When was the last time you couldn't finish a game cause it was too difficult?

necromanzer52

Mar 19, 2009
CoCage said:
necromanzer52 said:
Devil May Cry 3. I got to this one boss where you fight these 2 knights who then combine into one knight (Or maybe it was the other way around). I got to a point where I was consistently getting very close to beating them, but couldn't quite pull it off. I won't say I gave up on it, I just took a break for 5 or 6 years. Someday I'll go back and beat it. But not this day.
Agni and Rudra. Were you playing vanilla DMC3 or the Special Edition. Either way, they're known for being gate stoppers. Here's a hint, try to get both of their health low enough. That way, you won't have to worry about the other taking his other weapon. All it takes is some practice, and memorizing the patterns. Don't rush; believe me on that one.
It was the special edition on normal. I specifically got it because I'd heard it was easier than the original version. I spent a good couple of hours on that boss before giving up. It takes a lot to get me to ragequit. Maybe I'll give it a shot on easy when I go back to it.

That game probably could have used some kind of a tutorial. I remember you could pick one of 4 playstyles before each level, but I could never figure out how that choice actually affected the gameplay.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ryallen said:
I don't finish games in general, but the last time I remember not finishing a game because it was too difficult was Disgaea 3. I didn't know that you were supposed to grind for levels in the item worlds, so I did every fight under leveled and got up to the Prinny Mask fight. Once one of the angel lion things one shot my Chef guy, I quit the game right then and there.

I mean, I've temporarily dropped games because they were too hard but then picked them up again and got through the part. But Disgaea 3 was thef irst time where I've put down a game that was too hard with no intention of playing again.
I had the same problem but with the first Disgaea some years ago. Weirdly I'm playing Disgaea 3 right now and I'm having the opposite "problem" - spent too much time in the Item World, and now the story missions are broken beyond being any fun.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
necromanzer52 said:
CoCage said:
necromanzer52 said:
Devil May Cry 3. I got to this one boss where you fight these 2 knights who then combine into one knight (Or maybe it was the other way around). I got to a point where I was consistently getting very close to beating them, but couldn't quite pull it off. I won't say I gave up on it, I just took a break for 5 or 6 years. Someday I'll go back and beat it. But not this day.
Agni and Rudra. Were you playing vanilla DMC3 or the Special Edition. Either way, they're known for being gate stoppers. Here's a hint, try to get both of their health low enough. That way, you won't have to worry about the other taking his other weapon. All it takes is some practice, and memorizing the patterns. Don't rush; believe me on that one.
It was the special edition on normal. I specifically got it because I'd heard it was easier than the original version. I spent a good couple of hours on that boss before giving up. It takes a lot to get me to ragequit. Maybe I'll give it a shot on easy when I go back to it.

That game probably could have used some kind of a tutorial. I remember you could pick one of 4 playstyles before each level, but I could never figure out how that choice actually affected the gameplay.
Trickster gets you a second dodge (O) button, Swordmaster gives you a second melee button, Gunslinger gives you a second firing mode, and makes the O button give Dante the ability to block and parry attacks. Each of the 4 styles can be leveled up twice. For a beginner, use sword master first as you have more attack options available. You also unlock two other play styles as you advance: Quicksilver (slow down time) Doppelganger (Two Dantes'). Though I recommend you don't use those until you're more comfortable with Swordmaster first.

There is a tutorial at the beginning of the first stage, it's just a matter if you turned it on or off at the start of the mission; or went in to the options and turned it off there before starting your new game.

Also here is a guide for Agni and Rudra.

Now granted, this is on Dante Must Die Mode, and the guy playing is using Royal Guard (but not a full on expert), but here's an example of what to do. I know since you're on a new game, you don't have devil trigger (Dante acquires DT after beating mission 7), so stock on a couple of healing items, if you haven't already. Or like you said, go through easy mode until you get the hang of it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Dark Souls 2 - the Fume Knight. The bane of my existence

I've did the Nameless King solo on my second try but the Fume Knight,,, just cant do it even with summons

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I've yet to beat DOOM 2016 on Ultra-Nightmare and I had beaten Alien: Isolation on it's hardest difficulty until they patched in an even harder difficulty. I have more interest in beating Doom than Alien though, so that might happen.

