What's your take on the English riots?

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
Jaack11 said:
There isn't an 'actual' reason though. No one cares about the guy who was killed by police, they are just using it as an excuse to be the vermin they really are by trashing, looting and setting fire to businesses and peoples homes! The reasons I've heard from rioters are ridiculous! "It's all about showing police that we can do what we want" or "How often do we get an opportunity to get free stuff?"
Just because the people involved are not learned enough to understand the reasons for their own behaviour, doesn't mean there aren't actual reasons. Of course there are, that's the way the universe works, cause and effect. Things don't just happen completely spontaneously.

It's like saying there's no actual reason for lions to kill gazelles, because the only reason they are able to give when interviewed is "rarr".

I don't claim to understand the reasons, for they are many and complex, but I know they exist and I know they need to be addressed. We know they are not rational people but I don't believe they are evil. Disturbed is probably the best word to describe them.

We have seen over and over again in other parts of the world what happens when you bring lethal force to a riot. Anyone advocating that must have a screw loose.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
oktalist said:
It's like saying there's no actual reason for lions to kill gazelles, because the only reason they are able to give when interviewed is "rarr".
Nice turn of phrase.

However, while I can sympathise with people angry at the government, attacking random stores and looting is wrong, by any standard. You can sorta defend attacks against the police, as they are an extension of the governmental system, but ordinary shopkeepers are not. There's no excuse for that, that is simply criminal.

falcon1985

Aug 29, 2009
Unleash the SAS and let em go wild for a couple of days. - A shitload fucktards + fun/training for the troops = win-win.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
yup I live in the U.K and apparently all the main cities surrounding me and the nearest town (about 8 miles away) are rioting which was news to me although in hindsight it was odd seeing gangs of 30 odd people mainly in hoodies and caps about not to mention smashed windows and closed shops (I tend to generally ignore and accept my surroundings unless given reason to do otherwise).

This sort of behavior always strikes me as pathetic and shows just what a weak bunch (in character,spirit and soul) a lot of the human race are most of them dont even choose to think for themselves they just mindlessly follow along they lay blame on other things to try and justify their actions they steal and loot because its easy also they stick around in gangs because it easy power (same goes for carrying weapons) in short I see them as too weak to even overcome that most basic of trials that of adversity they are scared of everything death and life so they want (quick easy) power to try and overcome this but of course when they arent strong enough to overcome adversity they certainly arent strong enough to overcome power and are twisted and corrupted by it hence all the crime and spiraling pointlessness of their existence as soon as you show them a stronger force they will run and hide till the coasts clear because they have nothing to unify them other than the collective want to grab as much for themselves while safely hiding behind others.

In short they have my contempt while I applaud the police for sticking to their guns its just a shame they have so much red tape entangling them that they cant do their job effectively maybe they would like some more money instead of more rules.
Will be interesting to see how they punish those involved cant lock many up thats for sure so kill them? cant see that happening, community service hahahahah *sorry* I dont know maybe a full frontal lobotomy? Its not what I would call a crisis yet but things have a way of working themselves out one way or another its just how many are going to get hurt,killed,suffer in the process.

I apologise for the rough nature of this script it is imperfect as a true representation of my thoughts of these people and situation.

Jan 3, 2009
The statement that the shooting of that alleged gang member (can't remember his name) is the cause of this is complete bull. Maybe originaly there was some outcry about it, but something this destructive and large scale can only have it's roots in something deeper, which as many other people have said is most likely the disillusionment the British youth are feeling. The family of the deceased man themselves have decried the rioters. However, while there is clearly a problem, I also beleive a hard line needs to be taken with the rioters; there is no reason for this level of violence and destruction. Most of these people seem to be morons in it only for fun and profit (i.e. to be destructive dickholes), at the cost of your average Joe and the businesses in the area. Quite a large cost; I feel for the shop owners affected by this.

