When does someone deserve death?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Ok, after reading all of the posts, I have come to several conclusions.

1. Half of you think killing is never ok, but have different opinions of what to do with the person instead of killing them. Life in prison/solitary confinement, and torture were the main choices, and in some cases, you'd actually try to rectify the person to get them back into society. I think we can all agree though, that the amount of rectification would depend on their crime, and would have to be damn certain that they were rectified, so we don't have repeat offenders out on the streets.

2. The other half of you think killing is ok, but there was a bit of gray area about what constitutes killing. Everything from: touching kids, to killing a busload of grandmas, to rape. Most of the examples were taking the life of another, which seems to imply that most of you (in this half at least) believe the phrase "An eye for an eye".

3. There is a bit of debate about what the purpose of prisons is, and I have to agree, it really does depend on the country. The US has the most prisoners out of any other country (as a percentage), so it is safe to assume that it is for the sake of quarantine. I think we can all agree that we don't want prisoners out on the street with normal people, but is quarantine really all that should be done for them? If you stick prisoners in prison, even if it is for their entire lives, what good does that do? I think putting someone in prison for life is a passive way of killing them, something that I am not ok with. Another point that was brought up, was the cost of prisons and the actual killing process of a death sentence. I didn't want this to enter discussion, but I didn't make that clear in the original post, and figured this thread had died, so didn't think of adding it in.

To re-state my original post, I want you to decide whether it is ok to kill a person or not, and in what circumstances is it ok to kill someone, and when it is not. A really simple question, but you have to do a couple things to get to the answer that I want:
- Ignore the laws and regulations of your country. I don't want to know what your country does, I want to know what you would do if the choice was completely up to you.
- Decide what to do with the person after you have decided to kill them or keep them alive. You can tell that some people's answers depend on what they think can and should be done with them after the fact, and I didn't want that to happen. I just want to know whether you think it is ok or not to kill someone, not "Well now that they are not dead, what now? Well they stay in prison and suck up my cash for the rest of their life... I am changing my answer to: kill the bastard"
- Ignore the process that must be taken in judging the person guilty or not, and the process that leads to them dying. In this thread, the decision is made by you. You either decide the person will live, or they will die. If they die, a pit opens up beneath them and they are disintegrated. This way, all irrelevant things can be ignored, like the cost of re-trials, appeals, how much it costs to kill a guy, lawyers, etc.

I am glad everyone contributed their bit, the discussion was (heated at times) but interesting. I am glad to see that there are several conflicting opinions from the states, which supports my belief that you aren't all murdering psychopaths (lol, kidding). I imagine if we got a good percentage of the internet to weigh in, most would not support the killing people (or they could be convinced otherwise if they were to answer as I would like them to answer). I say "the internet" because the public is ignorant and stupid. Besides, the internet is the boiling pot of opinions, and only the strongest ones survive.

Also, I know that was really TL;DR, but I hope everyone that weighed in, reads it.
It would be nice if you stated what your opinion was under the new clarified circumstances, but I won't bend your leg to make you do it :p

*comes back to 200 posts later*
lawl, I wish.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Noelveiga said:
"When does somebody deserve death?" is the wrong question to explain why death penalty should be abolished worldwide.

The question is "when should the government make you kill somebody?" and the answer to that one is "never".

It's not about whether I think a killer is "bad enough" that he or she deserves to get killed. That has never been what this is about. It's about whether or not I as a citizen want to be a part of institutionalized murder, and I don't. I don't care who's getting murdered or why, I want no part of it.

Of course, you can argue that war also gets people killed, and no, I don't oppose armies, although I think war is a thing to avoid, as does everybody else, I hope. But that's the same difference there is between revenge murder and self defence, and there is a reason why one of those is legal and the other isn't.
This thread is less about the death penalty, and more about ending a person's life.
The death penalty is merely the vehicle that ends peoples lives; the "publicly acceptable" way of killing someone that has performed a heinous crime.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
TestECull said:

TriGGeR_HaPPy said:

Instead of death for the most horrible of actions, what fate should they receive?
For the worst of the worst, those who are downright terrible people and have no chance at being rehabilitated, I'd suggest that they are locked up for a very, very long time (e.g. for the rest of their life in some of the worse cases).

Hope you enjoy paying for three squares a day, housing, clothing, medical and the like for 'em!
"Enjoy" is not the word I'd use. However, yes, I'd put up with it. ^_^
Well shoot I know what I'm doing when I lose my job, family, house and all my money. Really who wouldn't want to be a murderer if this guy is gonna pay for my living expenses for the rest of my life?

Got to agree with the Punisher on page one to an extent...I believe that there are those that are redeemable and there are those who cannot/will not be changed, and some of those rabid dogs just need to be put down.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Vigilantis said:
TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
TestECull said:

TriGGeR_HaPPy said:

Instead of death for the most horrible of actions, what fate should they receive?
For the worst of the worst, those who are downright terrible people and have no chance at being rehabilitated, I'd suggest that they are locked up for a very, very long time (e.g. for the rest of their life in some of the worse cases).