And kind of a cheat answer but I haven't even touched The Old Hunters in Bloodborne because I didn't know about New Game+ or about the difficulty in the DLC and I want to beat the main story again so I can be good enough ramble ramble wroggle.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
I got stuck in a game the other day (God of War: Ascension in Hard Mode, the elevator fight near the end) and for the first time in years I feared I was simply not good enough to finish the game. I did eventually, but the familiar vertigo of frustration and insecurity had already caught up to me. And with that came all the flashbacks to my SNES days, when I would play a game in one seating and without a save option, knowing I'd have to give up in that one specific part simply because I wasn't good enough.

Nowadays this almost never happens - you know you're going to get past a part - and I don't know if it's because I've gotten better, the games have gotten easier (less cryptic, that's for sure) or a combo of the both (as well as having access to a pretty comprehensive selection of LPs, FAQs and walkthroughs).

Anyway, I kinda liked the feeling, if only for nostalgia. When was the last time you got it?
I've always been of the mindset that the idea of "games were harder when I was a kid" is not really true. Sure there were some games that were very hard, (ports of cash grabbing arcade machines mostly) but that wasn't the usual case. The games were hard to us as kids because we were stupid back then, understand mechanics, processing and developing strategies was beyond us. As an adult we have the full power of reasoning on our side, able to work out tactics, plan, and adapt much better than as a kid. Top that off with fully developed reflexes allow us to respond to situations quicker.

Games are just as hard now, but we are physically better suited to overcome them than we ever could as kids. Even the legendary difficult games of our childhood like Battletoads have been replaced with games like Dark Souls.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Dark Souls 2's Fume Knight was a nightmare on NG+1 and I still couldn't beat him when I tried again last year.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Xenonauts (its an indie version of XCOM). Apparently the official reboot of XCOM wasn't hardcore enough compared to the 90's versions (which I never played). Anyway, the only way I could make any progress at all in Xenonauts was the most extreme version of save scumming you can imagine. After a few hours I recognised I wasn't having fun and I was basically cheating, so I quit.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Both Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem Fates Conquest.

And I haven't played with my 3DS much since.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Johnny Novgorod said:
I got stuck in a game the other day (God of War: Ascension in Hard Mode, the elevator fight near the end) and for the first time in years I feared I was simply not good enough to finish the game. I did eventually, but the familiar vertigo of frustration and insecurity had already caught up to me. And with that came all the flashbacks to my SNES days, when I would play a game in one seating and without a save option, knowing I'd have to give up in that one specific part simply because I wasn't good enough.

Nowadays this almost never happens - you know you're going to get past a part - and I don't know if it's because I've gotten better, the games have gotten easier (less cryptic, that's for sure) or a combo of the both (as well as having access to a pretty comprehensive selection of LPs, FAQs and walkthroughs).

Anyway, I kinda liked the feeling, if only for nostalgia. When was the last time you got it?
I'm not a big God of War fan, but here someone that might be able to help you.

<spoiler=God of War: Ascension - Titan Difficulty - Trial of Archimedes>
Heads up, this guy was able to beat the trial on Titan difficulty before they patched it in for the player to get more health orbs after completing each section. Apparently, "offical" reviewers whined about it being "too hard", while most gamers didn't have much trouble. Everybody's at a different skill level, and I wish you the best of luck. If I can beat Bayonetta 1 & 2 on Infinite Climax, you beat this on hard mode.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
The fucking Dark Souls 2 DLC.

I'm actually mostly OK with the difficulty and the bosses seemed doable... it's just they placed the bonfires a mile away from some of the most spectacular boss fights in the series.
Blue Smelter Demon and Sir Alonne - extremely tough but fair fights you could eventually win and feel good about. Getting to either of those bosses though, especially with any health or estus flasks left is questionable at best and not fair at all.

Also, Catherine and Metal Gear Rising Revengence. I eventually had to lower the difficulty to finish those games.
*hangs head in shame*

OH YEAH! Alien Isolation. I hate that the alien is tethered to you in certain locations and on harder difficulties it becomes apparent that there's no patrol route or pattern, it's just magically always within a certain radius of you.
Stealth games with no patrol routes to learn don't work! That's like Super Mario Bros without the Jump button!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Dragon Quest Heroes. Although my frustration comes more from the fact that I had to defend something instead of just being able to smash enemies around, and then failing because the enemies got to whatever it was I was supposed to be defending.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Zhukov said:
Braid.

Got stuck on a puzzle. Something to do with a time-slowing ring and a falling ladder.

