When criticism kept you from buying a game you REALLY wanted

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Force Unleashed 2. I loved the first game. It was stupid and cheesy but I had so much fun with the over the top powers...okay, 90% of the time i just used force push but whatever, I had a blast (no pun intended). I was so excited for the sequel but I heard from everyone that it was awful. Then again, lately hype and positive reviews have been killing games for me. The Last of Us, KOTOR, New Vegas, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite were huge letdowns to me. Not because they were bad games but because they were so heavily oversold. On the other hand, Hydrophobia was universally deemed a pile of crap with some nice water physics but I actually had a fair amount of fun with that game. Based on that, maybe I should jump on board Force Unleashed 2. Since it got such bad reviews, it could really only exceed my expectations

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I don't think I've ever been talked out of a game I REALLY wanted. I've been talked out of games I was interested in, but....

synobal said:
Magic 2014, I'd really like to play it but I've heard it's a very aggressive money grab despite having good gameplay and such. I want to play but I'd feel guilty for rewarding the devs for their hyper aggressive money grabbing techniques.
Really? What's supposed to be worse about it than the other games? I have it and it's pretty standard: deck unlocks, foil conversions, one big advert for the paper game. And honestly, that's all shit, but if it didn't stop you with the other games, it shouldn't here.

Also, I like the game less than other years, so there are certainly criticisms (decks seem bland, campaign is even meh-er, etc), but it has little to do with their constant monetisation.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
OP dodged a bullet when it came to Fable III...Anyway, Mind Jack. All I saw from the adds were cybernetic apes and the ability to probably control them ie: play as them. There isn't enough of that in games and I wanted to get in on that but reviews and hear-say have spoken and apparently it's the Too Human of 3rd-person shooters.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Caiphus said:
I dunno about a game I 'Really wanted', as such. I was interested in the Game of Thrones RPG, which then bombed on metacritic. And the same can be said for LotR: War in the North. Unfortunately, neither look all that fun.

Shame really.

Oh, yes, and probably the Fable games too, like the OP. But since I didn't have an Xbox, I couldn't play the first couple, I think? So, I wasn't exactly on board the Molyneux hype train to begin with.
Wait, War in the North got bombed? I didn't know that. I liked the game, it was a lot of fun.

If I really want a game I will usually just buy it, criticism be damned. Alpha Protocol got bombed and it was a brilliant game.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
At first, I was sure that my answer would be, "Pshaw, nope. I get what I want."
Then I remembered a distinct lack of AC3 in my life.

So yeah, I listened to everyone else when they said it wasn't worth buying straight out the gate and have been waiting for the price to drop to below 20, that way if I didn't like it, I can usually get my money's worth from a game to be satisfied.

Still above 20 as of now sooo...still waiting.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
delta4062 said:
Bug MuIdoon said:
delta4062 said:
I honestly can't tell if this post is serious. Stop being a goddamn sheep and decide if you like something after actually playing it yourself.
Or, I could spend that money on a game that I'm looking forward to playing much more and has more favorable reviews? Or even spend it on something other than a game.

Maybe you should read the title of the thread again.
If it were full priced you'd maybe have a point. But for 5 bucks those are some bullshit excuses. 5 bucks isn't going to break the bank here. If you're that picky about what you spend such a tiny amount of money on, perhaps you shouldn't bother with gaming.

You're right. I should definitely spend all my money on every game ever. Never read any reviews and just buy every one in existence. Fuck if I think they're any good or not, I'll just buy them all!

I should completely stop with my gaming hobby of 20+ years just because I didn't want to buy one game that had sub-par looking game play and a lot of terrible reviews. And one that I bought up purely for the sake of a thread asking about those specific situations.

5 pounds isn't going to break the bank, no, but I made the decision that I'd rather spend my money on something else. If that upsets you so much why don't you go buy me the game? 5 bucks isn't going to break the bank.

If you're that picky about what other people choose to not spend their money on maybe you shouldn't bother looking at threads asking about it.

Depulcator

Mar 5, 2012
When I head about all the game breaking bugs I held off on fallout new vegas. But, then again, I was gonna wait til the GOTY edition anyways.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
mirage202 said:
One soon to be released: X Rebirth.

I have been excited about this one since I first heard about it in 2011. Then one thing happened that has changed my decision from day one purchase to minimum 75% off sale. Single pilotable ship.
You?ve got to be kidding me?. albion prelude and terran conflict allowed you to get into every ship in the known universe .
I noticed the trailers only showing the interior of one ship but kinda assumed other ships will be pilotable (if maybe without a cockpit view) .
Maybe remote control like the drones ?..

(after reading up on it) ?
yeah you are right ?. Sounds horrible .

