When "Dark and Edgy" Goes Too Far

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
McMarbles said:
Games that have broad appeal? That anyone can play?

I wish there was a company that based their whole business model on that.

*Captcha: "stinking rich". Strangely appropos for the money-printers.
You know, my first thought when reading that was Popcap, not Nintendo or EA. Too bad EA owns Popcap now.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
DeathQuaker said:
I don't ever remember Bioware being "light hearted." They've always consistently had humor in their games, but were never afraid to go dark. But there is a world of difference between, say, Imoen trying to deal with her torture at the hands of Jon Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2 (an interesting and important part of the story, which happens to be dark), and crazy and constant pools of blood and blood spurts and graphic of a guy hanging from a homemade noose and so on and so forth in Dragon Age (largely nothing to do with the story, just gratuitous dedgyarkness). That's why the only Japanese fantasy game series I play any more is Rune Factory. :)
Compare BG2 to DA2 and ME3. With Baldur's Gate, it had an aura of hopefullness if you play your cards right. In DA2 and ME3, your only options is how you take your screwover, either acceptingly, sarcastically or kicking and screaming.

And it lacks the M ratedness most WRPGs go for which is seen as a detractor many people.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Don't worry Yahtzee. It's perfectly natural to feel queasy at the thought of watching Hostel.

That movie is terrible.

Oh, and doesn't GrimDark pretty much encapsulate what it is you're tired of, or am I completely misunderstanding that word?
If I'm not, you probably have about a hundred thousand other people informing you of this vital piece of information already. So really, I probably shouldn't even have brought it up.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Angel Molina said:
Edit:
Mahoshonen said:
...Warhammer 40k, as well as your refusal to review anything related to it...
Would this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9153-Hating-Warhammer-40k-and-Space-Marine] count?
No it doesn't. I expected a full 5-minute trashing for my free internet entertainment, dammit!