What's your take on the English riots?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
My thoughts are summed up here:

This whole situation doesn't make sense to me. It's my understanding that the police screwed something up, someone died, and now everyone is breaking shit just because they can and no one can do anything about it. Why...?

If there's more to it, please do inform me.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
while i despise these types of people that burn and steal for nothing much more than fun, and i cant condone attacking small businesses and peoples property, you cannot ignore the progress thats been made by these mostly mindless riots.

for once, politicians are actually paying attention. so far, there have been peaceful protests against almost everything major this government has proposed, and theyve gone ahead and done most of it anyway. it takes this kind of action to make them see that removing EMA, increasing tuition fees, cutting police funding, etc. whilst at the same time, giving everything to banks in a vague attempt to cut the deficit and pull ourselves out of recession, which clearly isnt working... errr... causes this stuff to happen... its almost beneficial that the rioters themselves have no purpose, because it gives Cameron the opportunity to feel hes the first person to realise that society is "broken" and that hes making it worse... again.

this is my take on it anyway...
...whether all of the above is wrong or not doesnt really matter, because you cannot deny that people are finally paying attention to these people, and what underlying causes for this there may be... everybody is talking about it.
from these events, change will hopefully happen... and thats exactly what we need.

i do wish theyd change their target to very large businesses, banks and/or politicians themselves...

TStormer

Aug 24, 2010
The riots are a result of the working class youth getting completely screwed over in a number of ways over the last few years, and everyone likes to pretend that they are just looting for the sake of looting cos that way they can wash their hands of it.

It's either going to get properly sorted out with the causes addressed, or they are just gonna arrest them and pretend it never happened, leaving the problems unsolved and the riots will continue.

CBA writing out the full rant cos I'm having this argument on about 4 different forums at once.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Well, there might be some people thinking they are legitimately protesting against something or other, but that does not give a horde of vermin the excuse to steal and/or burn down things at random.

Ok, so, you say you're angry with the government, or the government's policy on ____. So you steal from a supermarket and set a police car on fire. What the fuck sort of insane troll logic is that?
Exactly. The whole 'we're fighting against the government' is bullshit. How does burning down a bunch of buildings and stealing stuff get the government to do the right thing? They are doing it because they are sadistic and selfish. Has anyone else seen the video of the gang that pretended to help a dazed student but then stole all his stuff? Because that video made me want to fly over to London, find those pricks and beat the crap out of them.

MickyD47

May 19, 2011
Brain dead morons smash and steal things. Because they are brain dead morons they are poor. Plenty of people are poor and not brain dead morons.

Also fuck the media that makes out as if some kid is sat in his bedroom with a map of London planning out attacks and commanding groups of people on a blackberry like some sort of military operation.

GamerAddict7796

Jun 2, 2010
At first it showed that people wouldn't put up with Cameron's shit but then after the 2nd day it just turned into people looting/robbing/burning for kicks.