Where do YOU sell your stuff in Skyrim?

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
After you finish the thieves guild missions the trader there has loads of money and you get good prices so that's where I sell all my crap.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
If I'm ever low on cash I just do a few kills for the Dark Brotherhood, find a place with regular dragon attacks and kill the giants.
Damn my OHD! (Obsessive Hording Disorder)

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Want to make fast money? Join the thieves guild. Sure you steal from the poor as often as you do the wealthy but what good is honor when you're swimming in gold? On my current playthrough the fences have about 2,250 gold each.

An amulet of Zenithar gives you 10% better prices. Honestly you only need the first perk in the Haggle tree with this amulet, since they only boost prices by 5%.

Enchanting is also a great get rich quick method, especially when training smithing and you have the Banish enchantment.

I have around 150k gold with a metric ton of loot in a chest in solitude I'm still waiting to sell.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I sell to pretty much everyone I can, which is easy since I took that Speech perk that allows me to sell anything to anyone. I spend most of my time in Whiterun, though, and I do a lot of smithing, so the locals blacksmiths there tend to get the bulk of my business. Also, it helps to be wearing the Masque of Clavicus Vile and some barter price-improving jewelry (like the aforementioned Amulet of Zenithar, although I personally have something even better) in order to get more money out of each transaction. My character currently has over 100,000 gold, all of it either found, from selling loot and crafted items, or made doing honest work; no stealing. I'm really quite proud of it. Once I've got all the Enchanting perks I want, I'll probably start investing more in Speech perks in order to get even more money, because I'm a filthy hoarder like that, and I don't like the thought of ever having less than 100k again. :p

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Where ever is closest. I loot everything. Fuck the 300 weight limit, I just gather everything in a dungeon go outside transform into a werewolf and run to the nearest city and change back as close as I can get without being detected. Also the more you sell the better your speechcraft gets so even if that 1000 pounds of shit is well, shit it will raise your stats so your items that are worth something are worth more.

My question is what do you do with the money after you earned it? The only thing I bought was houses and some skill training. I get all my equipment from looting.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
King of the Sandbox said:
RubyT said:
King of the Sandbox said:
Or, instead of bland, more grounded in reality. I mean, why would a shopkeeper in a small 20 house town have thousands upon thousands of gold? That's just silly.
Sure, because after my Wood Elf escaped a dungeon crawl without bruises but 50 sets of looted armor, instant travels to the next town, puts on "his medallion of better prices" and approaches the merchant he had to shake down early, but who doesn't seem to remember, it's the unrealistic amount of money that merchant has, that's breaking the realism...

Also, you can get a perk that lets you sell anything anywhere, so that becomes a non-problem after a while.
It's not a *problem* now, what with the instant travel and all, it's just annoying. And I don't want to spend precious perk points on fixing something annoying.

And I've found some really great items in shops. Maybe you're just not looking in the right shops on the right days?
Perhaps. What have you found? I even had to steal some great Elven Boots of Sneaking. The merchant I stole them from did not sell them. Racism? He was a Dunmer after all...
lol, maybe you shouldn't be carrying back 50 sets of armor and you wouldn't be overburdened.

And sure, I'll cop to annoying before spending the perk point, but hey, that's why they're perks.

Also, I got an axe of soul stealing (which I really needed to power up my staffs) from the merchant in Whiterun (I think) and a medallion that adds 40 Health from the trading post in Riverwood.

Granted, super uber tiems don't show up very often in shops, but again, that helps with my immersion. I mean, how has this guy got an axe worth 3k, when he doesn't even carry more than 2k of gold on him? He seeing other adventurers behind my back? The bastard. I'll murderate him. I murderate his whole family.
he was saying how carrying 50 pieces on his back is unrealistic. Not all merchants are poor little people. Some people can afford to have epic axe of uber awesomeness smithed then sell it for 8000 gold. It also doesn't make sense that bandits have better shit that rich shopkeepers

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Three words: evil pays better.

If you suffer through the huge pain in the balls that is the final segment of the Thieves' Guild questline, you'll unlock several new fences and up the quartermaster's daily gold to 4k.

The smithing/enchantment tip above is also sound advice and if combined with the upgraded Thieves' Guild economy, it could yield game-breaking piles of cash in no time at all.

The conclusion of the DB questline also yields a pretty penny, and you could theoretically do it before even visiting Whiterun for the first time. Not sure if that'd be wise, but anyway...

kma2012

Feb 9, 2012
I have a question about weapons...I tend to horde weapons in these games because i "never know when i'll need them". Which weapons do I really NEED to keep..are there any that will come up at another point in the game I will need to use one for..for instance I have like 3 different staffs that I have gotten from defeating people..do I NEED those? Or dose it basically come down to personal choice??

