Where are the articles?

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Pardon me if I'm out of the loop or something, but I always came here to get at least SOME news on what was going on in the gaming world. Yet in the last few weeks the news articles seem to have been vanishing until nothing is left but advertisements for deals. What happened to all the articles? Why haven't they been getting written anymore?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
The news articles can be found in the same place as the non-Yahtzee videos, the comics, the columns and the tech team.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Something happened with the writer

tippy2k2 said:
Saelune said:
Ron didnt get fired did he?
Ron (to my knowledge at least...) hasn't been let go. A personal event happened and he has been away from work because of it (and I don't know if he wants people to know what happened so I am not going to go into it) but it may be another week or two before he comes back.

(Before people make the joke, no, a child was not born)

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Gauche said:

tippy2k2 said:
Saelune said:
Ron (to my knowledge at least...) hasn't been let go. A personal event happened and he has been away from work because of it (and I don't know if he wants people to know what happened so I am not going to go into it) but it may be another week or two before he comes back.

I thought we still had three news writers? (you know, as well as Yahtzee)
Ron, Lizzy and, err... Stephen?
They haven't all gone have they?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
TrulyBritish said:
The last article was posted on August 15th by Ron Whitaker. I would tell you when the last article by someone else was posted, but having gone back over two months, there aren't any. I think "gone" would be a pretty good description of any pretence at being a news site. Not that there's a lot of non-news non-Yahtzee activity either, but at least the corpse occasionally twitches there; news seems to have been entirely abandoned.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
TrulyBritish said:
Gauche said:

tippy2k2 said:
Saelune said:

Steven Bogos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Steven+Bogos] hasn't been writing anything for the past few months, and Lizzy Finnegan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Lizzy%20Finnegan] was gone slightly earlier.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Bogos was let go a month or so after Marter/CM/EDA were cut. I actually had always assumed Lizzy was gone way before that but I don't recall for sure.

As Gauche quoted me above, Ron (ffronw) had a family emergency and has been gone for a few weeks. I do not know if he will be doing news once he comes back or if they're just going to stop but that is the extent of my knowledge. Ron is the only one that was still doing news (with articles popping up from others like Josh's new Switch Opinion piece that went up yesterday or so).

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Steven Bogos [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Steven+Bogos] hasn't been writing anything for the past few months, and Lizzy Finnegan [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Lizzy%20Finnegan] was gone slightly earlier.
Kahani said:
The last article was posted on August 15th by Ron Whitaker. I would tell you when the last article by someone else was posted, but having gone back over two months, there aren't any. I think "gone" would be a pretty good description of any pretence at being a news site. Not that there's a lot of non-news non-Yahtzee activity either, but at least the corpse occasionally twitches there; news seems to have been entirely abandoned.
Well consider me corrected, can't say either left any real positive impression on me except maybe Lizzy's Star Citizen article.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well its worth pointing out nothing worth talking about is happening. Bethesda is fucking up again, Warner Bros hates their customers, Nintendo is desperately hacking Mario with another IP to make it fresh, and Overwatch is gonna get a new character. Same shit as 6 months ago.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Well its worth pointing out nothing worth talking about is happening. Bethesda is fucking up again, Warner Bros hates their customers, Nintendo is desperately hacking Mario with another IP to make it fresh, and Overwatch is gonna get a new character. Same shit as 6 months ago.
How about the plot of Half-Life 3 getting leaked.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Nah, not worth paying attention to. A first draft of a 13 years too late game plot isn't news.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Nah, not worth paying attention to. A first draft of a 13 years too late game plot isn't news.
Tell that to every other videogame website that reported the news.
Go on. Set out on a Google adventure. I'll be waiting here by the 2009 repost and the shitty My Little Pony quiz.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Go on. Set out on a Google adventure. I'll be waiting here by the 2009 repost and the shitty My Little Pony quiz.
At least shit is happening in MLP. 2009 reposts I won't defend, except to say its at least more relevant to 2017 that Half Life is.

And the fact every bloggers and 'gaming critic' is jizzing themselves over HL3 just shows how little news there actually is. Hell steam releasing another FPS survival crafting game with Zombies with the word 'Dead' in the title is more news worthy that what one guy thinks an early version of an outdated and never going to be made game's plot might have been.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Silentpony said:
Someones been drinking out of the sass cup. :p

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RBarlow said:
Can someone send the link of the latest article?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170941-Sledgehammer-Details-Call-of-Duty-WW2-Private-Beta

This seems to be the 'most recent' article, ie not an ad for deals, or old videos.

Its from August 15th.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I always used to come here for general nerdy news announcements, and the ensuing community reaction in the comments. Then the Escapist started to lag with its coverage, and now it's gotten to the current state of affairs.

Is there any real transparency with regards to what the overlords want to do with this site? Is there any insight into the financial position/viability? Being part of the ever dwindling community, it feels like we should be kept informed of changes and viability. But as far as I can tell, there's bugger all.

It seems like the site's consciously allowing the oxygen to be removed that fueled the [communal] fire, i.e. news, features, reviews, etc, leading to fairly pitiful demise.

Oct 22, 2011
Silentpony said:
I'm sorry, but are you really arguing that we haven't seen any new articles lately because the crew is sitting on their asses, waiting for something interesting to happen?

And that Half-Life 3 blognote is the first really newsworthy thing that happened to that franchise in years.