My internet was down long term at the time so I couldn't just google the answer.

Never did figure it out and by the time I got internet back a few weeks later I had long since lost interest.

This sounds very familiar...I wouldn't be surprised if I stopped playing at this same level. Then again, who knows how many other levels my be similar to it.

Anyways, it's one of those games I wouldn't mind going back to if I didn't have so much other stuff to play.

I've been sitting on a Croatia mission in C&C: Tiberium Wars for about a year or so where you need to pretty much fight a war on three fronts, while waiting for reinforcements. I watched a youtube of it, but after the initial amazement subsided I was left with an empty feeling of realizing why I'm not crazy about RTS games: They're personally more fun to watch than they are to play. I still have it installed in case something ever inspires me to trudge on through at least the GDI campaign. I think my biggest obstacle is taking the time to learn all the hotkeys; many of which are pretty much essential at that point in the game. Maybe then, and only then, might the game become more fun to play than it is to watch.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CoCage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I'm not a big God of War fan, but here someone that might be able to help you.

<spoiler=God of War: Ascension - Titan Difficulty - Trial of Archimedes>
Heads up, this guy was able to beat the trial on Titan difficulty before they patched it in for the player to get more health orbs after completing each section. Apparently, "offical" reviewers whined about it being "too hard", while most gamers didn't have much trouble. Everybody's at a different skill level, and I wish you the best of luck. If I can beat Bayonetta 1 & 2 on Infinite Climax, you beat this on hard mode.
Thank you but I beat the part before making this thread (even Platinum'd the game). Funny you should mention Bayonetta - that's another game that brought me endless frustration. No one part in particular, just a general feeling. Like I never quite figured out how to play the game properly, I had to inch my way to the finish line.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
On second thought, Crypt of the Necrodancer is pretty much the very definition of a game that's too difficult for me. Except the first 4-5 characters, where finishing the game is feasible, I can't get past the third freakin level.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Enter the Gungeon continuously kicks me in the balls. I am truly shit at bullet hell pressure. But keep going back. Like an abused lover. Haven't even beaten third boss yet. *[small]Sobs in complete shame and self-loathing[/small]*

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Eh, I think probably the first Dark Souls. I gave up on it completely for months. When I started playing again something just clicked and I found it manageable after that. Until I got to Ornstein and Smough, the pricks.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Ravenbom said:
The fucking Dark Souls 2 DLC.

I'm actually mostly OK with the difficulty and the bosses seemed doable... it's just they placed the bonfires a mile away from some of the most spectacular boss fights in the series.
Blue Smelter Demon and Sir Alonne - extremely tough but fair fights you could eventually win and feel good about. Getting to either of those bosses though, especially with any health or estus flasks left is questionable at best and not fair at all.
As someone who literally just finished Brume Tower for the first time, I hear you on Sir Alonne. I basically fought through that memory over and over again and warped out before the boss both to grind souls and to clear the path so I could fight Mr. Samurai with full flasks. I also brought summons because after getting my ass handed to me a few times, realized "Yeah, honor and all that, but I need that last smelter wedge and Sir Alonne is guarding it, so I'm finishing this".

As for the smelter demon pt. 2, I didn't even bother. I beat him the first time and once I realized he's not required to clear the DLC, decided not to even bother.

It's kind of DS2's big problem(other then some of the wierd lore bits). A lot of the game feels like "Now with 20% MORE!" but a fair bit of that content isn't particularly good or interesting. And the sheer number of bosses and area, some of of which have nothing unique or awesome in them doesn't make me feel bad for skipping the side areas or bosses. And considering the DLC expand the game by something like 25-30%, I'm already doing side content I don't actually need to. I just don't feel like I need to do the side-side content like the Iron Passage, Cave of the Dead or Frozen Outskirts.

Hell, I could finish the game tonight if I wanted to. There's nothing between me and the Throne of Want but the final boss, but I want to get the last two crowns first.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
A couple off the top of my head:

-Demons Souls. Still haven't gotten past that stupid dragon bridge in 1-2. Can get the end of the bridge, but that mass of dudes,the blue eyed knight and archers just before the boss is like a brick wall that murders me each time. So I stopped and jumped into DS2. Unfortunatly, I have Bloodborne on order so I'm probably not getting back to DeS for a while.

-Not a Hero. Got near the end of the game, ran into a level I couldn't finish and haven't been back since. I'll get back to it someday.