What's your favorite video game of all time?

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I can't pick a top game of all time. Too many of equal standing.

Seiken Densetsu 3
Persona 3 Portable
Persona 4 Golden
Chrono Trigger
Skyrim
Those would be in the top 1%

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
Final Fantasy Tactics, followed closely by Earthbound. I own a PSP purely for FFT and I've beaten it more than half a dozen times, most of which while on a plane since I live on the East coast but most of my family and friends are on the West coast.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
It's hard to answer this question with only one game. Played games for 18 years. Owned and played several hundreds during that time and I've loved plenty of them.
Nostalgia vise I'd say Spyro the Dragon, like a few others here. It was my first Playstation game that I got when I was seven-ish. Played it like insane. Actually replayed it just a few days ago for the first time in over ten years and it's still a great game. The world is a lot smaller than I remembered, but the gameplay is still solid and just as fun as an adult as it was when I was a kid.
Final Fantasy X and Ratchet & Clank would also be contenders. My first PS2 games that simply blew me away with the graphics and voice acting. Still play them once in a while and they're still great(though I've grown to hate Tidus). There are better Final Fantasy games, but the mind blowing and combat is what makes it the best to me. By far my favorite combat system across all FF games.

LOTRO should also be mentioned. Played it almost daily for over three years. The atmosphere, the classes and the community were the best I had ever come across in alll the MMOs I've played. Unfortunetly Turbine keeps fucking the game up with each expansion. Haven't had a good one since Mines of Moria... and that was the first out of the five expansions we got now. Doing a farewell tour of the game at the moment and don't intend to come back after I'm done.

Sooo out of these I guess my favorite would be LOTRO, pre-Rise of Isengard, but I treasure Spyro the Dragon most of them all.
Sorry about the rambling and shit. Haven't slept tonight, so I'm only half conscious.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Man, I'm gonna be so original when I say mine, I bet no one else will agree or has said the same

P to the E to the R to the S to the O to the N to the A to the 4 golden.
everything that is good in the world, it is here. Ever since I got it, I've spent more time playing than I have sleeping. Of course, the same thing happened when I got Persona 4 classic as well.

This is how remakes should be, not only the same game, but improved graphics, new places and characters added, experiences improved all around. Also, inserting a kinda cliche Tsundere into your game will always get you some brownie points in my book

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, ever (and I'm still saddened by the death of my N64, since now I have to play it on a shitty emulator).
What can I say about? Its the first game that I had experienced that I now regard as a work of art. The story is fantastic, the side quests are great, and the emphasis on side questing gets you to care about the world of Termina. There are some great theories about the game that endear it even more to me.
And you know what? The time system was amazing. It organically added tension to the game; one of my favorite memories was frantically scrambling around the Stone Tower, trying desperately to conquer the dungeon, while the clock read merely 2 hours left before the final countdown. Same thing happened in the Great Bay Temple, but that was probably just me being cocky, thinking that I didn't need to start a new cycle after completing the Pirate Fortress. Boy, was I wrong.
The story itself manages to both hit the Zelda formula, and be wholly unique on its own. Its a fantastic sequel that surpasses Ocarina of Time in every single aspect, and I will take that statement all the way to the grave if I have to.
Link's story is fantastic. It raises a significant question; after being billed as the Destined Hero, and then fulfilling that destiny at a young age, what are you supposed to do for the rest of your life? Link in Majora's Mask is just a guy; there's no talk about being the chosen one, he doesn't have to collect some mystical sword to smite all evil (you can finish the game with the sword you start with, upgrading it is just a side quest), and he isn't in possession of the Triforce of Courage anymore. At the beginning of the game, he gets mugged by Skull Kid. He then pursues Skull Kid into his little cave... and is defeated and is turned into a deku scrub. He then tracks Skull Kid down to the top of Clock Tower, only to horrifyingly realize he can do absolutely nothing to stop him.
Do you see what the game is getting at in its opening moments? Link, the great hero of time who stopped the greatest evil Hyrule had ever known, was easily defeated three times in quick secession. Wow.
This raises the serious question; did Link defeat Ganondorf because he was simply stronger than him, or because he was the hero time and also in position of the triforce of courage? If so, how is he supposed to live the rest of his life, if the one thing he was going to be known for was something that destiny had already preordained was going to happen anyway?

The above is the realization I had about Majora's Mask that catapulted it from merely being in my top ten, and directly into the top spot (there's a veritable ocean of space between #1 and #2, as well).

I'm going to stop here, since anymore discussion about it would endanger this post of turning into a novel. I could talk about Majora's Mask and all its intricacies and the theories that surround it for months on end, and if Nintendo gets off their fat asses and remakes it like they've been hinting at for over a goddamn year now, then I probably will post several articles talking about the game. This game is both an integral part of my childhood (because, being the youngest, I was the only sibling who was skilled and patient enough to beat it first), as well as my adulthood. Its the kind of game that impacted me in a life-altering way. So many lessons were taught to me through that game that I owe Nintendo so very much. And David Cage? You and your polygons to go fuck themselves, because Majora's Mask was a very emotional game, packed full of happiness, quirkiness, and sadness...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Proverbial Jon said:
Evonisia said:
Silent Hill 2 was a great game, imo it's story is second only to Silent Hill 4's, but 4 had bad (even by SH standards) gameplay. It's also my third (I think) favourite SH. But by realistic, do you mean 'realistic for them'? I'm pretty sure that a society wouldn't go and form a city in the sky if you know what I mean.
Ah, yes. I didn't even remember using the word realistic until I re-read my post! The idea I was aiming for was how well those games create a believable world, one I can become engrossed in and forget that it isn't real. Maybe Columbia isn't realistic in any sense of the word but I was totally pulled into the experience. Poor choice of words on my part!

