When was the last time you couldn't finish a game cause it was too difficult?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
trunkage said:
Dark Souls 2 - the Fume Knight. The bane of my existence

I've did the Nameless King solo on my second try but the Fume Knight,,, just cant do it even with summons
I got lucky and found a gold summon for another player. We did in one fight which I'd failed at in like 20, even with the NPC summon. He's like Artorias on Steroids and honestly, Artorias wasn't that bad for me. Normally 1:1 fights don't bother me much(boss fights where I'm outnumbered are another story) but the fume knight just seems really obnoxious. No weaknesses, two fucking swords and the ability to smack no matter how you come at him.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Probably hasn't happened since Ghosts and Goblins. Twisted Metal 2 was difficult, took a 6 hour marathon session, but I did finally win. Never beat Rogue Trip in single player, but it was easy with splitscreen multiplayer.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Republic Commando got pretty damn hard towards the end, and I admit that I would have never got through it if I hadn't lowered the game to easy.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
Super Meat Boy (the Steam version), which I never beat because either the game or my keyboard were being asnine. The input lag was bad, bad, bad. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I came incredibly close to giving up on Hotline Miami 2's Hard Mode, but I perservered and beat it. Still would not recommend it to anybody, at all, nor will I ever revisit it.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
Republic Commando where you had to skirt around the droideka loading area at the giant Confederate Sphere base. I didn't know you could lower the difficultly back then, and instead of bypassing the enemy, I fought them without shooting them in the weak-spots. I was around twelve back then.

I am bad at stealth so recently I couldn't bypass the Watch Dogs 1 area where you first had to use stealth in a place where they auto-pull the alarm if your detected.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Coincidentally, the last game I remember doing that was God of War Ascension, during the trials of Archimedes. The difficulty took a spike in that section, and it was not interesting nor was it original, just fight wave after wave of enemies without health items in very small rectangular arenas. After a couple hours of trying to beat this section that was A LOT harder than anything in the previous games (in normal difficulty), I remembered: that is the least interesting God of War game of the entire franchise (including the PSP games) and that happened, more or less, 20 minutes before the end of the game; so I had no further reason to endure that, I can just throw away the disc and can watch the rest of it on youtube. I didn't regret it one bit.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
hermes said:
Coincidentally, the last game I remember doing that was God of War Ascension, during the trials of Archimedes. The difficulty took a spike in that section, and it was not interesting nor was it original, just fight wave after wave of enemies without health items in very small rectangular arenas. After a couple hours of trying to beat this section that was A LOT harder than anything in the previous games (in normal difficulty), I remembered: that is the least interesting God of War game of the entire franchise (including the PSP games) and that happened, more or less, 20 minutes before the end of the game; so I had no further reason to endure that, I can just throw away the disc and can watch the rest of it on youtube. I didn't regret it one bit.
Imagine my frustration that I was playing on hard difficulty.
That was the most arduous part of the game, harder than anything they had thrown or indeed throw at you afterwards (final boss is a cinch by comparison). I ended up getting through it by spamming the clone & the stop-time thingy as frequently as possible.
The only other part that came close to making me quit was the timed fight where there are walls of fire closing in on you that kill you if you don't kill everything else in time.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can't actually think of a game that just beat me. I can think of games that I just decided I didn't need to play anymore. The last one that comes to mind is the new xcom 2. It was fun for awhile but I've got a good team and Im near the end, its kinda gotten to be a slog, an annoying solder injuring slog. It's still installed so I can go back, but for now I just don't feel the need to win it.

Edit: oh holy shit. Did not expect to pretty much have to eat my words because of a shit encounter design. I've been playing doom wads and the one Im playing right now is called Unloved. Its a really awesomely atmospheric silent hill-esk huge map. But there is an encounter late in it where you first have to fight 2 barons of hell in close quarters, then you have to face a bunch of invisible pinkies, then 2 archviles, then it spawns 2 huge hordes which both have an arch vile with them, all in these really close quarters so you cant just run around and get them to kill each other. I have a feeling Im going to end up just god modeing it since I want to see the end and fuck archviles.

