When a friend tells you he "does not agree" with the concept of evolution

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
What I would generally do in the OP's situation is say "Okay, cool," and not press the issue. Evolution is just one more way of thinking about the origins of our species with slightly more modern proofs then the last one, nobody can confirm it like we can gravity or whatnot (we can drop an apple from a window, but we can't shove a T-Rex in a cage and watch it transform into a chicken). It makes more sense than the last one, and it makes less sense than the yet-unknown next one.

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
Hugga_Bear said:
This gives a brief understanding of how things change over time and how animals can make things...oh dear lord please learn about evolution before you try and argue against it.
i know all i need to about the fairy tale that is evolution

long ago and far away nothing exploded and made everything.
then it rained on the newly born rocky earth. the rocks turned to soup and the the soup came alive and turned into a prince (humans/everything we see today) 4.whatever-billion years ago (i have no idea how this cannot sound stupid to people)
nobody witnessed any of the events that took place but its obvious to us now becase we cannot prove it happend

Arthur Keith once said ...
"Evolution is unproven and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."

(take that as you will)

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
What on earth are they teaching you all in school?
I mean it, really. Why is everyone so utterly and horribly wrong about the Theory of Evolution? Are you all being misinformed by the education sector or something??

A lot of people here have an extremely solid grasp of the subject but so many people are wrong about what it is and what a scientific theory itself is. It's just shocking, I expect a few people of course but from something like the Escapist which I'd wager has a relatively intelligent base of individuals the ignorance on this subject (and the way people talk as if they have spent their lives on the subject) is astounding, truly.

I mean, we learnt about evolution in school, American high school, classes. It was part of the curriculum (unsurprisingly given it's core within Biology, notably medicine).
Yet it appears this isn't universal. At all.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Undead Dragon King said:
This is a long one, but I promise it's worth reading and I would honestly like to hear a reply (send a PM if you don't want to continue on in this already lengthy thread). (Edit: I don't intend any offence when I say that you don't understand these things. The main problem in this thread is that a lot of people arguing against you don't seem to understand them well either.)

You misunderstand empiricism. Empiricism is simply a belief in induction based on evidence. All it states is that knowledge can be derived by observation. For instance, you have observed the sun rising each day and you probably claim to have the knowledge that the sun will rise tomorrow. Or you have observed that the sun generates heat and you probably claim to know that other stars generate heat too. You can claim that you don't "know" these things, but then we're just arguing about what "know" means. It gets silly pretty quickly since you behave exactly as though you know these things, planning each day with the assumption that there will be light from the sun at certain times.

What you're talking about is an extremely strong form of empiricism suggesting that we can only falsify hypotheses, never prove them. This quickly becomes an argument over the definition of "proof". It's just another instantiation of the problem of induction. But this sort of Popperian empiricism becomes very awkward when we deal with the fact that rational agents do act with gradients of belief that go beyond "falsified" and "not falsified".

If you want to criticize this kind of faith, you're not just criticizing science, you're criticizing all rational belief. The problem of induction applies just as readily to your belief "when I drop this rock, it will fall", as it does to evolution.

As for the missing link, as others have articulated, the concept is both outdated and inherently flawed. First, we have enough intermediaries between humans and the ancestor species we share with the apes to satisfy just about anyone. It was true at one time that we didn't have such intermediaries, which is when that argument arose. But now we do. Then there's the bigger issue of the complete lack of thought about what "missing link" actually means. Evolution proceeds one generation at a time. If you require every link, then you require that scientists produce every single organism from the earlier species to the most recent common ancestor of the present species. You're suggesting that the only acceptable evidence would be remains from the original species and then one of its offspring, and then one of the offspring's offspring, and then one of that offspring's offspring, et cetera until you reach the human most recent common ancestor. The notion is completely absurd.

The "I've never seen an ape change into a human" also shows that you profoundly misunderstand evolution. Apes did not evolve into humans. Apes and humans shared a particular common ancestor species. And again, we don't just have a few skeletal fragments demonstrating intermediaries anymore, we've unearthed tons of intermediaries since the missing link argument was first put forward.

Also, evolution isn't some line that converges at a perfect organism. All organisms aren't evolving in the "same direction". In fact, evolution doesn't give us any reason to expect that they're evolving in a "direction" at all. Evolution of unique traits is partially dependent upon random mutation. It would be remarkably hard to deny the existence of random mutation given the evidence we see of it every day (in virtually all organisms), but even if you somehow deny that, you still get evolution with simple trait combination from sexual reproduction: as a gross oversimplification, imagine that one segment of a species population has wing-like apendages for heat dissipation and another has extremely thin webbing between the same bones, if those segments breed the offspring might possess the capability for flight even though neither parent could fly and flight capability wasn't the result of random mutation.

