When did Call of Duty become an insult to gamers?

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Personally, I stopped caring about CoD fans arguments about game tutorials after people I talked with in school said that the tutorial for CoD MW2 was OKAY. It was NOT a helpful tutorial if Corpral F---ing Dunn keeps yelling down my ear to switch to my other weapon!

-end anti MW2 tutorial rant-

That aside, Call of Duty takes a huge hit when it comes to multiplayer because of quite frequent disconnects, the poor quality of the community (In other games, your teammates don call everyone else on the team the n-word for not keeping them from dying.), and most importantly, crappy hit boxes. In the final killcam once in a Black Ops match, the guy was way off target, and still killed the other guy. Case in point, a lot of CoD is really just the guns and the explosions, and less the gameplay. Black Ops's campaign is a perfect example of this, as you do nothing but blow stuff up the entire time. As Yahtzee said, "Juxtoposition."

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
1. It's popular.
2. They make us[footnote]Read this as "expect us to" from now on.[/footnote] pay full price once a year for updated multiplayer (doable with patches and/or DLC) and a single player that could just be a DLC episode (GTA 4-style).

Number two is my main issue with it, mainly because I see no reason to pay $100+ a year to play shoot-'em-up on a different set of terrain.
That being said, I (unlike my friends) only buy the CoDs with zombies, as that's the main reason I play CoD anyway and, as a general rule, I don't rant about games on forums as people on the other side of the world behind a computer screen are not going to be persuaded by my arguments, no matter how good or well-thought out.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
I'm not 100% sure why, but the fact that everyone's heard of it certainly helps. It sells millions every time, and everyone buys it to play it usually, as opposed to simply renting it.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Well if CoD is such an insult, what are we supposed to like?

Also, anyone supporting hardcore PC rpgs in such a manner (it's good because it's complicated) I think is playing up to some sort of desire for exclusivity among the gamer community; sort of like a literary snob but sweatier.

EDIT: Not entirely sure if I can enter the discussion on the grounds of anyone that buys a CoD game on release, because I never have (hell I've only ever bought two of them, and for under £25)

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Probably because so many people play it, it gets tagged as an "easy" game. I prefer Call of Duty 3, myself.
Plenty of people play chess, and yet it hasn't been tagged as an easy game...
Chess isn't nearly as popular.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Coming from a guy that was ranked in the top 500 on score boards of Cod 4 (legitly). I'd have to say that it's because it's a game that appeals to a younger, more immature generation of gamers. Cod 4 was rip roaring good fun and I was a fan since cod 2 up til mw. (which I naively bought) but anyways. There's nothing you can do about it really. things come and go but unfortunately this game will probably stay for a lot longer than we all hope.

edit: left off a zero. I was top 500 not top 50.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
Probably because so many people play it, it gets tagged as an "easy" game. I prefer Call of Duty 3, myself.
I'm sorry you're an idiot. I don't really care if I get suspended for this post but that was an extremely ignorant comment...Chess isn't nearly as popular as call of duty? Put some more thought into what you spew out. Don't give us this verbal diarrhea.

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
I'm sorry you're an idiot. I don't really care if I get suspended for this post but that was an extremely ignorant comment...Chess isn't nearly as popular as call of duty? Put some more thought into what you spew out. Don't give us this verbal diarrhea.
\
Hmmm, didn't think they let you out of your cage this early...

Anyway, of course chess isn't as popular. The year is 2011 my friend.

Sure, chess is very well known, almost everyone has heard of it, but there is a huge difference between well known and popular.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Dr. Feelgood said:
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
\

Sure, chess is very well known, almost everyone has heard of it, but there is a huge difference between well known and popular.
A quick google search yields:

According to the The Chess in the Olympics Campaign, for example, "605 million people worldwide know how to play chess" and "285 million people play ... via the internet" and "7.5 million are registered players." These "staggering" numbers are repeated by Susan Polgar at her blog. Obviously, if you believe these numbers, chess is more popular than practically any other Olympic sport....

You're only making this worse for yourself. I'm sorry but there's a point between hyperbole for emphasis and plain stupidity.

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
The reason you see so many people compaining about COD is because, those who aren't complaining about it, are playing it! Its about as addictive as gaming gets, easy to pick up and play and can bring out a full spectrum of emotions. I think the COD series, is one of the best things to ever happen to gaming.

MinionStarwind

Shooby Doo-Wah
Apr 17, 2009
I like how the CoD thread just turns to everyone attacking each other.

Wait, THIS is why CoD is an insult. There.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:
Call of Duty (competitive multiplayer) is a Sport, pretending to be a game. Worse still, it succeeded (being the highest grossing franchise in gaming, and all). It threatens to destroy values the gaming community has held dear for decades(complexity, depth, challenge, attention to detail.etc.), and that corners us. And as the saying goes. "A Cornered Animal Is A Dangerous Animal".
good post

+1

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
In my humble opinion: people who say that don't like the type of gameplay COD uses i.e. the arcady gameplay style or the simple fact that it's a shooter. I, for example, don't understand the appeal of racing games. A racing game has to get everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, right before I have fun with it and that hasn't happened in a very long time for me. The last racing game I had fun with was one of the last Driver games. GTA 4 doesn't count because it was a giant "fuck-off virtual life shoot people in the face game." Which is all fine and good but I can't and won't call it a racing game.

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
\

According to the The Chess in the Olympics Campaign, for example, "605 million people worldwide know how to play chess" and "285 million people play ... via the internet" and "7.5 million are registered players." These "staggering" numbers are repeated by Susan Polgar at her blog. Obviously, if you believe these numbers, chess is more popular than practically any other Olympic sport....

You're only making this worse for yourself. I'm sorry but there's a point between hyperbole for emphasis and plain stupidity.
I searched a little bit, and the only thing I was able to find was 13 million unique players in Call of Duty 4, those results are obviously from a few years back. Anyway, Call of Duty is certainly more popular than chess where I live. (probably because I live in America, but that's another story) Anyway, I don't have any stats to compare since I can't find any. I'll keep searching.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
MinionStarwind said:
I like how the CoD thread just turns to everyone attacking each other.

Wait, THIS is why CoD is an insult. There.
Well, the only people doing the insulting are the ones hating on CoD...

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Dr. Feelgood said:
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
\

That is like saying football(soccer) is known but not popular. Everyone I know plays chess or at least knows how to.

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
Dr. Feelgood said:
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
crepesack said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
4li3n said:
Dr. Feelgood said:
\

I searched a little bit, and the only thing I was able to find was 13 million unique players in Call of Duty 4, those results are obviously from a few years back. Anyway, Call of Duty is certainly more popular than chess where I live. (probably because I live in America, but that's another story) Anyway, I don't have any stats to compare since I can't find any. I'll keep searching.
Umm nope, there were over 45 million chess players in the U.S back in 2004. http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/752764.html