Double edit: nevermind, I managed to make it through.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I can only think of a few since I've never been too proud to drop the difficulty in a game.

Dark Souls And Bloodborne both beat me pretty quick. I think Capra demon was my wall in dark souls and Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. I can kinda see why people like the games but multiple things just drained all the fun out of it very quickly for me. The difficulty was a major one combines with what was (to me at least) a VERY unintuitive control scheme. The vagueness of the actual plot didn't help either. I eventually watched a Let's Play on Youtube for both (as well as the rest of the series). and after seeing Scribe gush about the lore and backstory and how everything fits together it honestly just made me want to play THAT story rather than what was actually in the games.

Dead Island came VERY close thanks to being entirely nonbalanced for single-player. I eventually beat it out of spite.

Furi stomped me into the ground on the second or third fight. The flashlight headed girl for those who have played it. AT least I grabbed it when it was free for ps+.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
darkcalling said:
Dead Island came VERY close thanks to being entirely nonbalanced for single-player. I eventually beat it out of spite.
I came VERY close to giving up on Dead Island as well. For me it was the bugs. There's a bug that weapons will disappear if you craft or customize more than one item at once, which I tried to avoid, until weapons started disappearing from my inventory with no explanation. Given the emphasis the game puts on crafting your own arsenal, upgrading your weapons with money that is VERY easy to lose and modding them with parts that are VERY hard to get... having that simply disappear on me for no reason was excruciating. That and the fact I was Throwing class, which meant I threw most of my stuff hoping 1) it wouldn't simply disappear into the ground and 2) I'd be able to retrieve it before dying.

I swore that game on and off throughout 3 years before I finally beat it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Finished hell, I put two hours into the Dark Souls 3 tutorial boss before writing off that $60 bucks. A bad tutorial is one thing, but DS3 just doeasn't have one.

Doesn't help that DS3 is literally the first From Software game I've ever played baring a little bit of Kings Field decades ago.

Started up the first Dark Souls recently and that's been a relative breeze. Might give 3 another shot after I stop being mad at it.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
darkcalling said:
I came VERY close to giving up on Dead Island as well. For me it was the bugs. There's a bug that weapons will disappear if you craft or customize more than one item at once, which I tried to avoid, until weapons started disappearing from my inventory with no explanation. Given the emphasis the game puts on crafting your own arsenal, upgrading your weapons with money that is VERY easy to lose and modding them with parts that are VERY hard to get... having that simply disappear on me for no reason was excruciating. That and the fact I was Throwing class, which meant I threw most of my stuff hoping 1) it wouldn't simply disappear into the ground and 2) I'd be able to retrieve it before dying.

I swore that game on and off throughout 3 years before I finally beat it.
I heard about that glitch but never experienced it myself thankfully as that probably WOULD have made me rage quit. I guess either I was lucky or they had patched that one out by the time I got it. Grabbed it used several months after the initial release.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
I enjoyed a lot Syndicate back in the 1990s. I got Syndicate Plus a few years ago on GOG, so re-played Syndicate recently, and then went on to try Syndicate - American Revolt, the expansion.
Every single mission seems to be a nightmare and I didn't even bother to finish even one - on the other hand, I had no problem with my replay of the original Syndicate...

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Halo Wars 2 on Heroic. Basically, the difficulty curve on Halo Wars 2 isn't hard because it is fair, or super tactical, but it is hard because it is bullshit. Basically, on any difficulty past normal, the enemy faction will be able to use their leader powers, so if you get into the line of sight of an enemy unit, they will just summon some super death laser from the sky and melt half of your army.

Also, it is unavoidable and has some crazy splash damage.

Had to quit the second-to-last mission, and restart it on easy just to pass it. Absolute bullshit. Can't wait for my legendary run....

