What's your latest obsession?

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Well when you put it that way . . . .

I'm not even saying that for the joke. I've just been into Blind Guardian and the Wheel of Time books a lot lately.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Johnny Impact said:
Ravenloft. Always wanted to run a horror game. Going to have a chance to do so in a couple months. Currently plowing through the sourcebooks. Even choosing video games for inspiration -- Dead Space 3, Dark Souls, Black Flag.
I'd be careful with Ravenloft. With long experience I can tell you it tends to work best as part of another campaign, with the PCs stepping into the mists occasionally for an adventure, either as the result of being randomly sucked in, or with someone providing them with a "Scroll Of Return" or knowledge of an oh-so-rare portal and sending them on a mission.

The reason is that each domain is a self defined cosm with limits that can be controlled by each particular lord, many of whom hate each other, and keep everyone locked in or out. What's more most of these dimensions within the pocket dimension have their own rules, and many re-write the minds of the people inside of them to conform with that domain's sense of history and reality. The idea being that if your in Ravenloft too long you become PART of Ravenloft and furthermore part of whatever realm you happen to be in at the time. Or at least that's how it used to be when I was using it. This is how the game explained how say you might have some guys in one place with a thriving Egyptian-themed culture and another place where everything is based off of Hollywood Translyvania. With rare exceptions these areas are set up to have no contact with each other which is how you deal with the question of why the Dark Sun based pocket doesn't say conflict with the Victorian-type pocket, or a band of Half Giants don't say wander in and drink Strahd's milkshake since their stats are so much higher than his (Strahd can be taken down, and is intended to be beatable by a group of regular 10th level characters in most adventures, even with all his tricks for example, doing so is the subject of the many, many, reprints of "Castle Ravenloft" which started this whole thing, and there have been domains created for much higher level threats). It's also why say you don't have lengthy cosmological discussions between guys from Krynn, Greyhawk, and The Forgotten Realms all meeting since nobody remembers where they are from for long.

As a GM this becomes a pain in the arse because fundamentally each domain is an adventure, with a pretty straightforward "discover who Foozle is and then kill him" plot. Once foozle is dead, that section of the pocket dimension then disappears and the PCs either get returned to their respective worlds (classic module type Ravenloft) or get bumped into another domain for their adventure. The problem of course being that at this point everyone's minds are thus going to re-write themselves. So let's say you start a game at level 1 and they kill some domain run by a horrific goblin lord, by the time they have done a few adventures they literally won't remember anything that happened back then, growing to believe they have always been in whatever world they are a part of. Kill Strahd, a week later (it might be longer, it's been a while) if your still in Ravenloft your going "Strahd who" and if you've say been in some Egyptian setting plagued by a mummy lord you think your an Egyptian-type guy, and everyone needs to re-work their background beliefs to explain who they think they are.

Also unless they changed it the GM tends to be encouraged to screw with the PCs in a "catch 22" fashion, which can be fun for a while, but gets annoying especially for the players. Basically if the PCs act immorally they become corrupted and eventually wind up getting so many horrible mutations and gifts that they become lord of a new domain and go on to NPC-land (ans since they can't leave they would be hard to play anyway), on the other hand if the PCs don't behave badly the mists, this being the demi-plane of psychotic evil, punishes them as opposed to the previous "reward" so the more good they are the more horrible things the GM is supposed to do to them (and by this I don't mean tempting them to evil) as the world literally conspires to screw with them. This means your either doomed to be a villain, or to eventually face rather arbitrary character assassination in a prolonged campaign.

I'm just saying put some thought into it, I've seen this go wrong a lot, including when I've tried to GM ongoing campaigns using the setting. It can be hard to get rid of some of the odder mechanics because when you say remove the amnesia/belief rewrite thing it becomes harder to justify how all these little cosms exist and don't influence each other in the cases where the lords leave their borders open. Strahd and Azalin sending armies against each other is one thing, but it gets far weirder.

At any rate all rambling aside, if your looking to play video games for inspiration there are actually TWO Ravenloft games, "Strahd's Possession" and "Stone Prophet" both of which might be public domain now or on various cheap old games sites. Both use the whole "visitors" things where you play a couple of adventurers from The Forgotten Realms who wind up in Ravenloft with the eventual goal of curb stomping the local lord and leaving. There is a very loose connection between them. The first game is pretty much the regular Transylvanian "Ravenloft" setting which includes some bits from classic versions of the module, the second involves the Egyptian realm (the name eludes me off the top of my head) and instead of a Vampire Foozle is your basic super-powerful Mummy guy.