I was enraged when I read about one woman saying she was looting to get her taxes back (Footage has emerged of Sky News reporter Mark Stone asking a woman why she was stealing from a shop in Clapham Junction. She replied: "I'm getting my taxes back" - source: www.news.com.au). If you feel that passionate, how about you do it by ripping up the road in front of your house and stacking it in your front yard, instead of STEALING FROM BUSINESSES THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR TAX!!! Oh sorry, of couse ripping up your road would cause inconvenience for you.

Anyway, I approve of the tougher measures authorised for the police, this thing needs to be shut down, and I think the threat of actual pain is the only thing that will do it. That said, the underlying issues need to be addressed as well, which will be much harder.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
For me it's a massive grey area.
I don't like how the riots spread, (it seems to just be copycat behaviour and many are rioting and looting for the simple reason that "everyone else is doing it"
But then I feel that some people have the right to be angry, there's a great deal of poverty or near-poverty in London (and probably other major cities in the UK) and for a lot of people the only way to make money is through selling drugs or selling stolen items, and the riots are a way for them to vent their anger at the Government/society as a whole for their situation.

Also, the people who are posting pictures of the stuff they've taken are just fucking idiots, and the adults/parents who are just joining in on the looting because of the opportunity should be ashamed of themselves.

In my general viewpoint on the whole thing is best described by a Facebook page:
"Smashing up my own city because I'm a massive ****."

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Whilst I'm not condoning it, the actions and behaviour of the looters are diabolical, but it was to be expected- Cameron's policies pushed these people past breaking point and surprise surprise now theres the aftermath.

Also kinda funny, last time the Tories were in power the exact same thing happened.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
thaluikhain said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Yes the riots are bad, and things are out of control, but we need a strong police presence, preferably backed up by the army, and the majority arrested and convicted.
Using the army for police matters is something you really, really don't want to do. The two are seperate in most western nations for a reason.

On the other hand, using the police for police matters sounds reasonable. I can understand, sorta, the worry that things will get more inflamed, but things look pretty bad as they are.
I wasn't suggesting sending in squads of fully armed soldiers to eliminate all rioters, merely using their manpower to backup the police, give em a baton and riot shield and stop those causing the most trouble and get em arrested. No reason at all a soldier cannot perform a 'citizen's arrest' after all, I'm sure.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SenseOfTumour said:
thaluikhain said:
SenseOfTumour said:
Yes the riots are bad, and things are out of control, but we need a strong police presence, preferably backed up by the army, and the majority arrested and convicted.
Using the army for police matters is something you really, really don't want to do. The two are seperate in most western nations for a reason.

On the other hand, using the police for police matters sounds reasonable. I can understand, sorta, the worry that things will get more inflamed, but things look pretty bad as they are.
I wasn't suggesting sending in squads of fully armed soldiers to eliminate all rioters, merely using their manpower to backup the police, give em a baton and riot shield and stop those causing the most trouble and get em arrested. No reason at all a soldier cannot perform a 'citizen's arrest' after all, I'm sure.
In theory, yes...but in practice, that is quite a nasty can of worms you are opening there. Having various soldiers on their days off just happening to be part of an angry mob of non-rioters, perhaps, but soldiers as soldiers acting as police...all sorts of troubles. I think that's expressly forbidden by the UK constitution (and similar prohibitions exist in those of most western democracies worth the name).

jimbo12345

Aug 10, 2011
the reason for the riots is because in this country there are far too many scum who just live off government handouts and as they have no job, spend all day doing or dealing drugs and all night causing trouble in the city centre.
the reason these people are allowed to behave like this is because the police cannot do anything about it, just by watching one episode of the many police documentaries such as traffic cops, police camera action etc, you can see what i mean. the offender has more rights than the victim thanks to all the human rights groups who pass their stupid laws without having any idea of the world around them.