Hops

Feb 28, 2017
Tomb Raider 2013, the mission where you have to get past a gate or something with a bunch of dudes chasing you. I'd played it all the way up to that point on hard, but had to lower the difficulty because the enemies would just hunt me down and kill me when I'd run out of bullets. After making it easier, I still couldn't get past it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hops said:
Tomb Raider 2013, the mission where you have to get past a gate or something with a bunch of dudes chasing you. I'd played it all the way up to that point on hard, but had to lower the difficulty because the enemies would just hunt me down and kill me when I'd run out of bullets. After making it easier, I still couldn't get past it.
For me it was the bit where you parachute through a forest. Never really figured out how to do it, I just lucked out.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Let's see, besides the innumerable amount of Nes/SNes games I couldn't get through way back in the day...

FTL: Faster than Light - even when the RNG was on my side I've never beaten the Rebel Flagship, ended up losing interest in the game after the 10th or so loss to it.

Kerbal Space Program - I am just not good enough at mathematics and engineering to do anything in this game. Hell, I never landed on another planet before I quit.

Darkest Dungeon - was actually in the Darkest Dungeon, but a bad string of RNG ended up killing my entire party in a single fight and it would've taken me far too long to grind back up to that point.

Final Fantasy X - I can't remember the name of the boss, but there was a mid-late game boss who just shredded me because I'd never quite got a hang of the leveling system and was severely underpowered, but couldn't go and farm to make it any easier because of where the fight was taking place. A shame since I'd liked the game, but wasn't quite keen on restarting and retreading 40 hours of content to give the boss a proper go.

Lost Odyssey - Another farming problem with an RPG, except this time not even against a main boss. Just a mini-boss, out in a field, without any random encounters nearby. At first I thought I was supposed to lose the fight because of how hard it was destroying me, but no, turns out I forgot the golden rule of an RPG: Grind Whenever, Wherever, Until It Takes An Hour To Level Up Against What You're Fighting.

Mass Effect 2 Insanity Run - Fun fact: did you know the way Mass Effect 2 calculates enemy strength is based off your upgrades? And that if you do a new game+, and thus lose all your upgrades, the enemies will retain the strength scaling based off all your old-game upgrades because apparently it was programmed by a chimp? I got up to Garrus' recruitment mission and was getting ripped apart trying to close a shutter, and when I found out it was because I'd brought my level 30 along and the game was expecting them to have 60% more health and shields than they had, I just ended up quitting. Fuck that noise, I'll go fight the Nameless King in DS3 instead, at least he's fair.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
I don't like leaving games unfinished, so I have a tenancy to headbutt difficulty walls until they break. With that being said, there are three games that broke me:

-Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels Fuck this game and everyone associated with it. Oh you know you're in for a good time when the second item in the game insta-kills you.
-Megaman & Bass Started out thinking "hey, this ain't that hard". Then I got to Burner Man's stage. And never passed it. I think the cherry on the shit cake was the fact that it contains the single most annoying music loop I've ever heard in a game.
-Ghosts and Goblins This is generally considered the most difficult game ever made for a reason. I never even made to the end of the first run. And I vowed never to return after finding out what happens when you beat the game for the first time.

Aside from that, I'm on a hiatus from Dark Souls, but I do intend to return to that. I never want to play those three games again.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
About a year ago I borrorwed my buddy's copy of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 to play Birth By Sleep. I decided to play the Characters in order from most to least appealing (Aqua, Terra, then Ven).

I never got to Ven. Fucking Xenahort man.

I've been chomping at the bit for the ps4 remix rebirth remake ultra turbo graphix HD Tournament edition to try again.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I was planning on playing the Kingdom Hearts remasters a few months back, mostly because I already bought 1.5 and 2.5 and figured I should probably play them. I got to Wonderland and got into a fight I could not win against two very fat and obnoxious Heartless. They would like two shot my party members and leave me on my own and slaughter me. I died like ten times and just realized I had other shit to play.

I'm sure I'll come back to it when they release them on PS4.