If you can find it Dungeon Adventures magazine had a Ravenloft adventure I quite liked and ran a couple of times, sadly I don't have my magazines anymore to give you the specific name but there might be archives of them around on the internet somewhere. It involved a very small domain, a haunted house, where the "Lord" was actually an intelligent evil sword as opposed to a traditional monster. Which was an interesting spin on why the protagonists can't leave the haunted house (pocket dimension borders in the demi-plane sealed by the "lord") and the PCs figuring out they were ultimately up against an item with specific "to destroy" requirements rather than a monster which could be confronted traditionally. The adventure was designed whereby one PC would be the previously unknown heir to an estate, and when they enter the estate they wind up passing into Ravenloft via a curse. It can be clever since it doesn't necessarily require any keep knowledge of Ravenloft or the PCs to know why they are facing what they are, but some savvy players might guess if it's not mentioned when they look outside the windows and see only mist. Of course the nature of that adventure is that since it's a curse, once the sword is beaten and the intelligence banished they return to their normal world, and are in an empty (though very nice) house. Typically they aren't going to be around long enough (either killed or having won) to worry about long term Ravenloft exposure nor around long enough to really worry about mutations/gifts or slotting off the "malign intelligence" of the place through routine do gooding, unless some dude pulls out a Holy Avenger which always get attention if I remember because those are one of the few good artifacts that still work and it's like a lightning rod for attention getting, but the odds of anyone having one of those is usually minimal.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Queen Michael said:
So lately I've been really into SF. I finish on average one science-fiction book every week. What's your latest thing you're suddenly super into?
Oddly enough given my less than healthy hands... collecting, repairing, and painting wargaming figures. No odds of playing in my area, I've just gotten into messing with them, buying broken ones (partly lack of funds, partly because I actually enjoy trying to fix some of them) and turning them into something palatable. I get some new ones as well, but mostly a mixed bag of whatever is really cheap and used. :)

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Well KSP and BeamNG just had big updates so I'm getting back into them.
And in the real world I just keep spending all my wages on Lego.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
HunterXHunter would be mine. I just got done watching the whole anime. I started watching it a year or two ago, but I just restarted watching it 2-3 weeks ago. After getting to a certain point, I got bit by the Hunter bug, and spent many of my evenings marathoning the series. Now that it is currently over, I am a bit sad at the news that the mangaka has been doing infrequent updates to the manga(some say due to failing health, others say due to laziness). I will most likely begin reading the manga soon, but due to the manga currently being ongoing, I may find myself waiting for quite a while for an update.

I really enjoyed the anime, even if it did drag in a few parts(specifically the second half of the Chimera Ant arc).

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
0takuMetalhead said:
The most glaring one is how the word datasphere got transelated: in the dutch version they speak of a 'datasfeer' (sfeer normally refers to someone's mood).
Huh. I'm glad I read the original, in that case.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Therumancer said:
I've never ran D&D but I do feel having everything be part of the Planescape multiverse makes it more interesting. Sure, you're entire campaign could involve exploring Faerun but it doesn't mean at some point you couldn't inadvertently walk through a portal to Mechanus and all of a sudden it's fun times with Modrons.

Anyway for me I've been watching Noir films as of late which have been pretty enjoyable.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm currently obsessed with watching people do Let's Plays of Life is Strange, Episode 2. I'm utterly fascinated to see the way they react to the climax of that episode.

capcha: want more? hell yes I want more!! It's a thread about obsession! ARE YOU MAD CAPCHA?!

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Therumancer said:
snippity snip
Don't worry about careful. That part is in the bag. For a game like this to work, more preparation is required. Between reading sourcebooks, drawing up antagonists a bit more full-bodied than "Vampire Foozle," and so forth, I expect to spend 100+ hours just getting the campaign ready. We're going to stay in one community the whole time, so I intend to have a robust stable of NPCs with conflicting interests, dirty secrets, and quests to hand out.

Actually only Darkon rewrites memories. The biggest problem in other domains is probably Madness saves. And those are only a problem if you see them as such. A dose of nyctophobia can be great for roleplaying. That's actually the goal. Don't hurt the PCs to be mean. PCs always get hurt; ask any party healer. Find subtle ways to hurt them, let them know that consequences can be a bit more complex than hit point damage. Evil can arise from sin and vice, but also from virtue taken too far, or acting in ignorance. Good has its price, just as evil does. It's simply a more realistic take on D&D than the normal avalanche-of-goblins, I'm-wearing-my-PC-badge-so-everything-I-do-is-okay approach.

