is there a certain plot you enjoy say like and underdog rising above

or a certain genre, fantasy, future, past, horror, action/adventure

favorite character of all time?

Just tell me what you can.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
No comments in two days? What a shame.

Videogame: Persona 4
Character: The entire cast, each one of them are the best characters I've ever seen in a game.

Movie: OldBoy
Character: A tie between Oh Dae-su and Woo-jin

Play/Book: Dracula
Character: Dracula

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Persona 4 and The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.

I love me some tasty symbolism.

Conn1496

Apr 21, 2011
There's... too... many... to list... HNGGG.
Though at the minute, I really like the Lylat Wars' (AKA: Star Fox.) storyline. Blame it on me recently finding the Star Fox comics from back when.

[Also]: The fact that I'm a massive Star Fox fan (As if you can't tell from the avatar.).

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
The Dark Tower.

I mean, this is a tough call, but the DT is a long saga and I've read it four times. Currently working on a fifth. So I must like it a bit.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Fate/Stay Night the visual novel, and Steins;Gate the anime.
Favourite characters are Okabe and Saber.

Plot I enjoy...? Enjoy wouldn't be the right word. Fighting against a predetermined outcome, knowing full well you can't change it... I really like things that do this well, but christ do they make me depressed afterwards.

Pre Steins;Gate, Puella Magi Madoka Magica was my favourite anime. And my favourite film is Minority Report.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Probably the City Guard or the Witch series from Discworld. Vimes and Esme are two of my favorite characters ever. I've also been reading and loving the Spenser novels by Robert Parker since I was a kid. I actually was really hurt when he died a couple of years ago.

Nov 28, 2007
Despite the issues with the ending, I still love the overall story of Mass Effect. Just because .01% of it was crap doesn't discredit the epic feel of the first 99.99%.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Two of them would definitely be Cing games Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Last Window: The Secret of Cape West. That what make those two game so great since it's a detective like stories.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Berserk (the comic)

From volume 1 all the way up to volume 22 it has the most brilliant, epic, emotional, and twisted story I've ever encountered.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Blunderboy said:
The Dark Tower.

I mean, this is a tough call, but the DT is a long saga and I've read it four times. Currently working on a fifth. So I must like it a bit.
Good choice, sai.

OT: Hmmm... it could well be Dark Tower, but I want to finish the series before I decide.

Right now, it's definitely A Song of Ice and Fire.

It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

And so, the first mate said, "It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

And so, the first mate said, "It was a dark and stormy night. The captain of the ship gathered his crew, and called out to his first mate, "tell us a story, mate!"

Until finally, the captain put an end to it by pushing him overboard. The End.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
My favorite story? Well, I dunno. I sort of go through phases, and I never really stop liking a story once I discover it...but I guess right now I rather like Toradora and Doctor Who.

As for favorite type of story, I'm very open to those. But I tend to like stories which are more character-centered, not plot-centered. I think that's why I liked reading The Hobbit much better than the Lord of the Rings. The events that transpired in The Hobbit feel like the product of Bilbo's character; things would have gone differently had he been somebody else. LotR feels like it could have been anybody in those positions. The events of the world happened to them, not the other way around. And I just don't like that kind of storytelling. While I admire Tolkien as a writer and a storyteller, the LotR books just aren't my cup of tea.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Mass Effect 3 /obvious trolling

I would say the best story for me in a Video Game was Metal Gear Solid 3. It didn't have the overly complicated plot of the last few games, yet had enough that it didn't seem one layered. It felt like a really, really good spy thriller and it pulled that off extremely well. It had its funny moments, and it had its sad moments (the end, not the boss, had me near tears) and it also had its fucking awesome moments.

For a movie, I'm gonna say Kill Bill. It's a very simple story, about a woman getting revenge on the people that nearly killed her and killed her family. Yet it had so many nooks and crannies that made it an awesome story, that I would gladly read if it were in a book.

For a book, I'm going to be controversial here and say Fallout: Equestria. I know it's not really a book, but at about 50 chapters and 1400 pages it's definitely book length. Why? Because of that damn foreshadowing, it's so amazing it hurts. The pacing is incredible, with just the right amount of downtime before a HOLY SHIT action scene. For example, the chapter in the bar just before the chapter where they save the slaves from Appleloosa.

