What's your purpose?

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Recently I was talking to this friend of mine and we came about the subject of purposes in life, how many people have them and how important they are.She explained to me that she doesn't really have one and even though she would like to, she's not sure how to get one.

So that made me wonder what goals do other people have in life, and so here I am asking you guys and gals what's your purpose?what is the drive behind your life?Or if you don't have one why do you think that is?

As for me my I really want to be an experimental psychologist or a game designer, either one would work really.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Experimental psychologist sounds pretty cool. Not sure I know what one is, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.

As for me, I don't think I have a purpose in life as far as employment goes. Like your friend, I would like to, but I'm just not sure where I'm going. Part of the reason I decided to spend another year in University was to give me more time to think about it, and possibly on a lower level to postpone the decision I will have to make at some point.

Ultimately though, I believe my purpose is to have a family, and to provide for that family. Call me traditional but that's the way I see it - I don't really feel like I have a higher calling or an inspiration to become a doctor or a politician or someone who has a bigger impact on society.

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
This is just a brief answer before I start getting ready for school. (So it's not going to be the most well-thought out) :D

If I had to say what my ultimate purpose in life is, it would be to have as much fun as possible in life. I like to keep it simple I suppose. If I had a side purpose or a "side quest" to my main purpose in life, I would also include my desire to help people as much as I can. It's that part of me that drives me to go into medicine. :p

Personally I think that you create your own purpose in life. It's not really something that you normally "get". I suppose you could use what other people have said should be the purpose of life, but ultimately I feel that you are responsible for choosing/creating your purpose in life. :D

Now I must take my last final!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
My purpose now is to raise my kids and get them ready for their own lives when they "fly the nest".

Then, when the last one buggers off .. er .. I mean skips on her merry way, me and my wife have the purpose of moving abroad and spending the last of our days somewhere warm, peaceful and enjoyable.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
My purpose and my goal in life is be happy.

As such, if I want to do something I go do it. I might plan it, I might not, it might be something fun, it could be something worthy, if there's something my gut, or my heart, or my stomach, or whatever happens to be in control of my mind at that particular point in time says, go do that, then do it I shall.

Luckily my stomach is not in control most of the time, or I should wager I'd be a tad rounder than I am right now.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Not sure, help people I guess.
Also getting kids and passing on my genes...

Rogue Trooper

Oct 25, 2012
Well since am still young my only really major goal is to try and join the British army, it's something I've to do since I was little so that's about it.

Oct 10, 2011
Well, for career, I am going to do something chemistry related. I have always been good at chem.

For a different goal, I want to help people. If I ever get enough money, I am going to donate most of it, only keeping what I need. If I ever see someone in danger, but it would be dangerous for me to help, I don't hesitate. I would risk my life for a stranger anytime. I have always seen everyone as just as important as me.
I probably could have shortned that to "I want to save someone's life".

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Wadders said:
Experimental psychologist sounds pretty cool. Not sure I know what one is, but it sounds interesting nonetheless.
An experimental psychologist is basically a researcher of the human psyche, they apply the scientific method to find out more about how we think,behave and other such things.I don't how cool it is but it's most certainly very interesting:)

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'm driven by the desire to find where I fit best in this world. I don't know what I want to do with my life, but I'm willing to wander until I find a path that I like.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Rogue Trooper said:
Well since am still young my only really major goal is to try and join the British army, it's something I've to do since I was little so that's about it.
I'm planning to join the Royal Marines :D

Although I'd say if I have a larger overarching purpose, it's to leave an impact on the literary world.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I don't really have any long term ambitions, besides 'don't become homeless/wind up with a shitty job.' I'm studying Law and Computer Science at Uni so I have a lot of options career wise really and I have no idea what I specifically want to do still.

For the moment, my 'goals'[footnote]More like instincts that pretty much everyone has to be honest.[/footnote] are pretty simple:

1. Don't die.
2. Be happy.
3. Find a girlfriend.

Really the only drive in my life is to be happy.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
To motorboat Milla Jovovich!

Or possibly to mildly irritate people and make sure I don't alter the gene pool... Oh, and to make people laugh, that's my thing in life. Make people feel better, even at a detriment to my own self confidence, I make other people feel better about themselves.

The Comfy Chair

Nov 5, 2012
I don't have a purpose. Purpose implies i was designed to do something, which isn't the case :p

I have a degree in Physics and am currently a software engineer. It's my current role, but it's not a 'purpose'. Not sure what i'd like to do at the moment, there used to be a time when i knew exactly what i wanted to do, that was before something called reality kicked in ;) Would still like to pursue games journalism, at least as a part time thing, and i am therefore making moves to make that happen.

Toil and probably achieve little in the grand scheme of things, but hope to find someone to make it more interesting. Sounds like as good a plan as any :D

Rogue Trooper

Oct 25, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
Rogue Trooper said:
I'm planning to join the Royal Marines :D

Although I'd say if I have a larger overarching purpose, it's to leave an impact on the literary world.
Sweet man I hope you make the grade. Although I want to join the military police so who knows we might even meet.