Different domains stay different the same way they do on Earth, through geographical separation. In a world without cars (lacking even horses in some cases) a trip of a few hundred miles becomes a perilous weeks-long undertaking. Only those with real reason to travel will do so. Isolation keeps cultures unique. Sure, borders can be closed, but it's not really necessary. A single string of mountains with bad roads suffices.

Plots are only straightforward if the GM makes them that way. For example, I'm using the "kill the rampaging werewolf" plot. Normally this would involve tracking the beast, staying up nights, watching for odd behavior among the townsfolk and visitors, and being patient until the creature reveals itself, at which point it is brought to bay and killed. Simple, right? Except this werewolf also seems to control local wolves, and appear and disappear at will. The town's best tracker is stymied. Careful analysis can reveal that the beast's attacks aren't random or confined to the town as might be expected. Rather they seem to target the logging operation at the old forest. Early attacks took the form of sabotage and terrorizing, only killing later. If the PCs corner the beast, it will turn into a bird and fly away. So now it's a druid or wizard or something attacking people because it wants to rather than because of territorial urges. It's time to put away the silvered weapons and consider other tactics. If PCs show reason, the druid explains there's a buried evil in the forest, magically bound so only the will of man can dig it up. Unfortunately the greed of the logging boss is close enough to what's required, and the evil sleeps only fitfully these days. If he gets too close, the evil will awaken. So what will the PCs try? Get the greedy boss to walk away from money, incidentally robbing the town of its timber supply? Ignore the druid and risk awakening the evil? Go into the forest themselves to try and slay or secure the evil? This is further complicated by the loggers' anger towards the druid, the bounty hunters tromping through the forest trying to slay an evil lycanthrope that doesn't exist, and so forth. It has also attracted the secret interest of the local hag covey, who know the evil is actually a buried zombie dire bear and want to make a pet of it.

I've explained this is a low-level campaign. Fear loses meaning when PCs can march into the lair of the local vampire lord and ash him without breaking a sweat. Even throwaway creatures like zombies are often empowered beyond their normal stats. Care must be taken at all times. My players are fine with that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Therumancer said:
I've never ran D&D but I do feel having everything be part of the Planescape multiverse makes it more interesting. Sure, you're entire campaign could involve exploring Faerun but it doesn't mean at some point you couldn't inadvertently walk through a portal to Mechanus and all of a sudden it's fun times with Modrons.

Anyway for me I've been watching Noir films as of late which have been pretty enjoyable.
I like Planescape myself, and have used it heavily. As a general rule though dealing with those planes can be a lot easier than dealing with Ravenloft since they aren't sealed, and don't intentionally mess with or alter characters. For example if you step through a portal into Mechanus and it takes you a few weeks to find a way out your generally not going to start thinking your not only a Modron, but have always been one. For the most part the only real issue with Planescape tends to be how it can effect spellcasting, especially cleric spells given that adventurers need their healing (this can raise the challenge, but at the same time it can be unexpected how fragile the PCs become). Of course by obtaining the right spell keys and conduits and such that can be dealt with.

While the Demiplane Of Dread fits into the Planescape cosmology it's pretty much it's own thing, and even gods don't mess with it, and it's particular properties can make it a pain for a prolonged campaign, and it's designed with those properties in mind so simply removing them raises a lot of questions that can't be easily answered and causes other problems. It's easily the most hostile of the canon (A)D&D settings, even worse than Dark Sun, because at least in Dark Sun you make characters that are substantially tougher than the regular D&D ones so the numbers tend to even out (bigger monsters fighting bigger characters). It's a harsh environment where everyone needs to have survival skills, and of course in civilized areas you need to keep a low profile due to the neigh omnipotent sorcerer kings, but the world itself isn't deliberately designed to screw you over. For example in Dark Sun you can be a ruthless bastard in a ruthless world and the setting even rewards it to some extent. Act like a hardcase in Ravenloft to deal with the threats, and next thing you know your fingers turn to worms, you develop a craving for rotting flesh (or whatever effects) and eventually wind up trapped there for eternity, act like too much of a good guy and eventually you get to the point where every monster winds up figuring out where you and conveniently shows up to stomp your arse (I believe moral acts wind up increasing random encounter chances and the level of such, with wandering monsters coming out of the mists if they otherwise don't fit the area your in). You can deal with Ravenloft to some extent by playing a true neutral and very carefully keeping a low profile, but it always catches up with you because by definition your on adventures and wind up having to do things and that means going one way or another. You see a peasant girl being run down by a werewolf for example, you can ignore it and go up the evil track a bit, or intervene like a hero and then move up the moral track, either one screws you, and I believe they are separate so one doesn't reduce the other.