I've never really given SH4 that much time in all honesty. The gameplay has always ruined it for me along with the repeated environments. I keep meaning to go back and play again, it certainly has a brilliant premise and some truly horrifying moments. Those Twin Victims in the Water Prison? *Shudder*

I'd be interested to know how you rank SH in order of your favourites.
Silent Hill 4 needs the day time damnit! Wait, I meant night time.

I rank 'em like I rank most games, just based on how much I enjoyed myself in them. If everything in Silent Hill 2 was as shocking, unexpected and effective as the burning staircase scene it would definitely be my favourite game of all time (the feels, man).

As it stands it'd probably go along the lines of:
Downpour
4: The Room
Shuttered Mammaries Shattered Memories and 1
Homecoming

Haven't played or seen gameplay of Origins but I've not high expectations of it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Can't be done!
Seriously I have trouble listing a top twenty
It's the same with music

but my man Grey has picked one of my finest gaming moments

Grey Edwards said:
Mass Effect 2:

When I first got to the suicide mission, I was really psyched up for it. The music, the direction, the execution, all of it left me on edge with adrenaline pumping, and an early mistake about what classified as a techie(I was still thinking in ME1 terms and thought Mordin was the engineer class...) left me terrified that even the slightest misstep could cause me to lose another beloved character. It will forever, in my mind, be the greatest hour in gaming history.
Tru dat!

jdavies655

Apr 5, 2013
I would be divided by Assassins Creed 2 and Jurassic Park operation Genesis.
AC@ because it was this game that got me hooked on the franchise and is just all round a good game and JP because that game was my childhood, i recently started replaying it and it's as fun as i remember.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Persona 4 Golden (PS VITA) is my favorite game of all time , no J-rpg yet got even close to it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I think Super Metroid is mine. I'm not sure it was the most exciting game I've played or the longest I spent my time on, but I choose it because of it's amazing design, many many secrets and subtle hints throughout the entire game, including every thing else is great as well.

It's introduction with the quick briefing, epic theme and tutorial was breath taking, I had to play it again. Then after that you are left in the middle of nowhere with a million mystery's you have to solve. There is no story shoved in your face because it's about the challenges, challenges that require a bit of thinking and skill to push on. And the unique atmosphere, which is what I think sucked me in to the point that I wagged 3 days of school in a row (no regrets), always gives you the chilling feeling of danger all around and loneliness. Also, every time you get a new item it really feels like a big reward. All the bosses are fun since they make you have to move around a lot.

Yeah, just everything about it is special.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
It's incredibly difficult to narrow down to a single game, I have many I frequently find myself going back to, in no particular order:

Legend of Mana
Super Mario RPG
Earthbound
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy XII
Skyrim
Minecraft

I have tons of others I really enjoy, but those are the ones I keep being drawn back into at least once a year.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
putowtin said:
Can't be done!
Seriously I have trouble listing a top twenty
It's the same with music

but my man Grey has picked one of my finest gaming moments

Grey Edwards said:
Mass Effect 2:

When I first got to the suicide mission, I was really psyched up for it. The music, the direction, the execution, all of it left me on edge with adrenaline pumping, and an early mistake about what classified as a techie(I was still thinking in ME1 terms and thought Mordin was the engineer class...) left me terrified that even the slightest misstep could cause me to lose another beloved character. It will forever, in my mind, be the greatest hour in gaming history.
Tru dat!
The suicide mission is among some of the best gaming "levels" I've ever played. It just feels so climactic, and I actually felt like there was actual danger around me. Mass Effect 2 is a freakin' great game.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Kingdom of Paradise for the PSP.

It's everything I love about JRPGs (good, cheesy, good guys win story, fantastic music, excellent setting and art style, interesting characters, etc) without the stuff I don't like about JRPGs (specifically the fact that this game has action-RPG combat, instead of turn based).

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
#1, for reasons of pure time put into it and always being able to go back to it and enjoy it: Rock Band 3. Although, really, it's just the collection of Rock Band as a whole and I have songs from each of the games, I can always fall back on enjoying some simple, solid rhythm gaming.

Aaaand, to round out my top 10, where the parenthesis denotes the platform I played it on...

2. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (PS2)
3. Kirby Superstar (SNES)
4. Minecraft (PC/360)
5. Portal (PS3/360)
6. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3/360)
7. Bioshock (PS3/360)
8. Pokémon Silver (GBC)
9. Borderlands (PS3/360)
10. Left 4 Dead (360/PC)

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Poppy JR. said:
Arina Love said:
Persona 4 Golden (PS VITA) is my favorite game of all time , no J-rpg yet got even close to it.
Is golden only on PSV?
Yep only Vita, it's basically expanded version of Persona 4. New events, new character , expanded ending and of course visual and gameplay improvements there too.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I've said it before and i'm sure i'll say it again...Rockman for the vic 20...best game i ever played! 29 years on and it still looks like fun :)

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
CannibalCorpses said:
I've said it before and i'm sure i'll say it again...Rockman for the vic 20...best game i ever played! 29 years on and it still looks like fun :)
No relation to Mega man, huh?

Mega Man's name in Japan is Rockman.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Poppy JR. said:
CannibalCorpses said:
No relation to Mega man, huh?

Mega Man's name in Japan is Rockman.
Nope...it's the daddy of Boulderdash! 3 years older than Megaman aswell...