What's your favorite video game of all time?

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Strain42 said:
Legend of Mana for the Playstation 1.

I know it's the black sheep of the Mana series, and I'll say up front that game is FAR from perfect, but it's the closest I've ever come to a perfect game, especially when my overall biggest complaint is that I wish there was just more of it.

The game is gorgeous, despite being a PS1 game it uses an artwork style presentation that still holds up to certain games made today. The world and characters are vast and interesting, and the levels of customization available in spells, armor, weapons, golems, and monsters is staggering.

It does a good job of blending serious story with an air of comedy, it's got pretty fun co-op options, and a lot of neat options for replay value.

To me the most noteworthy thing is I've beaten the game over 100 times, and I'm still discovering new things, however small. You never know what mixing up the order you do certain quests in or having along a certain NPC at a certain time might add to the dialogue.

And don't even get me started on the soundtrack <3

Yeah it has its flaws, combat can be a little repetitive, the same monsters always being in the same places can make it repetitive, but I really feel like the flaws it has can be overlooked with how amazing the rest of the game is.

I still just play through it every now and then for the fun, and I can't say that about a lot of games out there.

No doubt about it, Legend of Mana is my absolute favorite.
That's the sequel to Secret of Mana for the SNES, right?

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Resident Evil 4. Has been since the first time I played it and I would imagine it always will be.

It was one of (if not THE) the first games I played where I felt like I was doing more than just killing time. I mean I love Crash Bandicoot and Worms and Tekken 3 and Ratchet & Clank and they're all great games but I didn't find a single one of them as engaging as Resi 4.

Truthfully it's hard to say what makes it such a firm favourite for me, particularly as I was never especially enamoured with the original games, but if I had to try and choose one main draw it has it'd probably be the actual gameplay. I mean the story's not bad but it's fairly basic, as are the majority of the characters, and visually the game used a lot of grey-y brown which I tend to dislike in modern games. The gameplay on the other hand really put you under pressure. If you wanted to take a shot at an attacking enemy you had to stop, effectively giving ground and potentially putting yourself in trouble should you miss. Plus the inventory system and gun upgrades were just excellent (as were all the guns themselves), forcing you to choose carefully what guns were worth the space they would take and what upgrades were most worth your hard earned pesatas.

Outside of that the general atmosphere is pretty spectacular. In particular the village at the beginning was just an inspired choice, with its general eeriness and scary locals shouting at you in spanish and throwing sharp objects at your head. Andthe soundtrack was perfectly designed for the game, going down a less conventional route focusing on being unsettling or tense at the right times in place of more typical melodical sountracks. Plus of course there's the merchant ("'ello stranger") and it's hard to forget the sheer terror of hearing Dr. Salvador's chainsaw revving up and knowing you have mere seconds before he's within decapitating range.

All these things are probably present in some form or another in other games but somehow the way they're tied together in Resi 4 just worked (for me at least), to the point that it was the first game that made me think video games might one day be seen as an art form like literature or film.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Carmageddon takes that cake for me!

Carnage, pretty large open levels, you can explore the crap out of every map (game even rewards you with power-ups for doing this), awesome level designs aswell as vehicle design. The Sequel took it up to 11 like a sequel should.

It has to share it's first place with this game though:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl, for these reasons:

Tactical battles, rewards with exploring, enviromental hazards you have to avoid, amazing atmosphere, actually scary unlike most horror games and it gives the difficulty level I want in a game. It's tough as nails but that encourages thinking before acting, which I love in games.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
A relatively new and old pick for me. New is Far Cry 3, just the story, gameplay and characters got me pretty hard. First game I finished 100% too.

Old pick is System Shock 2. A survival horror game that if we didn't get it, we wouldn't have gotten Bioshock. It's amazing, still scary and just insane.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Poppy JR. said:
Strain42 said:
That's the sequel to Secret of Mana for the SNES, right?
Yes, and no. I mean it is another part of the Mana series, just like Secret, but Legend has always been closer to a spin-off than a sequel just because of how different it is from the other Mana games.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter on the N64 (PC version as well)

Replayed it countless times as a kid, and countless times as an adult.

It was between that and Turok 2, but the first game was much more fluid, and doesn't feel like as much of a chore to play sometimes. I blame the N64 versions low framerate for Turok 2 not being my all time favorite.

For the PS2 generation, I'm saying Metal Gear Solid 3. It's the first game to make me tear up towards the end, with fantastic visuals, story, and amazing gameplay for the time, and even today.

PS3/360 gen: A cross between Far Cry 3, and Deus Ex: HR.