All that needs to be true of a trait for it to pass on is that it improves the ability of the organism bearing the trait to reproduce at the time it enters the population. It need not even continue to be useful in the future, in fact it might even become harmful in the future due to combination with a trait evolved later. Since the largescale changes we're talking about are the result of either random or emergent complexity, there is no reason to believe that whales would ever evolve to develop language, birds computers, or cats rhetorical skills. If those properties somehow emerged due to combination or mutation, then it's fairly likely that they would enhance the ability of the organisms possessing them to pass on their traits, but why would you expect the traits to emerge in the population in the first place?

The fact that humans have evolved the ability to conceive of computers, language, and rhetorical skills is essentially accidental. These traits entered the population approximately at random and happened to confer an advantage to humans, making those humans possessing the traits more successful, and leading to the proliferation of offspring possessing those traits.

See my above post for a better explanation of basic evolution. It really isn't as "special" a concept as a lot of people seem to think. It's just the logical outcome of inheritance and selectional pressure. Since we know that both of those things exist (people inherit traits from parents and some traits improve the odds that the organisms possessing those traits will pass them on), the real question is how you can argue that they wouldn't lead to evolution.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
Dash-X said:
The change science brings merely provides more efficiency for the same old same to continue. When science puts a stop to injustice; when science puts a stop to racism; when science puts a stop to hatred, then I will acknowledge science's achievements as great. Until that day, I will maintain my stance.
In that case, please don't use your PC to use the internet so you can have this useless debate, go drink water from a river and go hunt animals for food. Also, die from the first flu you get.
Go live in a cave if whatever science did doesn't matter to you, else you're talking crap.

Because science doesn't control the minds of people doesn't make it as worthless as you imply. And if saving billions of lives isn't anything major, you suck as a person.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
tipp6353 said:
I am a Christian and I'm not saying evolution is false, but there's a problem with it. If we really did evolve from monkeys wouldn't the old form die out or change?
we never evolved from monkeys we evolved from primtive homids and yes the old form died outout and/or changed,

Ardipithecus with species Ar. kadabba and Ar. ramidus;
Australopithecus (with species Au. anamensis, Au. afarensis, Au. africanus, Au. bahrelghazali, Au. garhi, and Au. sediba;
Kenyanthropus ,with species Kenyanthropus platyops;
Paranthropus), with species P. aethiopicus, P. boisei, and P. robustus;
Homo with species Homo habilis, Homo rudolfensis, Homo ergaster, Homo georgicus, Homo antecessor, Homo cepranensis, Homo erectus, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo rhodesiensis, Homo neanderthalensis, Homo sapiens idaltu, Archaic Homo sapiens, Homo floresiensis

are some of the subspecies of primitive man, and as for what it changed into you need only look in at yourself

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
maswell said:
This shouldn't be an opportunity to ridicule one or the other but an opportunity to discuss why they hold this view or that. But when it comes down to it neither side should say that they have the definitive, uncompromising, SCIENTIFIC answer that is so completely irrefutable there is no reason to continue the discussion. No one was there at the origin of the wolf/fox or at least no one wrote anything down about it. And we can't exactly set up an empirical, repeatable, scientific experiment to see which one happened.
Science is not about denying the discussion. It's about advancing the discussion using the scientific method.

Characterization, hypothesis, prediction, experiment, characterization, hypothesis, prediction, experiment. It is not a straight line, it is an endless loop. That is science right there.

Evolution, in fact, has gone through that loop... it's formed observations, created a concept on how it could be, predicted what the results of an experiment would be if it were true, experimented to discover the truth, formed observations based on those experimentations, refined the hypothesis, predicted again, experimented...

It's done it so many times that it is hard for science to come up with new observations that do not fit the model. It's been ground down as much as it can, and it has stood the test of time. Science has TRIED very hard to debunk evolution, but it has been unable. That is why it gets to be called 'The Theory of Evolution' rather than 'A Hypothesis of Evolution.'

Intellegent design, on the other hand, has taken characterization, and has advanced a hypothesis... and nothing more. There are no predictions. There are no experiments. There are no continued examinations based on that. Intelligent design has not been put through the scientific method a single time. Thus, science does not acknowledge it, because it has no science in it.

Now, if there was some observation that did not fit the Theory of Evolution, AND a hypothesis was formed on that and other observations, AND a prediction could be made from it, AND experiments performed to test those predictions, AND the results of those experiments supported the hypothesis, AND further hypothesis was built on that, AND further prediction, AND further testing...

