When was the last time you couldn't finish a game cause it was too difficult?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
CaitSeith said:
Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne DLCs. I got stuck in every one of them...
Same here regarding Dark Souls 2. We'll see about Bloodborne. I just got past the Living Failures boss, but after the fight with Ludwig, I'm wondering if I can deal with the stuff ahead.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
Darkest Dungeon - was actually in the Darkest Dungeon, but a bad string of RNG ended up killing my entire party in a single fight and it would've taken me far too long to grind back up to that point.
Same. It took so long to build up a decent party that losing them in the final dungeons easily made me want to give up.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
sageoftruth said:
CaitSeith said:
Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne DLCs. I got stuck in every one of them...
Same here regarding Dark Souls 2. We'll see about Bloodborne. I just got past the Living Failures boss, but after the fight with Ludwig, I'm wondering if I can deal with the stuff ahead.
I didn't pass Ludwig, so you're already ahead of me. Good job!

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
sageoftruth said:
Wrex Brogan said:
Darkest Dungeon - was actually in the Darkest Dungeon, but a bad string of RNG ended up killing my entire party in a single fight and it would've taken me far too long to grind back up to that point.
Same. It took so long to build up a decent party that losing them in the final dungeons easily made me want to give up.
The frustrating thing was it was just pure RNG that ruined it - the enemies I was fighting were the same ones I'd destroyed the last battle. But then someone got crit, then took a massive stress hit by the caster I hadn't killed, became afflicted, became Masochistic, then every turn after that they just attacked themselves, stressing the rest of the party, who also became afflicted... Yeah.

Got one guy out of that cock-up cascade, and he was so mentally shredded it would've been cheaper to level up someone else instead. All because someone got stressed out by 22 points instead of 20.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
sageoftruth said:
Wrex Brogan said:
The frustrating thing was it was just pure RNG that ruined it - the enemies I was fighting were the same ones I'd destroyed the last battle. But then someone got crit, then took a massive stress hit by the caster I hadn't killed, became afflicted, became Masochistic, then every turn after that they just attacked themselves, stressing the rest of the party, who also became afflicted... Yeah.

Got one guy out of that cock-up cascade, and he was so mentally shredded it would've been cheaper to level up someone else instead. All because someone got stressed out by 22 points instead of 20.
Ouch. That would break anyone's spirit I imagine.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I tend to just try again and again till i finally suceed by some random chance of luck, so getting permastuck outside of bugs is rare for me. It helps that i play most games on normal difficulty and only play on harder ones if im replaying a game i like. One of such cases was Spec-Ops The Line. I played it on hard, unlocked the even harder difficulty and played it on that. Except i got to the point where on one roof you have a shootout encounter with a squad of enemies that, at that difficulty, are basically one-hit-kill. Now that would be fine if it was just you, but your two AI squadmates constantly decide to relocate to a different cover on their own for some reason and get killed, making it a mission failure. Because i couldnt babysit them to not get hit i eventually quit after trying it for the 50th time and failing on the same roof. Never came back to that game :(

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
I wanna quit The Evil Within's Akumu difficulty. It makes me hate the mechanics of the game more than ever before. I'm in that chapter where your partner has to open the doors while you fend off all the undead. I could probably do it if there were a checkpoint for the second section, the basement. It's just too much a hassle doing the first floor when the basement is even harder. I tell myself that I'm gonna use the flash bolts and freeze bolts in the basement, but everything happens too fast to think and strategize.

I hate that the camera zooms all the way to your forearm whenever you aim. It's dumb. It makes it much harder to see and makes no sense. Eyes don't zoom. I know some people think shitty mechanics are essential in creating tension, but I find that absurd.

I also hate having to run in circles around these guys with my ridiculously low stamina while they all are running at once. It's fucking retarded that the character completely stops moving when his stamina is out, after he's run for like three seconds. In other games, the character just moves slower or is no longer able to run.

I like a challenge, but Akumu is unbalanced.

Edit: Finished this part, finally. I killed myself twice shooting those stupid fire bolts, when I was almost done! I thought I had regular bolts equipped. Another time, I was almost done but could barely play because I couldn't stop shaking anxiously.
I played the game on normal and thought it was pretty hard, can't imagine it being any more difficult. Is it just a more health for them/less health for you kind of deal or does the game change in any other meaningful way?