Nov 28, 2007
ToastiestZombie said:

I would say the best story for me in a Video Game was Metal Gear Solid 3. It didn't have the overly complicated plot of the last few games, yet had enough that it didn't seem one layered. It felt like a really, really good spy thriller and it pulled that off extremely well. It had its funny moments, and it had its sad moments (the end, not the boss, had me near tears) and it also had its fucking awesome moments.
You bastard. Well, either you or Hideo Kojima for making you actually pull that trigger. Anyone who says that MGS is full of crazy wacky plot points and nothing else seriously needs to play that game.

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Firstly very interesting topic its a shame it doesnt have more comments!

For me its

Games- The mass effect trilogy (yes even the ending)

Books- The chaos walking trilogy....just simply amazing if you havnt heard about it or have but havnt read go do it..the third book is just a masterpiece and the first 2 are amazing as well.

Movie- The dark knight. Love everything about that film!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
thebobmaster said:
ToastiestZombie said:

You bastard. Well, either you or Hideo Kojima for making you actually pull that trigger. Anyone who says that MGS is full of crazy wacky plot points and nothing else seriously needs to play that game.
Yeah at that scene at first I thought it was a cutscene. But then I was like "Oh shit, I've got to do it don't I". Then at the end when I heard about the Boss's true intentions that was when shit got much sadder.
But yeah, MGS3 had the best story because it just kept to a single story that you didn't need to of known every single character from MGS1 and 2 to know. Sure it had it's damn crazy moments, mainly the Cobra squad bosses but the rest was a simple linear action story that did it fucking well.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Good God....my favorite story?! That's "almost" like asking a parent to choose their favorite child.

Okay. Not really. But, still. It's pretty damned hard to pick ones "favorite". At least, in my case. Seeing as I've experienced a LOT of stories.

I'll try though...

Video Game Story - Half-Life/Portal or Homeworld
- While I still eagerly await the conclusion to one, and lament the absence of the other, so far these series has given me some of the best science-fiction writing I've ever seen in a game.
Video Game Character - Either the cast of Psychonauts or Half-Life/Portal
- Honestly, this is an incredibly hard choice. There are so many memorable, lovable, admirable, deplorable, and enjoyable characters in so many different games it's hard to just pick one. So I'll just go with the two games (series) that had my favorite cast of characters. (and bear in mind the two I picked barely edged out at least a dozen other choices) And, in both series cases, the cast starts out with an eclectic array of stereo-typical characters that, over the course of the story, build into a well-written, three-dimensional cast.

------------------------------------------------
Movie Story - I honestly can not pick just one. I just can't. There are some amazing filmic stories out there. Both old and new. Asking me to pick a favorite is nigh impossible. Even breaking it down into sub-genres makes it hard.

For example, sci-fi horror. I STILL couldn't pick just one. I could pick Alien, but I'd still have to include Aliens, The Thing, and several others. Or how about fantasy adventure? Well, there's the obvious choice of Lord of the Rings, but I'd be fooling myself if I didn't include the likes of Harry Potter, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, and others. Same goes for comedy, action, thrillers, and pretty much any other genre. I just can't pick.

Movie Character - See above.

Book Story - Much like with movies, I find it hard to pick one. However, I can tell you who my favorite authors are; as they have the highest ratio of "favorites" to their credit.

Michael Chrichton, Issac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Carl Sagan, J.R.R. Tolkien, J.K. Rowling, and Phillip K. Dick. I've loved virtually every story these authors have penned. They almost never failed to impress and entertain.

Book Character - Jesus.
- He's an immortal zombie-carpenter with super-powers. I don't care what your religion is, or even if you're an atheist like me, that's pretty bad ass.

Television Story - Easy. Star Trek.
- Yes, I'm a Trekky. Not the cos-playing, con-attending, collectables hording type, but rather the "God I love this series" type. I've seen every episode of every series many times (save the original series. not a fan), and probably know waaaaay too much about the story-verse Roddenberry created. Still, I'm not ashamed to admit my love for this sci-fi saga. It's given me some of the best sci-fi story telling and some of the most memorable characters and locales I've ever experienced; in any form. Besides, a lot of the real tech we use today; cell-phones, MRI machines, etc; exist because someone saw Star Trek and thought, "Hey. What if we really COULD do that?"
Television Character - Either Data (of Star Trek:TNG) or Doctor Who.
- To anyone familiar with these characters, I know I don't need to explain. To those who aren't, shame on you.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Favorite story, "Sword of Truth" book series, by Terry Goodkind.
Favorite plot type: epic sword and sorcery fantasy
Favorite character: Richard Rahl