Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Juri Han come to my mind.

There's Lord Domanitor.
Ok she isn't psychotic per say but I do find it weird how she can be so upbeat being a villain.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Aaand I'm back.

Doctor Who has a few. For Timelords, we have The Rani and The Master's recent incarnation as The Mistress. Also appearing, Queen Xanxia of The Pirate Planet fame and The Terrible Zodin. There are more plenty more. Doctor Who has equal-opportunity villainy going on.

Speaking of series started way-back-when, Servalan of Blake's 7, deserving of a video tribute to the tune of Killer Queen.

Beast Wars fans will recall Blackarachnia.

Reboot fans will NEVER forget Hexidecimal.

Speaking of Shadowrun, we can't forget Sarah Kyliseam, the Bug Shaman of the Universl Brotherhood.

Technically, we can't leave out APEX and the Firewing of Dragonfall either.

Miang from Xenogears is ALL women (potentially) in that game AND evil, so she over-qualifies.

Khazidhea

Oct 23, 2008
Apart from the Batman villains already mentioned (they all rate, though Talia al Ghul my personal top pick), Alice Morgan from Luther was the first to come to mind.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
From fantasy literature it's such an expansive series that it's hard to pick one but The Wheel of Time series has a huge variety of female villains.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
So not one mention of Kreia from Star Wars KOTOR II?

The most complex female character ever written who people's opinions range from the most well written and brilliant character, to full of herself, pretentious **** and Chris Avellone's voice box.
Oh, she was fantastic, the only thing keeping me from replaying hat game in general is the fact that it doesn't have an ending, and that drives me crazy as much as I love Obsidian. As for OT: I would say a certain character in one of the best games ever, Steambot Chronicles, AKA Bumpy Trot. I won't give it away but it was a good reveal.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
What kind of villain do you want? Women run the gamut in literature, and reality (like Irma Grese).

I mean there's basically every woman above 21 in Disney films.

Biko Daitokuji is a favorite anti-villain of mine who comes from Project A-ko. A spoiled super genius (who's father looks suspiciously like Tony Stark) that builds assorted robots, mechs, and power suits to try and defeat Eiko (Who's parents drop hints they're Superman, and Wonder Woman) and win the affection of Shiko in a weird love triangle. The trio team up for the greater good, but they still really don't like each other. I highly recommend the anime movie series. It's one of the few I went out of my way to get the boxed set for.

Scandal Savage, Knockout, Jeanette, Stryx (Sp?), Black Alice, and Porcelain (From Secret Six series)are not ones to call themselves heroes, and they're prone to do the right thing now, and then but are largely villainous mercenaries.
Among other DC Villains, Lady Vix, Catwoman, Superwoman, Cheetah, a long list of women in the yellow Lantern Corps, and Red Lantern Corps, Mogane Lefay(Sp?), Faora, Ursa, Nora Friez, Circe, Devastation, Lady Shiva, and so many others.

Personally, I like a villain we learn about, and can see traits beyond their acts. Redeemable qualities, and so forth. Harley Quinn's having a fantastic run.

There's Captain Phasma, though I'm kinda just guessing, here. Movie ain't out yet.

I've forgotten far more than I could ever hope to list. I wish I had the energy, and strength of mind to list them all. It'd probably be the longest post I've ever made. Can we narrow the field some?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
DoPo said:
Full Metal Alchemist the lady from the group of deadly sins. If I remember correctly, she was a different one in the first and Brotherhood - Lust in one and...Wrath in the other? At any rate - a villain.
She was Lust in both and she is an excellent villain in the 2003 series where she gets depth but is bland in Brotherhood/manga. Speaking of the 2003 series, the main villain is female and quite good as well.

A lot of other female villains have already been mentioned, but I don't see Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles on here, so I'll add that one.

EDIT: Oh, depending on how you view "villain", Audrey from A Scanner Darkly.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Probably not the sort of thing you were thinking of, but Snoop from The Wire was described by Stephen King as the scariest female villain.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Sarah Kerrigan/Infested Kerrigan/Queen of Blades. Not so much in StarCraft, but in Brood Wars. Also definitely not in StarCraft 2, but we'll not speak of that game. In StarCraft: Brood Wars, Kerrigan is in control, conscious of her actions, and she is mean! Kills poor Fenix just because. Ruthless, ambitious, and arguably evil, she's pretty awesome, at least as far a genocidal, alien-human hybrid psychics go.

Despite the fact that you play as the Zerg and that means you basically play as Kerrigan, she is still obviously the villain. You could also argue that Minsk is the villain as well, but he falls into irrelevance by the second act of Brood Wars, what with the UED showing up. So, I nominate Sarah Kerrigan as a good female villain.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012

Miang

Miang Hawwa (ミァン・ハッワー Mi~an Hawwā?) is the main antagonist and the mastermind behind all the events in the Xenogears' timeline. She appears repeatedly throughout the game's events in opposition to the party, both behind the scenes and in direct confrontations, Miang acts as representative of Deus, an intergalactic bioweapon designed to conduct warfare on a planetary scale.[3] The final moments of the Eldridge catastrophe resulted in the creation of the original 'mother' being, tasked by the Deus system to give birth to an entire civilization that would provide and gather all the biological and mechanical "spare parts" it needed to repair and reactivate. Hawwa is the Arabic name of Eve. Myyah (the official romanization according to Perfect Works) is almost the reverse of Elly's full name (Elhaym), with the omitted 'El' being Hebrew and meaning 'God', symbolizing how she is connected to but different from that character.