As far as Noir goes if your looking for horror hybrids you might try the movie "Dark City" if you haven't already. It's more sci-fi and surrealism than horror I guess, but it still probably counts as a horror movie. I was never fond of Eberron but that was designed to have a sort of pulpy feel to it. Another weird option to try for 2E D&D if you can find it is the "Masque Of The Red Death" setting which is a Victorian horror setting. It's based on Ravenloft but it's own world, opening up the entire world (based on the real world) and the Red Death is a lot less aggressive than the nature of Ravenloft so the PCs aren't quite as doomed as well, and everyone is supposed to be a native of that world so you don't have a rewriting mechanic that the world relies on to make sense (it's been quite a while, Johnny things it was just Darkon but I for some reason remember it being everywhere), nor is it a series of self contained mini-settings all run by a single big bad in his personal prison. The only reason I didn't use it more (I was the only one who GMed that kind of thing when I played) is that I had other games I liked better for Victorian style horror.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Johnny Impact said:
Therumancer said:
snippity snip
Don't worry about careful. That part is in the bag. For a game like this to work, more preparation is required. Between reading sourcebooks, drawing up antagonists a bit more full-bodied than "Vampire Foozle," and so forth, I expect to spend 100+ hours just getting the campaign ready. We're going to stay in one community the whole time, so I intend to have a robust stable of NPCs with conflicting interests, dirty secrets, and quests to hand out.

Actually only Darkon rewrites memories. The biggest problem in other domains is probably Madness saves. And those are only a problem if you see them as such. A dose of nyctophobia can be great for roleplaying. That's actually the goal. Don't hurt the PCs to be mean. PCs always get hurt; ask any party healer. Find subtle ways to hurt them, let them know that consequences can be a bit more complex than hit point damage. Evil can arise from sin and vice, but also from virtue taken too far, or acting in ignorance. Good has its price, just as evil does. It's simply a more realistic take on D&D than the normal avalanche-of-goblins, I'm-wearing-my-PC-badge-so-everything-I-do-is-okay approach.

Different domains stay different the same way they do on Earth, through geographical separation. In a world without cars (lacking even horses in some cases) a trip of a few hundred miles becomes a perilous weeks-long undertaking. Only those with real reason to travel will do so. Isolation keeps cultures unique. Sure, borders can be closed, but it's not really necessary. A single string of mountains with bad roads suffices.

Plots are only straightforward if the GM makes them that way. For example, I'm using the "kill the rampaging werewolf" plot. Normally this would involve tracking the beast, staying up nights, watching for odd behavior among the townsfolk and visitors, and being patient until the creature reveals itself, at which point it is brought to bay and killed. Simple, right? Except this werewolf also seems to control local wolves, and appear and disappear at will. The town's best tracker is stymied. Careful analysis can reveal that the beast's attacks aren't random or confined to the town as might be expected. Rather they seem to target the logging operation at the old forest. Early attacks took the form of sabotage and terrorizing, only killing later. If the PCs corner the beast, it will turn into a bird and fly away. So now it's a druid or wizard or something attacking people because it wants to rather than because of territorial urges. It's time to put away the silvered weapons and consider other tactics. If PCs show reason, the druid explains there's a buried evil in the forest, magically bound so only the will of man can dig it up. Unfortunately the greed of the logging boss is close enough to what's required, and the evil sleeps only fitfully these days. If he gets too close, the evil will awaken. So what will the PCs try? Get the greedy boss to walk away from money, incidentally robbing the town of its timber supply? Ignore the druid and risk awakening the evil? Go into the forest themselves to try and slay or secure the evil? This is further complicated by the loggers' anger towards the druid, the bounty hunters tromping through the forest trying to slay an evil lycanthrope that doesn't exist, and so forth. It has also attracted the secret interest of the local hag covey, who know the evil is actually a buried zombie dire bear and want to make a pet of it.