Hope you enjoy paying for three squares a day, housing, clothing, medical and the like for 'em!
"Enjoy" is not the word I'd use. However, yes, I'd put up with it. ^_^
Well shoot I know what I'm doing when I lose my job, family, house and all my money. Really who wouldn't want to be a murderer if this guy is gonna pay for my living expenses for the rest of my life?

I refer you to one of my posts on the second page:

TriGGeR_HaPPy said:
If money is all you care about, then you also should probably be not asking for the death penalty.
Plus, it's not exactly like life in prison is a vacation.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Compared to freezing to death and starving out on the streets? Atleast in prison should I survive the shanking the prison itself has to patch me up, were I stabbed in downtown Seattle I most assuredly would die on the sidewalk as people walk passed my corpse for a few hours.

Yeah no its not only a vacation its a godsend if you are in a shitty condition which I have no doubt many are.

And where did I comment that money is all I care about? Please quote. I simply stated that if you are handing out the cash to pay for room and board I have no problem in accepting your terms and should that mean I have to go kill a few old ladies so be it. (I'll throw in a few kittens if you somehow get them to put a TV in my cell)

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'm from california, and anyone who claims that star wars episodes 1-3 are better than 4-6 are crazy and should probably be put down before they harm society.

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
Harsh punishments to scare off criminals work well, when the court systems work well.

Although death could be substituted with life imprisonment or listening to X amount of time of Friday on loop.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
If they are a cleric or a favored soul and for some reason didn't heal them self, they had it coming. Or if they are a class that can use healing wands but still expect my healer to use my wands which cost money. those ass holes can die too.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
[quote="zehydra" post="18.318172.12964273"
Scenario 1) the person does not "deserve" death, but you killing him is ok given the circumstances.
Scenario 2) the person does not "deserve" death, and the issue at hand should be whether or not the prison system or other punishments will protect society from the accused.[/quote]

Exactly, unless the person is / could / wants to strike again, then yes, strike them down, but for one guy who kills another but only wants to kill that ONE, then they don't get death. I like Canada policy.

Why does it matter where I live, anyways?

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Vigilantis said:
Compared to freezing to death and starving out on the streets? Atleast in prison should I survive the shanking the prison itself has to patch me up, were I stabbed in downtown Seattle I most assuredly would die on the sidewalk as people walk passed my corpse for a few hours.

Yeah no its not only a vacation its a godsend if you are in a shitty condition which I have no doubt many are.

And where did I comment that money is all I care about? Please quote. I simply stated that if you are handing out the cash to pay for room and board I have no problem in accepting your terms and should that mean I have to go kill a few old ladies so be it. (I'll throw in a few kittens if you somehow get them to put a TV in my cell)
Apologies. I jumped the gun a little - I misunderstood what point you were making. I was assuming that you were talking as a person who would be paying for these people, so I was pointing out that it's actually cheaper to keep them locked up rather than give them the death sentence.

If you're in such a crappy position as to murder someone just so you could go to prison... Then yeah, again, I've got no problem with paying that tiny amount of tax You kind of insinuated that I'd be paying the full fees for people. I'm not sure if this was an accident, I misread what you said, or you misread what I posted earlier, but all I'm saying is that I'm fine with paying the tax for prisons. to keep you in prison. If you're really that screwed up, then I'd rather keep you locked up than on the streets.

Now, yes, if the death penalty was in place, this may not even occur to you as an option if you'll just end up being killed yourself. However, if the death penalty was in place, there would be innocent people murdered anyway. It's just that this way, they'd be killed legally, by the state.
(A couple things to note. Yes, there are people who are killed by the state who were actually innocent, and yes, the number of these people may be small, but surely that number is as small as those who, somehow, didn't get to successfully apply for money from the government, didn't manage to make it into shelters, etc., and after all this would actually murder someone just so that they could get into prison of all places.)

Neither situation is inherently better or worse. It's just that one way has murderer's either rehabilitated and re-entering society as "normal" people again or being locked up for the rest of their life (the problem being that, yes, there may be some people out there who are so incredibly desperate that they'd kill just to get into prison, however I'd like to re-iterate that without seeing any statistics I'd probably say that this number of people would be pretty low), the other has possibly less people committing murder and other heinous crimes some would deem worthy of the death penalty (but this way has some innocent people killed, too).

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
If someone rapes a child, they are no longer human nor worth anything, and should be put down. Call me cynical or heartless or whatever, but a pedophile deserves to die if you ask me.

NurseDoomsday

Sep 29, 2009
I think people who talk in the movie theater deserve death, does that make me a bad person?

In all seriousness, I think pedophiles and rapists should be killed where they stand.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
People who harm others. I will allow myself to go far and say people who don't uphold the law as well. The law is there for a reason, and if broken, that person is of no use to society. I'm personally all for death penalty. I don't believe in all the reforming bullshit from prisons, as we've seen countless times that it does not help. But of course, if death penalty was put in to the extend I'd want it to, you'd have to reconfigure the entire law and order system, to make sure no innocents got killed.

Sniperyeti

Mar 28, 2010
Justice should be cold blooded. The only acceptable time to take someone's life is if they are about to endanger that of another of their own volition. Once secured by the authorities, execution is unnecessary and off limits.

I live in New Zealand.