What's your flirt tactic?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Um... I talk.

But seriously, I find it odd that despite having had three girlfriends, I don't know how to flirt. Since most of what spews out of my cerebral orifice is molten geekery, I can't imagine attracting too many of the opposite gender. However, I'm sure there are those who go for that, the only problem being they're either my exes, married or I haven't met them yet.

Ridiculous story: one of my GW friends got his (then) girlfriend by randomly walking up to her and asking 'what's your favourite sexual position?'

Rrrrrrrrrrrrright. And this is the man who refers to his Ribena as 'period juice'... fucking hell, he's a real nutjob (great to be around, despite all that weirdness).

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
SonofaJohannes said:
I scream the word "intercourse" and hope that somebody takes the hint.
I'm not sure why, but that post immediately reminded me of
that is an awful awful song.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
Wow. I'm not the most out going of persons... but usually "Talk to the other person like a respectable human being" works more oft than not.

Not really a tactic, but if you want to talk to them, then do so. Don't over think it, just talk, and try to keep it relevant and interesting. Don't interrupt them if they are doing something that they were giving their attention to (like a lecture or a meeting, or a movie), you can just wait till afterwards ^_^. You can always start with a greeting, even by just saying "Hi" or "Hello" would be sufficient enough to ask about the happenstance that brings the both of you together. If you find that you are the only one doing all the talking, then try to engage them in conversations that invite them to talk more.

If they don't feel like talking, or you get the feeling that they're not really interested in a conversation, then there is no sense in wasting all your breath, it's always best to be polite and casually close the conversation, which could be as simple as "well, I hope you have a good time, take care" or "ok well, I'm going to run, it was nice talking with you". etc etc. Just try it, and the more you do, the more confident you will be in starting conversations with people. Flirting comes naturally after that.

Protip: don't have bad breath. Or other offending scents.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Girl With One Eye said:
Hide in the corner and avoid eye contact at all costs.
Is your name from the Florence + The Machine? Love her + the band.

I can hold a conversation pretty well. So I try talking to them!

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I just talk to them and decide if they are worthy of me, which it usually ends up no.

I am not much of a catch, but most people around here are quite dumb.
My only big advantage is I have a Porsche (a 1987 944S, which isn't in perfect shape but is far from hunk of junk status). The fact it sits so low and is so short means I avoid fat chicks because they can't get in or out of it. You have to be as small and agile as it is.

CAPTCHA:
Scarcely Welive
So true, we do scarcely live.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I've always been a fan of

Step 1) horrible pick up line (borderline insulting/harassment)
Step 2) Acknowledge how horrible the line was and apologize.
Step 3) Offer to buy her dinner to make up for the horrible pick up line.

It has a 35% success rate. Beyond that eye contact, avoid staring at her body, pick out a feature and complement it. Confidence is key.

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
Get so drunk I can't remember what I did... Current success ratio: 100%

pulse2

May 10, 2008
If all else fails, try these: Hi there babe, I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you, so I thought I'd come up to you and give you notice that I'm interested in you in the same way you're interested in me, what you say we ditch this joint?

Or: Excuse me, the word of the day is legs, lets go back to my place and spread the word :D

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I don't seem to be alone in this from the looks of it, but I really don't know how to flirt, not intentionally anyway. So if a good looking guy/girl walks in, most of the time I won't have the balls to approach them. Even if I do, I'll most likely babble incoherently at them, until I can forge a couple of small talk questions, then panic and run away.

*insert obligatory 'Forever Alone' pic here*

major28

Feb 25, 2010
so far for every girl I've dated I do the following: live next to her for 10 yeas then ask her out one day.

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLPZmPaHme0

Pretty much this sort of thing.
Apart from that... bring on the sad experiences *grabs nacho's* Discuss!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
pulse2 said:
So this gorgeous girl / guy just walked in (By "in", I'm most likely referring to a stable environment of which you can instigate conversation, and no, not your home because that would instead be invasive, unless of course you were having a party etc), how do you go about instigating conversation with the person and what do you usually do to find success depending on what you were looking for in the first place, be it a relationship or fling.
Well, the first thing I'd do is not think in terms of 'instigate'. Negative connotation word, and I - a writer in trade - want to use the best words possible, even in thought. I'm a little hard on myself in that sense. In any case, mine is the act of just opening an innocent conversation with people. People don't know a thing about me and since I have enough paranoia when I have cause for it, I don't waste it on being neurotic. Ergo, I can talk to people normally.

So, I strike up a conversation, have a few laughs. How's life treating you? Did you hear about that recent topical thing I just remembered? I'm the sort of guy who gets into another person's life as someone they feel they can talk to. With so many people vying for other people and building up the stress of having to deal with these people, I'm the one who isn't so demanding in subtext. In short, my flirt leaves a more interesting impression on others.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
pulse2 said:
So this gorgeous girl / guy just walked in (By "in", I'm most likely referring to a stable environment of which you can instigate conversation, and no, not your home because that would instead be invasive, unless of course you were having a party etc), how do you go about instigating conversation with the person and what do you usually do to find success depending on what you were looking for in the first place, be it a relationship or fling.
I play the "shy, aloof, introspective guy" kind of deal. It usually involves the girl coming up to me, and I'll seem somewhat interested, but busy thinking about something deep, staring at a window or something. Most of the time, it doesn't work, but some girls find that dreamy. It helps to have long, strait hair, and hipster clothing.

Yeah, I think I'm a douchebag too...

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Personally I dislike flirting. I don't like it when people flirt with me, so I don't flirt back. I also detest pickup lines and being hit on.

Buuuut, conversation is always nice. I'd probably only try to strike up a conversation with them only if they either came in alone (I'd find it intrusive if you're trying to hang out with friends and someone jumps right in, plus there's also the chance that one of those friends is actually their boyfriend) or if they started talking to me. I'm not very initiative, but at the very least I'm not socially awkward.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
pulse2 said:
If all else fails, try these: Hi there babe, I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you, so I thought I'd come up to you and give you notice that I'm interested in you in the same way you're interested in me, what you say we ditch this joint?

Or: Excuse me, the word of the day is legs, lets go back to my place and spread the word :D
Or one of my favourites: "Arr, pardon me, but would ye mind if I fired me cannon through yer porthole?"