I've explained this is a low-level campaign. Fear loses meaning when PCs can march into the lair of the local vampire lord and ash him without breaking a sweat. Even throwaway creatures like zombies are often empowered beyond their normal stats. Care must be taken at all times. My players are fine with that.
I remember things a bit differently as I seem to remember some adventures even used the whole memory thing as a sort of timer when you hit Ravenloft, and while it's been a very long time I seem to remember there being this weird thing in Castles Forlorn which is an old boxed adventure that involved needing to time travel through different periods of the same castle to figure out how to take down the lord, that there was this weird mechanic that any character who had red hair would gain a tie to the land in that domain and some access to druidic spells, but would more rapidly become part of the domain, but I could be misremembering how that worked. It might also be some weird thing with editions. For the most part I didn't try and run dedicated Ravenloft games, I mostly just used it for quests as I mentioned since I remember thinking doing it as described probably wouldn't be popular even with players used to quick character turn over in Cthulhu campaigns. :)

That said if you've thought it through, and everyone is happy, no big deal. By no means is what I say accurate or binding to someone else's campaign or what works for them. It's been quite a while since I've done much PnP gaming at all. I have a portion of my dated library, but being out in the sticks I doubt I'll ever be able to put together a group unless I move. :)

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
Civilization V, I guess? I don't really obsess over anything because it's hard for me to enjoy anything long enough for it to hold my interest for an indefinite period of time. But I spent the totality of last weekend reading a Civ V LP featuring mods, and afterwards working to mod Civ V and play it again.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
The novels of Terry Pratchett and P.G. Wodehouse. Also cigars. Why you might ask? Because I tried listening to two Pratchett books on tape and thought they were awful. So I checked the publication dates and found his older books in the library. Loved 'em. While in the fiction section I ran across a Jeeves and Wooster omnibus and proceeded to read more of his works. God bless weird British satirists.

As for the cigars, my father passed away a few months ago and I inherited a book on cigars from him. He didn't smoke but he had met and liked the author. I already smoked cigars and thought it might be fun to read the book. Now I'm waiting for the humidor I ordered to arrive and I'm just thankful I didn't spring for the far more expensive pyramid shaped one. Seriously a big price increase just because the box looks cooler? I just couldn't spring for it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Being a Game Master, I think that counts well enough considering how much mental time I put in it.

I knew I loved playing tabletop RPG's but I was always a bit apprehensive about GMing, though at the same time being extremely curious about it. The idea of being a storyteller and world creator really appealed to me. And whilst my first foray into GMing went with a bit of a stumble, because I insisted on starting with Shadowrun 5E which no one in my social circle knew the rules of, but now that I've really hit my stride with Dark Heresy 2E I just can't get enough of it. Already want to plan my next games, hopefully we can Shadowrun on the road a little better but goddamn my DH2E game started of so damn well, I want to continue it so badly.
PsychicTaco115 said:
Collecting music both in the digital and physical world

Started my vinyl collection late December 2014 and I've been picking stuff up when I can find it

I enjoy it and it's better than snorting cocaine, that's the rationale I've been using c:
Still waiting for that magical moment when I'll have space for a record player and a cabinet for records. But when that day arrives...no flea market shall be safe from me ever again.
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Not failing my exams. That's been a big one.
I really should care more about that.

WhiteWolfe

Mar 15, 2011
Playing Guild Wars 2 again, hockey, and sports video games. I'm becoming like a total bro and I don't know how it happened.

Sapphirewave

Mar 24, 2014
2 weeks ago, I got a huge desire for something nostalgic from the days when I first started exploring the internet and somehow found myself reaching "Arby 'n' The Chief" of all things (a show I wasn't even fond of until the later seasons when most of the original fan base had been long gone) and even decided to start to write a review for the user review section. Coincidentally, I found out that an 8th season was in the works right after I began to rewatch it, and the 22 minute teaser being uploaded this morning has only added fuel to the fire.

I'm trapped inside the hype train, and it isn't stopping.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Elfgore said:
I've been spending a lot of money and spending all of my free time at work on western, Marvel and DC for the most part, comics. I've easily spent like fife-hundred dollars on them the past couple months. I've gotten the big must haves, like Civil War and Age of Ultron and plan on buying Secret Invasion, Secret Wars, and Annihilation when I get the money.

For this week at work I got The War of Kings, Realm of Kings, DC's Legion Lost[footnote]Think another Teen Titans. The new 52 has three teen super-groups[/footnote], and She-Hulk collection. All but She-Hulk look promising. She-Hulk is showing signs of being total shite. At a glimpse I'm seeing lazy artwork, little action, and not a lot of She-Hulk. The back doesn't help either as it says this collection is focusing on her career as a lawyer and not as a badass superhero. Anyways, this batch just has to last me until Wednesday. I've got Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy on the way.
Civil War....a must have? It was pretty awful tbh. Secret Invasion is a great series though.

OT: This band called Have Mercy is my new obsession, these guys are seriously so fucking good.