...then you can start to discuss that hypothesis in a scientific discussion as something to be considered.

So, you want a scientist to listen to talk of Intelligent Design? Show. The. Work.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
On Topic
I would ask your friend how he thinks we got here then? What is his view on it?

Off Topic slightly
Dunno if it's been mentioned but no one believes in evolution, you ether agree with it or reject it based on the evidence. The is no belief necessary.

Oh and

A common mistake when people mention evolution and the fossil records is the absence of so called 'transitional' forms of animals. What they don't understand is that there really is no such thing as a missing link. It's like the creationists bring up the 'what use is half an eye' argument. Well it's not like that...there never was half an eye, it's a question based upon misunderstanding.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
AlexNora said:
Except that many of the things you describe have tests that can be run to see if they are possible.

Are you aware that scientists took igneous rock (rock can never have contained life), electricity, water, heat, and simple gases, and through the process of boiling and burning and such, were able to create amino acid clusters very similiar to the cell membranes of primitive life forms? Had they created a nucleus, they'd have not only shown that it is -possible- life was created in that matter, they'd have invented a system that, through rigorous testing, could be used to show that over any period of time greater than however long the experiment took, life would be inevitable under those conditions.

Which would prove that any planet that can have those primordial conditions probably would have or had life.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
AlexNora said:
Hugga_Bear said:
This gives a brief understanding of how things change over time and how animals can make things...oh dear lord please learn about evolution before you try and argue against it.

long ago and far away nothing exploded and made everything.
then it rained on the newly born rocky earth. the rocks turned to soup and the the soup came alive and turned into a prince (humans/everything we see today) 4.whatever-billion years ago (i have no idea how this cannot sound stupid to people)
nobody witnessed any of the events that took place but its obvious to us now becase we cannot prove it happend

"Evolution is unproven and unprovable. We believe it only because the only alternative is special creation, and that is unthinkable."

(take that as you will)
Can I take it as a joke?

The stuff you're talking about, most of it has nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution but I'll cover it because I'm just like that and feel information is never wasted.

"long ago and far away nothing exploded and made everything."
This is a reference to the Big Bang Theory, which is set distinctly apart from Evolution (since the two have bugger all in common). The Big Bang Theory has a misleading name, nothing exploded in the conventional sense, there was a rapid expansion of matter which would have been akin to an explosion but wasn't.
It wasn't nothing, either, it was lots of matter compressed into a small space which (unsurprisingly) rapidly expanded. What's more the theory does not explain the universe's origins, it deals solely with the ensuing sequence of events. If you want to know what happened to make matter? Good luck. There are numerous hypotheses around the most plausible of which is a cyclic universe but right now the honest answer is we don't know.*

"then it rained on the newly born rocky earth. the rocks turned to soup"
You're missing a lot of stuff. We're made of stardust, a star once existed where we are (well, you know what I mean). It died and our planet, along with the rest and our Sun formed from it's debris.
That's unimportant, again it has nothing to do with the Theory of Evolution. The rocks did not turn to soup, the 'soup' is a collection of commonly formed materials (which form through predictable and consistent chemical reactions). Some of these were amino acids and these are the important ones for us because they would ultimately form the replicators, proteins (which are strings of amino acids) that could essentially procreate or more accurately, replicate.

"the the soup came alive and turned into a prince (humans/everything we see today)"
The soup did not come alive, the replicators formed within it (this, however is not ToE either but abiogenesis, again distinct from Evolution)
Forming us, that is Evolution. It took billions of years but you know what's cool? We change stuff now. I've linked you to Lenski's experiment but the best examples are things like bananas, the banana in the supermarket is not the same as an actual banana, it's the result of our intervention over the last 6-7 thousand years. Similarly look at wolves becoming domesticated, the changes we've made to cabbage and innumerate other things.
We change this world through Evolution, forcing things down specific paths to change them over time. If we can turn a hard skinned, hard seeded, round object into a sleek banana in 6 thousand years, imagine what could happen in 5 billion.

Arthur Keith is an idiot, then. Evolution is provable, proven and we don't believe it. We think it's true because the evidence is conclusive in it's favour. The alternatives are numerous and not likely with no supporting evidence so if Evolution is bunk you know what we say?
We don't know. Science is good at that, see below.

*We don't know does not mean goddidit. It means we don't know. The evidence is lacking, the conclusions aren't there, we have clues perhaps and good guesses but no conclusive evidence. No there's no evidence for God either, sorry but there isn't. Believe it if you will but it is not supported by current evidence.

