Where do YOU sell your stuff in Skyrim?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
OMG ITS ANOTHER SKYRIM THREAD. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE ZOMG!!!
Just relax, and if this thread annoys you, no one is forcing you to stay :D

Now to my point:
All the vendors are assholes in this game...
"Hey, this gem I found has a value of 110g, what will you give me for it?"
'45g'
"Uhh... what? Can't I persuade you to give me a better deal?"
'nope'
*45 minutes of killing and re-loading saves later*
'here is your 45g, I HAVE THE BEST PRICES IN TOWN'
/wrists

So far, I have been selling my stuff in Dawnstar. Potions to the crazy potion lady, weapons and apparel to the blacksmith couple, and everything else to a Khajit outside of town that has a 500g daily cap (which is really irritating by the way...)
I have other concerns and questions about Skyrim, but this one is the one that bothers me the most. I am trying to figure out everything about this game for myself (I refuse to look online for help in a brand new single player game), but this just irks me to no end.
Even when I buy mats from these assholes, make shit, and sell it back to them, I am hardly making money >.>

Edit: I always called them A-tron-ach, but they are apparently Atro-nack...

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
well I usually don't care who I sell my stuff to. However if your just trying to make money, (I haven't tried this yet but...) can't you just cut wood and let the game run when you go to sleep? I don't think you need to actually press any buttons to cut wood, you just watch him/her do it, so why not let the game run while you sleep/school/job/life? Just a thought....

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
If the merchants bought stuff at full price how would they make any money?
Oh and you can take speech perks to get better prices btw, its not ideal i know... but i have about 30k gold and i havent even been doing that much other than exploring..i'd have more than double that if i could actually carry all the loot i came across. So really while it also makes sense in game wise, its also a way to balance the economy.

Oh and the merchants gold limits are very annoying =/.. but again you can take speech perks to improve that.

And as for the actual question, i sell my stuff wherever i can, i dont go to any particular place.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
In true Role Play fashion, the more you sell the better you'll be able to bargain on your next item. You can also level up your "Speech" skill if you don't want to grind out your way to the top. I sell my junk wherever there is gold to be found and I'm getting very good at it, too.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
i don't sell things very often since I'm a hoarder. You can make plenty of money by simply clearing out dungeons. I haven't tried doing any of the jobs yet.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
Oh and you can take speech perks to get better prices btw, its not ideal i know... but i have about 30k gold and i havent even been doing that much other than exploring..i'd have more than double that if i could actually carry all the loot i came across. So really while it also makes sense in game wise, its also a way to balance the economy.

Oh and the merchants gold limits are very annoying =/.. but again you can take speech perks to improve that.

And as for the actual question, i sell my stuff wherever i can, i dont go to any particular place.
30K...how...I don't even...not fair! I've been played this game for about ten hours (according to Steam) and I've barely managed to scrap enough gold for one, shitty residence!

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Giest4life said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

30K...how...I don't even...not fair! I've been played this game for about ten hours (according to Steam) and I've barely managed to scrap enough gold for one, shitty residence!
One word for fast money. Pickpocketing. I went from level 15 to level 77 pickpocketing in under an hour, just stealing everyones stuff, doubled my money (at the time) from 10k to 20k. The rest of my money is from looting/stealing everything from everyone..

Also dont fast travel unless you're literally travelling from one side of the other and dont have time to walk it, clearing places you come across is great money, and so is dragon killing, dragons usually drop good loot + 1-2k gold worth of bones/scales ontop of that.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:

Awesome. 30k is the equivalent of 3 million in Skyrim for the sheer difficulty of getting that much.

I've got 3k now... I'm close to buying my first house.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Giest4life said:
37 hours played and according to my little statistic list thingy, the most gold i've earned is 189.975.

The most carried on me is 65k.

However that is from literally running backwards and forwards a lot. I have a house in Whiterun and a house in Solitude both with chests full of crap. I sell what I can to all the vendors I can find until they run out of money then lob all thats left back in my chests.

Then I go questing and pick up more crap and try and sell a load more the next day.

So thanks to that I have earned a nice sum of gold but i've also got a load of chests full of crap.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I alway think theres a s in atronach, like astronach.

I sell all myself normally to the guys in white run, just because that's my hub of operations at the moment. I hate being encumbered so I loot on a price to weight basis. I've stopped taking weapons and armour because of how heavy they are. Being an Imperial (Imperial Luck ftw) I probably find more gold on average (haven't played as a non Imperial so I can't compare). I only seem to collect potions, magic stuff and gems. Whenever I clear out my inventory I always make a lot.

