Where do YOU sell your stuff in Skyrim?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
I usually just get loot from adventuring. Clearing out dungeons usually nets me a couple thousand.

I sell most of my stuff in Whiterun and Riverwood. I've been playing for over 24 hours and I've still yet to feel bored of these places. Whiterun is quickly becoming my 'hometown'.

As for where exactly I sell things? Why, anywhere, of course! I'm a pretty baws merchant. (Got the perk that lets me sell anything anywhere.)

Right now, I'm sitting on about 50k with another 7k (approx.) of loot in my house.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
By now i can extract close to full price from item. i have pendant +15% and Daedric helmet +20% better prices buy\sell + perks in speech so i almost have 25000 to buy fancy house in Solitude.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Volf99 said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Volf99 said:
well I usually don't care who I sell my stuff to. However if your just trying to make money, (I haven't tried this yet but...) can't you just cut wood and let the game run when you go to sleep? I don't think you need to actually press any buttons to cut wood, you just watch him/her do it, so why not let the game run while you sleep/school/job/life? Just a thought....
The chopping wood animation stops after some time to prevent that. I set my character to chop wood, took a shower, came back to find him standing there watching an NPC chop wood.
well another thing you could do is set the character to chop wood, and switch your tv (assuming its on console) to some tv show. Then just periodically check to make sure the character is chopping wood. Or just have your character facing the wood stump and while your watching tv, periodically press the action button so that the character is chopping wood. Have you tried that?
Firewood is pretty heavy, and you'd be loaded down past your weight allowance in no time. Although, I haven't tested the encumbrance maxes yet, beyond when it starts slowing you down.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Giest4life said:
30K...how...I don't even...not fair! I've been played this game for about ten hours (according to Steam) and I've barely managed to scrap enough gold for one, shitty residence!
37 hours played and according to my little statistic list thingy, the most gold i've earned is 189.975.

The most carried on me is 65k.

However that is from literally running backwards and forwards a lot. I have a house in Whiterun and a house in Solitude both with chests full of crap. I sell what I can to all the vendors I can find until they run out of money then lob all that's left back in my chests.

Then I go questing and pick up more crap and try and sell a load more the next day.

So thanks to that I have earned a nice sum of gold but I've also got a load of chests full of crap.
wait, you can get a house in Solitude??!! HOW? Does every major city/town allow you to get a house? I would love a house in the freezing snow environment!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Volf99 said:
SomeLameStuff said:
Volf99 said:
well I usually don't care who I sell my stuff to. However if your just trying to make money, (I haven't tried this yet but...) can't you just cut wood and let the game run when you go to sleep? I don't think you need to actually press any buttons to cut wood, you just watch him/her do it, so why not let the game run while you sleep/school/job/life? Just a thought....
The chopping wood animation stops after some time to prevent that. I set my character to chop wood, took a shower, came back to find him standing there watching an NPC chop wood.
well another thing you could do is set the character to chop wood, and switch your tv (assuming its on console) to some tv show. Then just periodically check to make sure the character is chopping wood. Or just have your character facing the wood stump and while your watching tv, periodically press the action button so that the character is chopping wood. Have you tried that?
I haven't tried chopping wood yet, but I imagine its the same thing as mining.
You hit the node/tree 9 times and usually get loot 2/3 times.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I'm sitting at about 15k and that's entirely through penny pinching and being self sufficient, all my equipment has come from raiding Dwarven ruins, taking all the metal and smelting it into armour and weapons. All the extra loot just gets sold and any extra bars I have after I've got my fully upgraded set just gets smithed into chestplates, it does wonders for my cash pile and my smithing skill.

Not so much for my encumbrance limit though.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I don't have much of a problem with it. I like the system. I got a necklace that gives me +20 speech when bartering and 2 perks in speech that give me a 40% bonus I think... not sure. But I get 60% of whatever the value is at level 17. I have more more money than I know what to do with. I own a horse, a house (fully upgraded), dwarven armor (Superior) suit, etc. and still have 3 grand on me. Hell, I just gave an NPC 2000 gold with no clue if I will get that investment back, nor do I care. Every dungeon = ~2000 gold for me at this point.

Hunt/buy hides, make leather, leather armor = good money.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Volf99 said:
wait, you can get a house in Solitude??!! HOW? Does every major city/town allow you to get a house? I would love a house in the freezing snow environment!
You most certainly can, and from what i've seen you can indeed get a house in every major city.

I'll spoiler it just incase people want to find out for themselves.

Go to Solitude and go to the main castle, the Blue Palace, and speak to the Jarl and her 2 advisers.

You will get a few quests to do.

Once done, speak to the Jarl again and she will talk to you about becoming Thane of Solitude you just need to help 5 or her *subjects* (which should have been covered with the previous quests) and buy the house (and it is a really nice house ... with 2 mannequins and 2 weapon racks).

And you get a Houscarl, Jordis the Sword-Maiden, who is one of the many marriage options as well.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, the economy is f*cked up, like in many RPGs.

First, you have that dreaded limited inventory, that leads to a lot of micro-management, because I always play the coin-per-point game to decide what to drop.