Thanks

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
I completed the Thieves guild and did all the special jobs, so the fence there has about 3000gp to give away for my stuff, because i don't always care about how much I sell stuff for, I just care about being able to sell it without giving it away because they have no money

SB Ripping

May 25, 2012
Just make some gear that increaces speech and barter prices and name it your business suit.

Mar 9, 2010
I sell all my stuff to the fences around Skyrim. I finished the thieves quest line entirely, except for the Bareneziah stones, so I have 4000gp to every fence. I'm walking around with 54k in my pocket gathering anything valuable in the dungeons to sell to them so I can get even more money that I'll never spend.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
EHKOS said:
Yeah I hate how they gyp you at first. I'm hoarding all the dragon bones in case you can make a sword out of them later.

But here's something that will irk you for a while. Now that Skyrim is out...WHAT'S THE NEXT ONE GONNA BE?!
I am hoping Elswyr. I think dawnguard adds in dragon bone weapons so if you aren't playing on x-box then you will have to wait another month.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Belethor of course.
"Imperials, Stormcloaks, I don't care who's in charge, I just want to make money!"
That's a mentality I can get behind.
The way he's been ripping me off he should be the richest man in Skyrim by now. Other than me of course.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Here's my absolute best method for making money. All you need is Dwarven Smithing and a lot of extra room in your back. You see, I plunder lots of Dwemer ruins for the items you can smelt down. Then, I take the hundreds of dwarven metal ingots that I get and buy up all sorts of iron ingots from the blacksmiths that I cycle through - Solitude, Whiterun, and Windhelm - and use those iron ingots to make Dwarven bows, which sell for quite a decent amount at varying merchants between my cycle of cities.

Do you want to know how much money I have?

110k+

Fuck yeah.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Thieves Guild fences are the best to sell items for, especially if you've done enough missions to have multiple fences across Skyrim. Loot goodies off dungeons, enchant as many items as possible with the most valuable enchantment and start selling them to your fences. Each fence has about 3000 gold and will buy anything. I have an amulet that increases my speech craft, the jester suit, which increases both speech craft and bartering, and the mask of clavicus vile, which increases speech craft by twenty points. By doing this repeatedly, I've managed to acquire over 200,000 gold.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
kma2012 said:
I have a question about weapons...I tend to horde weapons in these games because i "never know when i'll need them". Which weapons do I really NEED to keep..are there any that will come up at another point in the game I will need to use one for..for instance I have like 3 different staffs that I have gotten from defeating people..do I NEED those? Or dose it basically come down to personal choice??

Thanks
You can usually tell what weapons are unique based on their names and appearance. As I can recall, there aren't actually many items that you won't find again through some form or other. If the weapons and staffs you have are the same in appearance as other weapons, but with just an enchantment, then you won't need to keep it. For example, a weapon like Staff of Banishing or Bow of Freezing is an ordinary weapon with an enchantment, which you can find again (or even make yourself by disenchanting them). A weapon like Blade of Woe or Kahvozein's Fang are unique, as you won't find another with a name like that or with its appearance. If the weapon is not named after its enchantment somehow, then it is not unique. Same with armour.

I think, in some cases, unique weapons will not allow you to disenchant them. If you try out some you're not sure of at an enchanting table and they can be disenchanted, likely they are not unique weapons. Save first though, or look them up, as this may not always be the case. I may just be guessing here.

Of course, you don't need to get rid of anything.

As for making money, since I'm now sitting comfortably on my 80k wealth (not including all of my hoardings), I find it a little odd people are struggling for money. Don't just grab anything to sell from dungeons - grab what you see is worth at least 100 Septims (usually potions are excellent here, most being from around the 200-500 range), and sell those to your preferred vendor. The lockpicking skill also has a perk that significantly increases the amount of money you can find in chests (from 100 to something more like 300 usually), and of course Speech can increase the amount of money you can haggle items for. When I first began, I never bought anything, as you can find anything on offer usually in the world, and any enchanted items are more powerful the higher your level is (as well as the items you can find and sell, making more money). Also, joining factions can offer you small jobs for a bit of cash (I know that the Thieves Guild offers more money for the more jobs you do, going from 200 to somewhere around 600). And of course, if you're inclined to break a few rules, stealing and selling to fences, as well as grabbing any coins you find and pickpocketing can quickly get you up there. For more honest labour, creating your own weapons, armour, jewelry, potions and enchanted items is another way to go.

Yep, that'll do it for you.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Dickhead NPCs with too much money, usually. Then I put buckets on their heads, steal it back and hide it in hidden chests all over the map. No-one will ever know!