I can?t fathom why they made such a decision . is showing the inside of the ship and being able to land THAT important? Surely you?ll spend most of the time flying around in space where that really doesn?t matter

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Yahtzees' review of Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs turned me off to it. I may pick it up some day, but I really have no interest in playing an interactive story (as opposed to game) that doesn't seem to have any replay value at all.

Oh, and reviews kept me from playing Dishonored since they gave off a very "functional bu mediocre" vibe. I was lucky enough to receive it for free later though, and thought it was pretty great!

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Ha! Interesting question. I thought about it and to be honest this has never happened to me, every time I wanted a game very much I bought it, no matter what the critics said. Most of the times regreted that, because they were right. What happens more often to me is the quire opposite getting games I didn't originally planned to play because of their good reviews.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Shaun Kennedy said:
So by and large a lot of people like to say they aren't swayed by other people's opinions, some people don't read reviews at all, and that's fine. There's many games that you either love or hate that had reviews completely to the contrary of your own opinion of the game. What I want to know though is, have there ever been any games that you really wanted to play, that you were really set on getting and enjoying that overwhelming negative reviews ended up making you second-guess yourself and not buying the game?

For me that was and still is Fable 3. I enjoyed Fable: TLC a lot, probably because I missed all it's hype and by the time I heard of it, TLC was already out (I think I was too busy playing Morrowind at the time). So I never got the sad disappointment of Molyneux's promises and got to enjoy the game objectively for what it was, which is still a very solid good game.

Fable 3 however, despite again not paying attention to the Lionhead Mouth of Propaganda, I found a plethora of very damning reviews online, so I waited a bit. There's been about half a dozen or more times I've considered buying this game, even when it's on sale for a measly 5$ and I go looking for reasons to play it and every single time, no matter what corner of the internet I look, I find condemning horrible reviews. Maybe one day I'll play the game and find out that I'm one of the 0.02% of gamers who enjoys the hell out of it, but so far negative reviews have actually worked on me, someone who generally doesn't care other's opinions, and I've not bought it.

Anyone else had that happen?
You should have just downloaded Fable III for free when it was available at the start of Games with Gold. That's what I did. And you know what, I've played it for about a half-hour so far and it seems decent enough. Worth paying a few quid for I reckon.

WhyWasThat

Jul 2, 2010
Depulcator said:
When I head about all the game breaking bugs I held off on fallout new vegas. But, then again, I was gonna wait til the GOTY edition anyways.[/quote
SonOfVoorhees said:
I buy whatever game i want, its the overly popular games you should worry about. Like the cod, Blops etc games - they are great at what they do. Just you walk away empty. The last game that annoyed me was Batman AO, the gameplay was awesome, just the story was mediocre. Reviews are fine, but have to stick to what you like and want to play. Otherwise all you will be playing is rubbish but awesome play games.....not crappy gameplay but way more full filling story games. If that makes sense. Look at Deadly Premonition for evidence. :)
THIS! You nailed it. Games have to be fulfilling to at least a certain degree for me to be drawn to them. It's why I'm a single-player gamer. Games like CoD, Fifa and Battlefield are just soulless.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Dark Void
I remember seeing the first article about it in Game Informer and I was like Jetpacks!?
then the demo came out and I was like JETPACKS!
then the game came out and I was like jet....packs?
but then last year I saw it on sale for like 4 bucks, and was like, ah hell, jetpacks
at which point I played it and realized you don't actually get the jetpack until a few hours in and it stops making sense around 4-5 hours in, but who the hell cares, JETPACKS!
still a crap game, and I don't regret not picking it up at launch, but for 4 bucks I'd say it was worth it

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
DoctorObviously said:
ExileNZ said:
DoctorObviously said:
Any mention in a review about frustration or elements that shouldn't be there (example: puzzling in an action game) instantly kills my mood for a game.
Really? Because Half-Life had puzzles in it. Nothing mind-blowingly difficult, of course, but puzzles nonetheless.
Half-Life 2 didn't bother me. The exception that proves the rule I guess.
Actually I was talking about Half-Life 1. But I digress.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
wombat_of_war said:
ExileNZ said:
wombat_of_war said:
i detested the first assassins creed game.. stupid ass pc controls. and i have never touched another game in the series but the new pirate one sounded interesting until i found out there is whale hunting in it.

a few things are automatic lost sales to me and thats one of them
Don't forget that they're quite likely banking on your disgust as part of the experience.

Remember Dishonored? Everyone kept talking about how important whale hunting was and how whale oil would bring the world into a brighter future thanks to all these amazing inventions, but then you find books about how whales are carved up alive while suspended by ropes, or how for all the heroism and glory associated with whaling it's actually a frightfully dangerous and horribly depressing job. Not to mention finding that great rotting carcass near the end, surrounded by flies and, well, all the spoilery stuff associated with it.
so imagine how much it turned my stomach when i purchased dishonoured, knowing it was a steam punk stealth game and not much else about it
I call that a win.