Second, not every merchant buys everything. And often they have little coin themselves. So I end up instant travelling to a couple of them.

Third, stolen items. How do they know? The only fence I've found so far is the one on the Thieves Guild. She only has a thousand gold every other day. What's the point of being a thief in this environment?

Fourth, nothing to buy anyway. Skyrim is the RPG where I have the least fun looking through merchants' offerings, simply because they NEVER have anthing better than what I have.

Seriously, the two things I use up regularly - lockpicks and health potions - are found in abundance. I'm wearing the Thieves Guild armor, which I got for free early on and it's the best Light Armor. I'm dual wielding Dwarven maces that I bought for about 500 gold.
The rest of the money I invested in training. That costs a lot, but I think it's worth it, because while lock-picking and pick-pocketing level up like crazy, light armor seems almost impossible to level up without a trainer. And they do get VERY expensive very fast.

I remember days of role-play gaming, where you'd see an awesome item at a merchant and it was sooo expensive, so you started saving up and even after weeks (ingame) of dungeon crawling and leveling up, that item was still amazing because you didn't find hundreds of better ones during these crawls.

But that didn't mean that the loot during the crawls was bad. NO, in every dungeon you'd find some special sword or some special armor.

I really think the item system and economy in Skyrim is bland.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
RubyT said:
Yeah, the economy is f*cked up, like in many RPGs.

First, you have that dreaded limited inventory, that leads to a lot of micro-management, because I always play the coin-per-point game to decide what to drop.

Second, not every merchant buys everything. And often they have little coin themselves. So I end up instant travelling to a couple of them.

Third, stolen items. How do they know? The only fence I've found so far is the one on the Thieves Guild. She only has a thousand gold every other day. What's the point of being a thief in this environment?

Fourth, nothing to buy anyway. Skyrim is the RPG where I have the least fun looking through merchants' offerings, simply because they NEVER have anthing better than what I have.

Seriously, the two things I use up regularly - lockpicks and health potions - are found in abundance. I'm wearing the Thieves Guild armor, which I got for free early on and it's the best Light Armor. I'm dual wielding Dwarven maces that I bought for about 500 gold.
The rest of the money I invested in training. That costs a lot, but I think it's worth it, because while lock-picking and pick-pocketing level up like crazy, light armor seems almost impossible to level up without a trainer. And they do get VERY expensive very fast.

I remember days of role-play gaming, where you'd see an awesome item at a merchant and it was sooo expensive, so you started saving up and even after weeks (ingame) of dungeon crawling and leveling up, that item was still amazing because you didn't find hundreds of better ones during these crawls.

But that didn't mean that the loot during the crawls was bad. NO, in every dungeon you'd find some special sword or some special armor.

I really think the item system and economy in Skyrim is bland.
Or, instead of bland, more grounded in reality. I mean, why would a shopkeeper in a small 20 house town have thousands upon thousands of gold? That's just silly.

Also, you can get a perk that lets you sell anything anywhere, so that becomes a non-problem after a while.

And I've found some really great items in shops. Maybe you're just not looking in the right shops on the right days?

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
King of the Sandbox said:
Or, instead of bland, more grounded in reality. I mean, why would a shopkeeper in a small 20 house town have thousands upon thousands of gold? That's just silly.
Sure, because after my Wood Elf went on a deadly dungeon crawl with Sven, a guy he knew for about 4 minutes but who came along anyway, escaped without bruises but 50 sets of looted armor, instant travels to the next town, puts on "his medallion of better prices" and approaches the merchant he had to shake down early, but who doesn't seem to remember, it's the unrealistic amount of money that merchant has, that's breaking the realism...

Also, you can get a perk that lets you sell anything anywhere, so that becomes a non-problem after a while.
It's not a *problem* now, what with the instant travel and all, it's just annoying. And I don't want to spend precious perk points on fixing something annoying.

And I've found some really great items in shops. Maybe you're just not looking in the right shops on the right days?
Perhaps. What have you found? I even had to steal some great Elven Boots of Sneaking. The merchant I stole them from did not sell them. Racism? He was a Dunmer after all...

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
RubyT said:
Sure, because after my Wood Elf escaped a dungeon crawl without bruises but 50 sets of looted armor, instant travels to the next town, puts on "his medallion of better prices" and approaches the merchant he had to shake down early, but who doesn't seem to remember, it's the unrealistic amount of money that merchant has, that's breaking the realism...

It's not a *problem* now, what with the instant travel and all, it's just annoying. And I don't want to spend precious perk points on fixing something annoying.

Perhaps. What have you found? I even had to steal some great Elven Boots of Sneaking. The merchant I stole them from did not sell them. Racism? He was a Dunmer after all...
lol, maybe you shouldn't be carrying back 50 sets of armor and you wouldn't be overburdened.

And sure, I'll cop to annoying before spending the perk point, but hey, that's why they're perks.

Also, I got an axe of soul stealing (which I really needed to power up my staffs) from the merchant in Whiterun (I think) and a medallion that adds 40 Health from the trading post in Riverwood.

