most of the games I prefer have a heavy story emphasis, rather than combat and all that, so I wouldn't object too hard to easy.

Mass Effect 2 is the exception, oddly enough. I can't play on anything easier than hardcore without it feeling deeply wrong somehow. This is odd, because I very rarely bother with higher difficulty settings in games.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
If it's a game like Batman Arkham Asylum or Bioshock where there's the classic Easy, Normal and Hard, I'll go for hard for a little more challenge.

If it's like Gears of War, Aliens vs Predator, Resident Evil 5 or Doom 3 where the hardest setting is pure BS with puke over it, then I'll pick the second or third hardest (though I've beaten RE5 Pro alone, never again)

I'm contemplating playing everything now at Normal and fight my OCD while enjoying the game to the fullest without allowing the gameplay flaws or my general suckness become too evident. At the end, it depends on the game: Silent Hill works best on Normal, as does Doom 3 or Resident Evil 5.

I like games with one difficulty setting like Super Mario Galaxy or The Legend of Zelda, they are so well designed that they don't need extra settings because they're fun anyway.

Rienimportant

Jan 12, 2010
Normal.
I like playing with some level of difficulty, but not hard for the first time through, especially if it's a story game, since I play first for the story then for the combat etc.

And then once I've beaten normal, I do the higher level of difficulties, and if I like it enough, I'll even bother with doing an easy difficulty run through just to say that I played all difficulty levels.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
I'll typically stick to the normal difficulty first. I only drop down if I have issues, and I like to understand the game's mechanics before I try anything tougher.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
I play most games on normal, but i play games like dragon age on causel, but most FPS on hard.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Normal. Especially if the game seems to be fairly story-heavy. And most of the games I choose and play, are story-heavy. lol

Mr.Teatime

Sep 8, 2010
Depends on if I played a prequel or something like it before. Usually the one just above normal.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
if its cod or anything of that nature... usually hard. Because ... it's easy.

everything else, normal.... :)

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Always normal, I'm no puss(y) in boots.

I will go down later if the game infuriates me to that point, but that has never happened before. I'm not playing Demon's Souls, not enough a selling point for it to die in one hit.

Dr Pyramid Head

Aug 16, 2011
Hard in RPGs, puzzlers, horror and platformers, normal for everything else.
If it's complete, I'll go up a diff. to extend the replayability and get a little better at it.

Cinderella Man

Aug 7, 2011
When I go to play a game for the first time I usually always play it on normal difficult, then afterwards I play it on it's hardest difficulty, so then i can get all of the achievements from the hard difficulty as well (usually). Well that's my strategy anyway.