Far Cry 3 has gorgeous visuals, a large island to explore, and a fantastic antagonist (Vaas, obviously)
Deus Ex: HR had an engrossing world and setting, a great story, and so many fantastic ways to play.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
0takuMetalhead said:

Carnage, pretty large open levels, you can explore the crap out of every map (game even rewards you with power-ups for doing this), awesome level designs aswell as vehicle design. The Sequel took it up to 11 like a sequel should.

Tactical battles, rewards with exploring, enviromental hazards you have to avoid, amazing atmosphere, actually scary unlike most horror games and it gives the difficulty level I want in a game. It's tough as nails but that encourages thinking before acting, which I love in games.
Pretty sure Carmaggedon has an IOS port, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure of its quality, however.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Poppy JR. said:
0takuMetalhead said:

Pretty sure Carmaggedon has an IOS port, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure of its quality, however.
IOS/Android port is almost the same: Upgraded engine allowing better visuals and a few tweaks here and there, it's a port how a port should be done. Touch screen controls are pretty great aswell, and you hear this from someone who dislikes touchscreens. Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend the IOS/Android port.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
0takuMetalhead said:
Poppy JR. said:
0takuMetalhead said:

IOS/Android port is almost the same: Upgraded engine allowing better visuals and a few tweaks here and there, it's a port how a port should be done. Touch screen controls are pretty great aswell, and you hear this from someone who dislikes touchscreens. Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend the IOS/Android port.
Sweet! I'll have to check that out.

ChorltontheDragon

Oct 28, 2013
I have two. My first is Legend of Zelda, Link's Awakening for the original Gameboy. It introduced me to the Zelda world and i've been a fan ever since.

My second is Dragon Age Origins. It was a game with a great story and characters I really cared about. I still play it now.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I can never pick one absolute favorite over another, so I'll just list a few of my all time favorites.

-Final Fantasy VI(SNES, PSX)
-Mega Man X(SNES)
-Mass Effect Trilogy(Xbox 360)
-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time(Nintendo 64, 3DS)
-Grandia II(PS2... and still has the best combat system I've ever seen in any JRPG)
-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess(Game Cube)
-Persona 4 Golden(PS Vita)
-Dragon Age: Origins(PC)

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
Ah, jeez, that's like asking me to choose between my children... I don't have any children, though. This post is going to date me anyways, so I figure I'll just throw that out there.

Mine tends to change around a lot, but right now, it's probably Team Fortress 2. I only started playing it when Free to Play came out, but I've had a lot of good times with internet friends playing that. Super Smash Brothers' three iterations were also great fun with IRL friends, and Mario Party 4 and Mario Kart Double Dash were the two games my little sister would play with me growing up. (My sister's not sick or dead or anything; she's fine.)

My favourite single-player experiences are probably Super Mario Galaxy and Civilization V. Pokemon also holds a special place in my heart (I still love those games, even if they're a little samey at times), particularly Leaf Green, as that was the first time I defeated the Elite Four without using over-leveled legendaries or borrowed Pokemon from friends. I've beaten Leaf Green like six times since xD. I remember in my first (failed) run-through of that game, I only used this one Golem that I named "Kill that!". Almost all of my other Pokemon were ones I caught freshly off of Victory Road, and most of were the same type, so my team sucked. My starter was actually left in the box right after it evolved because it was under-leveled from me only using my Golem. I wish I'd tried to play it more with friends, but what's past is past. I was never a Zelda fan until my cousin gave me his old N64, a game that I was surprised to see lived up to most of the hype and aged phenomenally, even without the nostalgia goggles. I was too stupid and impatient to beat it without looking at a walkthrough now and again, though.

Now that I'm a little more mature, games like Portal 1 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins and XCOM: Enemy Unknown are working their way up my list, but I always come back to games like Smash Bros. and Leaf Green.

... Well shit, that was a real nice trip down memory lane.

Thank you for posting this thread. :)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Proverbial Jon said:
Favourite video game of all time?

Silent Hill 2 hands down, every time.

This game does it all. The concept of the story is simple: find your dead wife who is inexplicably waiting for you within Silent Hill. Battle horrors from the deepest corners of your own psyche. For me the most amazing part is how well the story is weaved within the gameplay and environments, creating an amazingly terrifying and yet compelling narrative. You get more and more out of this game on repeat plays.

I love feeling emoshuns in games and this one has them all. In fact I find SH2 so bloody scary that I can't play it very often and I have to be in the right frame of mind which I think is awesome. It makes the game even more special to play. Then of course there's the greatest antagonist of all time...