i especially like the end of these programmes because it tells you how all these drug dealing, fight starting, abusive scum get only 'cautioned by police'

my favourite episode was when a British soldier who served in afghanistan was punched in the face by some idiot in town. at the police station the soldier was told he had to wait an hour to make a statement! when he started complaining (quite rightly) about this he was arrested.
at the end of the show it said that the man who attacked him was released with out charge but the solider was fine something stupid like £300 for drunk and dissorderly

the only possible way this country has any chance of being the great country it once was is by bringing back hanging. that would soon stop these morons from attacking people randomly just for the fun of it.
personally i would prefer to see gladiatoral combat brought in where criminals are forced to fight each other, or even proffesional fighters to the death.
the romans, without all the amazing technology we now have, conquered half of the world! maybe we should take their successful idea of gladiatoral combat and implement it in our riotuous society.
i for one would deffinately pay to see these fights!
and for the human rights morons who would say this would negatively affect growing children...
1)surely YOU are to blame if you are letting you kids watch this sort of thing?
2)how would showing children justice being served be worse than letting them see people get kicked to death just for their wallet?

jimbo12345

Aug 10, 2011
the reason for the riots is because in this country there are far too many scum who just live off government handouts and as they have no job, spend all day doing or dealing drugs and all night causing trouble in the city centre.
the reason these people are allowed to behave like this is because the police cannot do anything about it, just by watching one episode of the many police documentaries such as traffic cops, police camera action etc, you can see what i mean. the offender has more rights than the victim thanks to all the human rights groups who pass their stupid laws without having any idea of the world around them.

i especially like the end of these programmes because it tells you how all these drug dealing, fight starting, abusive scum get only 'cautioned by police'

my favourite episode was when a British soldier who served in afghanistan was punched in the face by some idiot in town. at the police station the soldier was told he had to wait an hour to make a statement! when he started complaining (quite rightly) about this he was arrested.
at the end of the show it said that the man who attacked him was released with out charge but the solider was fine something stupid like £300 for drunk and dissorderly

the only possible way this country has any chance of being the great country it once was is by bringing back hanging. that would soon stop these morons from attacking people randomly just for the fun of it.
personally i would prefer to see gladiatoral combat brought in where criminals are forced to fight each other, or even proffesional fighters to the death.
the romans, without all the amazing technology we now have, conquered half of the world! maybe we should take their successful idea of gladiatoral combat and implement it in our riotuous society.
i for one would deffinately pay to see these fights!
and for the human rights morons who would say this would negatively affect growing children...
1)surely YOU are to blame if you are letting you kids watch this sort of thing?
2)how would showing children justice being served be worse than letting them see people get kicked to death just for their wallet?

rt052192

Feb 24, 2010
live in america. dont care. find it comical that England cant contain the riots though

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
thaluikhain said:
oktalist said:
Nice turn of phrase.

However, while I can sympathise with people angry at the government, attacking random stores and looting is wrong, by any standard. You can sorta defend attacks against the police, as they are an extension of the governmental system, but ordinary shopkeepers are not. There's no excuse for that, that is simply criminal.
I'm not excusing it, just trying to understand it.

Calling it criminal doesn't tell us anything new. Obviously it's criminal.

jdun

Aug 5, 2008
thaluikhain said:
SenseOfTumour said:
thaluikhain said:
SenseOfTumour said:

In theory, yes...but in practice, that is quite a nasty can of worms you are opening there. Having various soldiers on their days off just happening to be part of an angry mob of non-rioters, perhaps, but soldiers as soldiers acting as police...all sorts of troubles. I think that's expressly forbidden by the UK constitution (and similar prohibitions exist in those of most western democracies worth the name).
Let me first said that the UK citizens deserved the government the got through the years, limiting their rights to defend themselves.

If this was happening in my city these rioters will be killed by law abiding citizens. We don't take these kind of crap in our neighbors.

The UK police are pathetic. They have no ability to deal with criminals. That's why they have the highest crime rate in the world. If I were running things over there right now I would send in the military and beat the living crap out of the rioters. Than put them in prison for 5 years minimum.