One of the few humans that Deus gave birth to, Miang's first incarnation was known as Hawwa, The Complement. Hawwa's purpose was to guide and shape the events of human history to better suit the coming resurrection of Deus. All human women descended from the crash of the Eldridge, all inhabiting the planet the game takes place on, possess the genetic factor necessary to become the next incarnation of Miang. When the current one dies, Miang simply awakens in a new body.[3] The target seems to be randomly selected, but she always inhabits the body of an adult female, and the momentary transformation always results in purple hair and eye color. The only notable superhuman abilities she possesses are the ability to retain memory across incarnations and some considerable psionic abilities, strong enough to cleanly "reprogram" someone's subconscious to perform a chosen task, though for the most part she prefers working in the shadows to manipulate world events. This is evidenced by her sparse participation in battles in a mostly supportive role, usually piloting her C-1 Vierge.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Not to be confused with Big Boss, The Boss was his mentor and a complicated character that is easily one of the best portrayals of a great female villain in video games.

Sep 13, 2009
Avatar (both TLA and Korra) had some good examples. Both Azula and Kuvira were strong villains. Oh, also the blood bender that d00mMarinEBG mentions.

I actually can't think of a single good one in video games though. I'm struggling to think of any from games. Uh, there was the sadist girl from the second Tales of Symphonia 2, I would consider it a stretch to call her good though...

Shadowrun: Hong Kong had one that was already mentioned. I felt like the fact that she really never made an appearance in the game weakers her claim to being a good one though.

Planescape Torment? You've got Ravel and the Lady of Pain. Unfortunately I haven't finished the game so I don't know much about the Lady of Pain. But Ravel? She's, at the very least, creepy as fuck

DoPo said:
Full Metal Alchemist the lady from the group of deadly sins. If I remember correctly, she was a different one in the first and Brotherhood - Lust in one and...Wrath in the other? At any rate - a villain.
You've already been corrected on her being Lust in both, but you're thinking about Pride/Wrath

Fuhrer Bradley was Pride in the original anime, and Wrath in the manga

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
CrimsonBlaze said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Not to be confused with Big Boss, The Boss was his mentor and a complicated character that is easily one of the best portrayals of a great female villain in video games.
She wasn't really a villain though...I think. I zoned out at the end but I'm pretty sure she was following orders still.

OT: Augistine, that ***** from inFamous Second Son. I hate authority so anyone like that gets under my skin right away. But she's a ruthless sadist. She grows concrete shards out from peoples bones. Sometimes for no reason, then never cures them.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I don't like referring to My Little Pony about most topics, but this seems like an exception: Starlight Glimmer. She's an interesting character, particularly as a female antagonist for many reasons:

-She's very powerful, but not for bullshit reasons - she worked her whole life to get strong, and her occasional tools and artifacts serve as supplements for her intellect and talent, rather than as the source of her abilities.
-She's malevolent and spiteful, but for sympathetic reasons - she's not simply explained away as simply being "evil" or even just "mean-spirited".
-Her motives are believable, her philosophy is not intrinsically bad, and her faith in a collectivist ideology as being ideal and peaceful is sincere (though she is aware her own hypocrisy runs contrary to it). There are examples of character interactions in the show that credit the merits of this, even if the ultimate moral is that they are not practical.

I'm by no means a brony, and will even go so far as to say that this show is intolerable most of the time, but I can't deny that it occasionally has brilliant writing and thematic elements. That being said, she's essentially Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear from Toy Story 3: a fluffy, purple-haired megalomaniac leader with abandonment issues who lie to their followers to create a utopia who then go to ludicris, self-defeating measures to exact revenge on those who exposed and overthrew them.

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Planescape Torment? You've got Ravel and the Lady of Pain. Unfortunately I haven't finished the game so I don't know much about the Lady of Pain. But Ravel? She's, at the very least, creepy as fuck
That's because no~one knows very much about the Lady of Pain, Sigil's enigmatic... something. No~one knows what race she is, or where she came from. Speculation seems to be that Sigil is either her domain, or her prison. She's more powerful than all the gods of all the Prime Material worlds -- at least enough that no deity can get into Sigil. She can maintain all kinds of portals to and from Sigil and the rest of the Multiverse -- seemingly changing their locations, destinations, and even opening and closing them at a whim. Those who cross her purposes -- and a cutter never knows what those purposes are -- might find themselves wandering for eternity in a dimensional maze, seemingly crafted out of a spatially-linked pseudo-Sigil, devoid of life. Or flayed to death, which is described as "feeling like thousands of knives form under your skin and explode outward in a blossom of blood." Worshipping her as a goddess will get you flayed. Standing in her way when she walks down the streets of Sigil will get you flayed. ~Looking at her~ will get you flayed -- though people who've seen her reflection describe her as having a face like a steel mask wreathed in blades.

She never speaks, but instead has a seemingly infinite amount of her personal minions, the Dabus, who speak for her in a 'language' of symbols appearing over their heads. They also perform Sigil's upkeep, including cleaning the streets, pruning the razorvine... Oh, and picking up houses, streets, and sometimes entire ~wards~ and just... putting them down somewhere else.

But perhaps the most villainous and insidious thing of all, is that TSR and Wizards of the Coast have never given her ~stats~. Without stats, she can never be involved in a combat encounter, and thus, can never be ~defeated~. So the Lady of Pain is a villain who ~always wins~.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Kuvira WAS a good villain until the final episodes where it ruined the character. Seriously it annoyed me to no end.

A few from anime:

I like Medusa from Soul Eater, an anime which I find mediocre at best.
Road Kamelot from D Gray Man
Ga-Rei-Zero, Yomi was pretty good villain.
More a gray character than an outright villain but Lady Eboshi from Mononoke Hime was great.
What was wrong with Kuvira towards the end?

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
Well, there is Shodan from what is only the best video game ever made in history, System Shock 2..

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/assorted-essays/the-girl-who-wanted-to-be-god/