Mar 9, 2010
Torrasque said:
"Hey, this gem I found has a value of 110g, what will you give me for it?"
'45g'
Invest in speech if you want to increase that amount. As I understand it, bartering is completely governed by your speech skill and the perks in it. You raise it by selling stuff, like that gem, for a shit amount as much as you can until you actually start to get a decent amount for some good finds.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Octogunspunk said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

Awesome. 30k is the equivalent of 3 million in Skyrim for the sheer difficulty of getting that much.

I've got 3k now... I'm close to buying my first house.
The first 10k or so is the hardest, but by the time you've got enough money to get a house, you should've leveled up enough so that enemies/chests will start dropping good loots, after that money is much easier. Also joining the theives guild so you can fence your stolen wares is pretty good money too :)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
AugustFall said:
Get better at speech, it will increase your sales prices.
Yep. You're probably dumping all your perks into combat skills. It's a role playing game, though. You should be trying out some non-combat skills as well.

My top skills:
1. Archery
2. Sneak
3. Speech
4. Alchemy
5. Smithing

Alchemy and Smithing also are handy for money-making.
1. Go hunting and gathering
2. Make potions and armor with your new supplies
3. ???
4. Profit!!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Alright guys, heres a tried and trusted method since all of you seem to have problems with making money. This is a good one, besides of course looting dungeons.

Acquire a few enchanted items. They should fall into your hands. Got some you dont need? Alright.

Break into a smithy of your choice at night. The one in Solitude is good for this. Make sure to save beforehand in case you get caught. Then, loot the smithy for all the iron/silver/whatever bars he has lying around.

Proceed to smith whatever you can or feel like smithing, like iron daggers or something.

Next, acquire soul gems. There are a metric fuckton of them scattered around the world. You can steal a bunch from the College of Winterhold, which is also where you can buy a soul trap spell.

Then, in Winterhold, theres an enchantment table. Remember those magical items you had? Sacrifice them at the table to learn their effects. Enchant the iron daggers you made. Sell them for LOADS of money.

Sounds more complicated and time consuming than it actually is. Do this once a week, it goes pretty quickly. You can, of course, enchant anything else you have lying around.

I have 7000 gold, plus a few items I bought which cost me 10000 all in all, plus a house I bought for 5000 with full equipment which cost another 2000 or so. Half of that gold I made from the above method.
I've been enchanting everything I craft since petty soul gems are lol anyways. It adds quite a bit of gold and lvls my enchanting (which I really don't give a damn about)
I also just discovered something I find absolutely hilarious.
You know all those weapons that are everywhere? The ones you usually steal in Oblivion for some fence money? Well I have found a way to make them un-stolen.
1. Steal the weapon(s)
2. Bring the weapon(s) to one of the many dungeons that has bandits
3. Kill all the bandits
4. Loot all the weapons off of the bandits
5. Lay the stolen weapons near the bandits
6. Rez the bandits
7. Fight them. They will punch you for a little bit, then pick up a weapon
8. Kill the bandit, and loot the weapon.
Voila. The weapon is now magically un-stolen.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Yeah I hate how they gyp you at first. I'm hoarding all the dragon bones in case you can make a sword out of them later.

But here's something that will irk you for a while. Now that Skyrim is out...WHAT'S THE NEXT ONE GONNA BE?!

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Volf99 said:
well I usually don't care who I sell my stuff to. However if your just trying to make money, (I haven't tried this yet but...) can't you just cut wood and let the game run when you go to sleep? I don't think you need to actually press any buttons to cut wood, you just watch him/her do it, so why not let the game run while you sleep/school/job/life? Just a thought....
The chopping wood animation stops after some time to prevent that. I set my character to chop wood, took a shower, came back to find him standing there watching an NPC chop wood.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SomeLameStuff said:
Volf99 said:
The chopping wood animation stops after some time to prevent that. I set my character to chop wood, took a shower, came back to find him standing there watching an NPC chop wood.
well another thing you could do is set the character to chop wood, and switch your tv (assuming its on console) to some tv show. Then just periodically check to make sure the character is chopping wood. Or just have your character facing the wood stump and while your watching tv, periodically press the action button so that the character is chopping wood. Have you tried that?