Half Life 2, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite... they all tell amazing stories and realistic, living worlds. But none come close to my personal experience of Silent Hill 2.
Silent Hill 2 was a great game, imo it's story is second only to Silent Hill 4's, but 4 had bad (even by SH standards) gameplay. It's also my third (I think) favourite SH. But by realistic, do you mean 'realistic for them'? I'm pretty sure that a society wouldn't go and form a city in the sky if you know what I mean.

tranceformat

Mar 14, 2012
Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite to be specific,but I've played all the PSP versions and caught a glimpse of the (sadly a lot better) Wii and Wii U ones and while it's true they wouldn't exist without the PSP versions first,MH3U is the only game I would actually buy a console to play.
Still,as tough it may to be to properly understand and get into the games,it's extremely rewarding to finally take down that one really hard monster and then skinning it and taking parts of its dead carcass to put on your head as a trophy and...huh.I don't think the game would be anywhere near as lighthearted on first glance should it be made by a western game company.
Shame it did so poorly everywhere except Japan,we could be playing PC versions without needing fake korean social security numbers and whatnot.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Exhuminator said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Grandia. The first one.
How do you feel Grandia II and III hold up in comparison?
Well, I did have a go at Grandia II. It was a decent game, but didn't really 'hit the spot' like the original did. It had good characters, and I even found the protagonist to be perfectly likeable.

Yeah, I don't usually like games with moody and cranky protagonists, but this guy's banter was actually amusing enough to make up for it. He came across as a curmudgeon rather than an emo crybaby ([small]*cough*[/small]Squall[small]*cough*[/small]), and that made all the difference!

The story started out all right, intriguing and well paced, but the formula (travel to town, fix town's problems, travel to next town) eventually just got old. I ended up abandoning the game about halfway through, but am not entirely sure that I won't have another whack at it someday. I do feel that it kind of deserves a second chance.

I've never tried Grandia III, and I don't plan to. I understand that it wasn't even complete before release, that it's just a quick stroll through a completely linear world - littered here and there with an occasional dead-end that was supposed to be a side quest or diversion that never made it in. Anyway, IF I ever feel like a Grandia-like experience that doesn't feature cheerful, optimistic Justin, I'll be going for Grandia II!

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, that would have to be Timesplitters: Future Perfect. The third and last game in the series, it's the one that I think really brought itself up to speed with other shooters of the time, while keeping a personality and style of gameplay that made it stand out.

Made my internet persona an obscure monster from that game specifically, because he's cool. And sorta cute. I think so, at least...what's cuter than an eyeless flesh-monster that makes widdle squeaky noises?

Looking forward to Rewind so I can see him in high-res glory, shooting the crap out of things, just like the old days.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Phantom Dust for the Xbox.

I love that game.

Think Soul Caliber X Magic the Gathering.

After that would be Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes, and KUF: Crusaders along with Magic the Gathering Battlegrounds and Demon's Souls.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
busterkeatonrules said:
Grandia. The first one.

This game is a genuine joy to play. It is colorful, comical and light-hearted, but still manages to convey an awe-inspiring, epic feel as main man Justin and crew explore its sprawling world (spanning two cram-packed PS1 discs!)

The graphics are somewhat primitive, but the game world is still beautifully crafted and it's clear from the outset that everybody involved wanted to make the best game possible with the resources available. (And Grandia actually looks better than Final Fantasy VII!)

The combat system is hailed as pure genius to this day. It is surprisingly deep, yet as intuitive as anything. Leave the game for ten years, come back, resume kicking ass. And yes, I am actually speaking from experience here. It IS turn-based, but FAR more dynamic than in Final Fantasy games of its time. The battle screen actually looks like a battle, for one thing.

-actually rivals most of Nobuo Uematsu's work! YES, I just said that. No regrets.

Seriously, people, try Grandia if you haven't already. It's available on PSN. It's like playing through a Studio Ghibli movie!
[small]OK, I admit that I haven't tried Ni No Kuni. It's expensive, hard to find, and has been getting less-than-promising reviews.[/small]
See, I didn't care for the first one at all, but Grandia 2 is one of my all time favorite jRPGs. On the subject of Ni no Kuni, it's on sale on the PSN right now, and is going for $20 new at my local Walmart. I picked up my copy for like $12 from GameStop.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Evonisia said:
Silent Hill 2 was a great game, imo it's story is second only to Silent Hill 4's, but 4 had bad (even by SH standards) gameplay. It's also my third (I think) favourite SH. But by realistic, do you mean 'realistic for them'? I'm pretty sure that a society wouldn't go and form a city in the sky if you know what I mean.
Ah, yes. I didn't even remember using the word realistic until I re-read my post! The idea I was aiming for was how well those games create a believable world, one I can become engrossed in and forget that it isn't real. Maybe Columbia isn't realistic in any sense of the word but I was totally pulled into the experience. Poor choice of words on my part!

I've never really given SH4 that much time in all honesty. The gameplay has always ruined it for me along with the repeated environments. I keep meaning to go back and play again, it certainly has a brilliant premise and some truly horrifying moments. Those Twin Victims in the Water Prison? *Shudder*

I'd be interested to know how you rank SH in order of your favourites.