Where did all the older Escapist users go?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Dango said:
Most of them have been banned, the ones that haven't tend to stick to forum games or user groups.
I make an effort to come into OT :p

On topic: We're around, we're just flirting with the staff not as hip as you new kids.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Redlin5 said:
I make an effort to come into OT :p

On topic: We're around, we're just flirting with the staff not as hip as you new kids.
That explains alot. o. o

OT: 'tis happens every year really. People get bored, get banned either via request or by Law, disappear into the RP Forums etc etc.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
90% of all statistics without sources are made up on the spot.

People are going to leave eventually.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
lobster1077 said:
Mr.Puns got banned a while back, the place just isn't the same any more.
Agreed. It's better now. :)

Really, I don't know why people act like that was unfair. The rules are clear about low content post, and he had seven chances to learn before being banned. If he couldn't figure out to put some actual content in his post after the pun by the time he hit his 8th warning, he deserved the boot. Plus, puns are awful, so I'm actually glad he didn't learn.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I joined ages ago but generally don't post that much, except for a month or 2 around big game releases

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
Anywhere but here.
Neonbob said:
I came here for ZP, signed up out of boredom, and got sucked into the forums.
While I have not posted anywhere near my first year's rate, I'm still around. Just not lately.
A mix of games and not having anything really worth saying in threads has kept me from posting for a while.

But a lot of older users either left of their own volition or got banned.
I haven't seen Ultrajoe, Labby, or a bunch of old guard in a long time.
But I'm sure they're both around.
Somewhere.
I refuse to let my guard down.
[sup]I still fear the bansmop[/sup]
:/
I'm quite sure I came here for the same reasons as you but I blame you for making me stay :p

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Well I'm right here... I consider myself to be an older member...<.<

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Labyrinth said:
megapenguinx said:
Yes, I'm quite annoyed that I'm not allowed to put the FEAR back into the hearts of users. I recall a time when the very mention of my name struck terror into the hearts of thousands.

Now my exploits seem forgotten, unrecognised for the glory that they were.
Between you and Joe, you kept us kids in line.

I had actually thought you'd left this place Tess.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
megapenguinx said:
I still weild the Bansword and Banmop. Not sure I could let them go. Besides, I've met some fucking awesome people here.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Labyrinth said:
megapenguinx said:
I still weild the Bansword and Banmop. Not sure I could let them go. Besides, I've met some fucking awesome people here.
Wait, when did you get a sword? 0_0

I know NewClassic occasionally drops by to leave a wall-o-text here and there.
I guess most of use are still here, we just like to lurk more than post these days.

Side Note: Holy carp how do some of you have over 30k posts?! I remember when 4k was excessive.

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
They took the freeway out of town. They found a place to settle down. They got a mower and a swing set and a dog. Their spouse got their very own bathroom. They got their very own workshop in the basement. And maybe if the spouse forgets to hide the keys, they'll take a ride to apple bees, come home drunk on daiquiris and throw up on the neighbor's lawn!

Wow I am so sorry for making you all read that portion of Jonathan Coulton's song "Shop Vac".

Anyway Like its been said, a lot of them got banned or moved on.

Personally I joined back in 09. I came here because I saw yahtzee's videos on youtube and thought it might be worth it to come here to watch his videos. I soon found out it was worth it to come here for many other reasons then that. And so the legend of Ryan the unnoticed forum lurker began.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
All forums have attrition.

The whole EC debacle probably lost a lot of people.

And I think a lot of people who joined around the same time I did following ZP here have gotten tired of it. There are only so many times you can listen to the same complaints about things being brown and gritty before it becomes hard to justify the amount of time and effort you're putting in, no matter how minimal.

Also, the general immaturity of the forums at certain times certainly does tend to grate more over time. Whenever a big release comes out, you can always count on half of the threads to be filled with pointless vitriolic fanhate. And for some series (CoD, Halo, etc.) this stuff is omnipresent, which is possibly even more tiring.

There's also the RL age issue. As people's accounts age, they're aging too. New members tend to be younger and the older members who are leaving are, of course, older, so the forum tends to stay relatively younger. For a lot of members, they come into the forum at an age where maturity can develop pretty quickly so even just a year or two can easily lead to no longer feeling like a part of a community that tends to have a lot of somewhat more juvenille interaction.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I just realized I've been on this site since 2008 and I haven't even Gone Gonzo.

I lurk too much :\

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I consider myself an older member. I am still around, although I am kind of sad I am not as infamous as some other member. Maybe that is a good thing.

Macgyvercas said:
Furburt, Hubilub and Demented Teddy all got banned, didn't they? And whatever happened to Snooty Englishman?
I was really hoping people didn't name names in this thread. Now I feel old.

Pimppeter2 said:
We're all too busy having orgies to post.
Why wasn't I invited?

Sacman said:
Well I'm right here... I consider myself to be an older member...<.<
Well, we are the minority now which is sad.

Hannibal942 said:
I just realized I've been on this site since 2008 and I haven't even Gone Gonzo.

I lurk too much :\
I hated it when I "went gonzo". I don't like that title and was sad that it is the one you have the longest.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I've not been posting for a while cause topics are getting very similar, I hate having to wade through "Your opinion is wrong" or "COD: Why all the Hate?" Threads we have these days... I just lurk around really because discussion is no-where near as good as it used to be. Assuming I count as an older escapist... I miss the laughs....

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
As an "older" escapist, I just don't really post anymore. After the 08'-09' major league left there is nothing really interesting in the forums here anyway.
also...
EFFIN BRONIES MAN