NellNell

Feb 11, 2011
Not everyone has the same opinion? I mean I don't believe that this happened. I'm also a Christian so take that for what it is. But understand that when I saw I don't believe in evolution that does not mean I don't think that animals don't adapt. I just know we didn't come from monkeys. Gonna get some heat from this.

*puts up flame shield*

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
Hugga_Bear said:
I mean it, really. Why is everyone so utterly and horribly wrong about the Theory of Evolution? Are you all being misinformed by the education sector or something??

A lot of people here have an extremely solid grasp of the subject but so many people are wrong about what it is and what a scientific theory itself is. It's just shocking, I expect a few people of course but from something like the Escapist which I'd wager has a relatively intelligent base of individuals the ignorance on this subject (and the way people talk as if they have spent their lives on the subject) is astounding, truly.

I mean, we learnt about evolution in school, American high school, classes. It was part of the curriculum (unsurprisingly given it's core within Biology, notably medicine).
actually most people in american don't believe in evolution as far as studies go and to my own knowledge of people (i'm not surprised the evolution religion is filled with so many lies)

I am Jack's profile

Aug 13, 2009
There is no room for belief. If someone chooses not to accept the truth that evolution is a well documented fact then all you can do is just *sigh*

i hate when people say "thats you're beleif". It has nothing, nothing, NOTHING to do with belief

If i jump out of 60 story building because i don't believe in gravity I'm still going to Die

AlexNora

Mar 7, 2011
DracoSuave said:
AlexNora said:
Except that many of the things you describe have tests that can be run to see if they are possible.

Are you aware that scientists took igneous rock (rock can never have contained life), electricity, water, heat, and simple gases, and through the process of boiling and burning and such, were able to create amino acid clusters very similiar to the cell membranes of primitive life forms? Had they created a nucleus, they'd have not only shown that it is -possible- life was created in that matter, they'd have invented a system that, through rigorous testing, could be used to show that over any period of time greater than however long the experiment took, life would be inevitable under those conditions.

Which would prove that any planet that can have those primordial conditions probably would have or had life.
could you give me the name of this study or people that did the experiment? so i can research it and then ill get back to you (ill send you a pm and post here)

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
NellNell said:
Not everyone has the same opinion? I mean I don't believe that this happened. I'm also a Christian so take that for what it is. But understand that when I saw I don't believe in evolution that does not mean I don't think that animals don't adapt. I just know we didn't come from monkeys. Gonna get some heat from this.

*puts up flame shield*
Not at all. Please post your body of work in proving that humans did not come from other primates. Include observations, the hypothesis that came from that, as well as your predictions and your experiments that you ran in order to come to this knowledge.

If you can do that, you can advance the scientific debate. If you cannot, and your 'knowledge' is actually based on 'I don't like the idea of it' then you're not actually debating it.

Just because you hold an opinion does not mean it cannot be debated, discussed, or determined to be invalid, valid, or cogent, or rational or irrational. You have the right to hold an irrational opinion. This does not protect you from being informed as to its irrationality.

AlexNora said:
could you give me the name of this study or people that did the experiment? so i can research it and then ill get back to you (ill send you a pm and post here)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%E2%80%93Urey_experiment]

Here's the start of it, tho I learned about it over a decade ago watching sciencey tv like a good little nerd.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Punch in face. Quit friendship. Move on.

I could never be friends with someone like that. Or rather, I WOULD never be.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
AlexNora said:
Hugga_Bear said:

actually most people in american don't believe in evolution as far as studies go and to my own knowledge of people (i'm not surprised the evolution religion is filled with so many lies)
That wasn't directed at you, just a coincidence.
If I recall correctly it's just over 50% are creationists in the States? So yeah, it just surprises the hell out of me. I can understand not knowing (one of my friend's is an atheist and has made it clear she neither knows nor cares. That's fine) but that's a huge amount of people.
Evolution isn't a religion, it's a scientific theory. Difficult mistake to make but it happens :)

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
NellNell said:

*puts up flame shield*
Everyone who knows 2 things about evolution knows we didnt come from monkeys. Just go back and bask in your ignorance, people are trying to talk with more then just flamebait jabs are running away like a child.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Hugga_Bear said:
AlexNora said:
Hugga_Bear said:

That wasn't directed at you, just a coincidence.
If I recall correctly it's just over 50% are creationists in the States? So yeah, it just surprises the hell out of me. I can understand not knowing (one of my friend's is an atheist and has made it clear she neither knows nor cares. That's fine) but that's a huge amount of people.
Evolution isn't a religion, it's a scientific theory. Difficult mistake to make but it happens :)
I love, "love" the its a religion too argument. It secretly acknowledges the idiocy of the stance by projecting its own shortcomings on the other side.