Granted, super uber tiems don't show up very often in shops, but again, that helps with my immersion. I mean, how has this guy got an axe worth 3k, when he doesn't even carry more than 2k of gold on him? He seeing other adventurers behind my back? The bastard. I'll murderate him. I murderate his whole family.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I usually just get loot from adventuring. Clearing out dungeons usually nets me a couple thousand.

I sell most of my stuff in Whiterun and Riverwood. I've been playing for over 24 hours and I've still yet to feel bored of these places. Whiterun is quickly becoming my 'hometown'.

As for where exactly I sell things? Why, anywhere, of course! I'm a pretty baws merchant. (Got the perk that lets me sell anything anywhere.)

Right now, I'm sitting on about 50k with another 7k (approx.) of loot in my house.

Sames as king. White run and riverwood. Me and the riverwood trader are bros. Although i am planning to steal that claw back off him! :D

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Granted, super uber tiems don't show up very often in shops, but again, that helps with my immersion. I mean, how has this guy got an axe worth 3k, when he doesn't even carry more than 2k of gold on him? He seeing other adventurers behind my back? The bastard. I'll murderate him. I murderate his whole family.
Okay, it would be odd if that Riverun trader had super items.

But I really expected the Skyforge smith to be regularly blowing my mind with some Dagger of Awesomeness or something.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
this isnt precisely on topic, but its close enough to not be spam.

Does anyone know any vendors who sell a flawless ruby? i need it to summon peryite. i've been trying to find one for a while now and any input will hopefully expedite the process.

OT: i mostly sell my stuff in whiterun. blacksmiths right in the front, trader is up a staricase from there. its very quick.

Wolvaroo

Jan 1, 2008
Oh, wow. I almost pity you guys. After the first few hours I've never run out of gold. I can afford to literally buy an entire town out of ingredients, ingots, health potions, lock picks, and any other consumable I can use to train a skill or is just generally useful every time I visit.

Although this comes at great cost. I am a compulsive loot-whore and spend about 70% of my playtime walking towards the nearest merchant while severely over encumbered.

But I have level 100 alchemy, smithing, speech, and enchanting. So I have a full set of legendary double enchanted dragonplate and deadric warhammer. But my Weapon and armour skills are only around 40, so I still have a lot of trouble with the tougher level-scaled enemies...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Torrasque said:
OMG ITS ANOTHER SKYRIM THREAD. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE ZOMG!!!
Just relax, and if this thread annoys you, no one is forcing you to stay :D

Now to my point:
All the vendors are assholes in this game...
"Hey, this gem I found has a value of 110g, what will you give me for it?"
'45g'
"Uhh... what? Can't I persuade you to give me a better deal?"
'nope'
*45 minutes of killing and re-loading saves later*
'here is your 45g, I HAVE THE BEST PRICES IN TOWN'
/wrists

So far, I have been selling my stuff in Dawnstar. Potions to the crazy potion lady, weapons and apparel to the blacksmith couple, and everything else to a Khajit outside of town that has a 500g daily cap (which is really irritating by the way...)
I have other concerns and questions about Skyrim, but this one is the one that bothers me the most. I am trying to figure out everything about this game for myself (I refuse to look online for help in a brand new single player game), but this just irks me to no end.
Even when I buy mats from these assholes, make shit, and sell it back to them, I am hardly making money >.>

Edit: I always called them A-tron-ach, but they are apparently Atro-nack...
Like a lot of games you need to build up the right skills to buy and sell items at anything close to their full value. In the case of Skyrim it's the "speech" skill and it's connected talents.

The value of the item listed to you is it's max value, you'll never get more than that from a merchant, not the value your currently going to get for it.

It's also noteworthy that simply building yp your buy/sell isn't enough, as vendors have a limited amount of gold with which to buy stuff from you. To get around this you need to get the speech skills that allow you to invest in shops to raise the maximum gold of the vendors so they will have more gold on later visits with which to buy your stuff.

Kyle Jenkins

Mar 16, 2011
I always sell my shit to the guy in white-run's castle that sells all the Magic Gear (Honestly can't remember the name) Because of the way I make easy cash.

Here's how I do it.
I buy rings or other jewellery (Not headgear) from a shop for about 400 for a good one,
Then I buy Grand Soul Gems from the guy at the castle for about 500,
I enchant the Jewellery with "Fortify Sneak" (It only gives me about 15 Points)
I sell it back to the poor fool for 2500 or so, leaving with about a 1600 coin profit each time.
Then, I repeat.

(To get a fortify sneak enchantment, I just found a ring in a shop and dis-enchanted it)

Of course, I have Cicero's Clothes which amplifies my speech by 20, as well as the Thieves guild Hood which gives an additional 15, and finally an Amulet of Zenithar for another 10.

With those items and the method I use, I can sell my shit for heaps of money, and advance both my enchanting and speech skills in the process.

Enjoy your money!

Also, when he runs out of money, Wait a couple of days for him to get more. Not just 48 Hours because he gets a tiny amount of cash each time.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I just wait until me and my companion's inventories are full to bursting. Then I find a merchant that'll buy everything. I sell until the merchant doesn't have any money left. I wait 48 in-game hours (the merchant will have money again by then). I go back to the merchant and sell... rinse and repeat. I've got about 40k gold now.