Where Have All the Cheats Gone?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I'd still use them for the Starcraft campaign if it'd unlock the videos.

I don't know if achievements really ruined cheating. I think it went more like:

-Games were too hard for the majority to beat without cheats
-Games got [much] easier so everyone could beat them
-Games were so easy to beat that achievements were added to artificially enhance difficulty

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
If I actually end up working in the industry, I'll make sure to include a system where when a cheat code is activated you're given a separate set of achievements that can only be completed using the cheats :D Cheats active, cheat achievements. cheats inactive, regular achievements. Everyone is happy!

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
Every developer should add options for cheating in their game. Be it via the console or something else.

Take a look at StarCraft 2, not only did Blizzard add interesting achievements beyond completing a level. They also made sure that a console was available for everyone who wanted to cheat. And the best thing is that using a cheat in the console disabled achievements in a very nice way.

I enjoy cheating once I have beaten a game. And if the developers don't provide me with the option. Well, then I can always find a trainer at cheathappens.

If developers want to make sure that achievements continue to have any value at all. Then they should do as Blizzard did and make cheating even more accessible for single player modes.

As a last note. Cheating should only ever be done in single player, lan parties (no, not the competetive ones) or at other controlled environments.

P.S. Even games such as Dead Island should have an option to create more than one character. Specifically one for VAC enabled games, and one without it (oh and do try and change how it works, as people are constantly using money cheats and going online with those characters)

Deadlyveggie

Apr 14, 2011
I remember my first 2 hours of San Andreas.

Went as fast as possible.
As high as possible.
In any possible direction space allowed.
Flew a car faster than a plane.
Flew a fucking Airliner into a city.

Yeah, cheats enriched gaming. I can't think of a logical reason they;d be gone... Who is it costing to have them!?

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
^
Yeah and prevent us from modding the games aswell. For we all know that restrictions provide a more entertaining game.

People create and use mods for the very same reasons that alot of people use cheats. To alter the gameplay in specefic ways. Most people know how to properly use a developer console, even the ones that haven't been optimized for the use beyond developer testing.

If a game is too hard, turn down the difficulty. If it is still too hard, dont play it.
If a game is not fun for you dont play it.
If you can do something no one else can do, congrats. If someone else can do something you cant do (with or without cheating) GET USED TO IT.
1) The difficulty isn't the problem, it's the restrictions of the gameplay.
2) And what if I was playing Fallout New Vegas, and wanted to see some lines of dialogue at which I needed specefic perks/stats. Who in their right mind would start a new game and play through several hours to get to that point.
3)Which means a whole lot in a single player game....

Come to think of it. Are you by chance thinking of multiplayer games. Because if you aren't, then you need to lighten up. It seems to me as if you're upset about people getting achievements while their cheating.
I'm sure that if you think long enough about it, you'll eventually stumble upon the solution. I'll give you a hint.. it's been stated several times already.

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
I think this is what summarizes what I have been feeling in one of the best ways I can think of.

When I was young, one of the first things I would do when I got a new video game was check online for what cheat codes it has (to be fair, my idea of young is 2005, when I was 8). When I checked cheats for Most Wanted, I decided to see the Xbox 360 section and noticed these things called "Achievements". I dismissed them, thinking it was simply a special feature of the game.

Nowadays, Achievements and Trophies have now taken over the entire landscape, and have left the former tools of ultra fun in ashes. What used to be a great school activity, now is just a way for developers to almost taunt you. Even if the PC market still has trainers, it doesn't have the same vibe as being rewarded well for remembering a button combination and receiving the video game god's hand.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Games are so easy nowadays there are no need for cheats anymore :p

EDIT: Cheat all you want as far as i'm concerned but never try to tell me your better than me afterwards. When you cheat nowadays you lose your ability to gain achievements so i know if your chatting shit or actually worthy of your boasts. They should add a 0 point achievement for anyone who cheats on a game so it's there in black and white for all to see...your true worth lol

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Sofus said:
If a game is too hard, turn down the difficulty. If it is still too hard, dont play it.
If you can do something no one else can do, congrats. If someone else can do something you cant do (with or without cheating) GET USED TO IT.
2) And what if I was playing Fallout New Vegas, and wanted to see some lines of dialogue at which I needed specefic perks/stats. Who in their right mind would start a new game and play through several hours to get to that point.
1) It's the restrictions in gameplay that make a game difficult or easy, remove those restrictions and you remove the challenge.
2) If you can't be arsed earning the right to those parts of the game then you don't deserve to enjoy them. I can be arsed and skipping the effort cheapens the experience for those of us who actually play the game properly.
3) If you can do something someone else can't do then you can feel good about yourself for being better than them. It means just as much in single player as in multiplayer, haven't you ever seen a game vid posted by a proud and boastfull master of it? Something to aspire to?

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Deadlyveggie said:
I remember my first 2 hours of San Andreas.

Went as fast as possible.
As high as possible.
In any possible direction space allowed.
Flew a car faster than a plane.
Flew a fucking Airliner into a city.

Yeah, cheats enriched gaming. I can't think of a logical reason they;d be gone... Who is it costing to have them!?
If you bothered to play the game long enough you don't need to cheat for some of those things you mention :p

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
You probably didn't need 3 pages to say that. I actually skipped the end of the first page, the whole of the second page and most of the third page because you were taking to long to get to the point. The writing in escapist articles has been severely lacking recently.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
CannibalCorpses said:
Sofus said:
1) It's the restrictions in gameplay that make a game difficult or easy, remove those restrictions and you remove the challenge.
2) If you can't be arsed earning the right to those parts of the game then you don't deserve to enjoy them. I can be arsed and skipping the effort cheapens the experience for those of us who actually play the game properly.
3) If you can do something someone else can't do then you can feel good about yourself for being better than them. It means just as much in single player as in multiplayer, haven't you ever seen a game vid posted by a proud and boastfull master of it? Something to aspire to?
1) I agree that a games restrictions affect the difficulty of the gameplay. But when you have already beaten the game and get bored of the current gameplay, mods and even cheats can alter the gameplay enough to extend the lifespan of a single player game.
2) Earning the right? that term can hardly be justified outside of online gaming.
3) That depends on the game. Lets take Minecraft for example. I have often searched for videos regarding what people have built, and am often in awe. That said, I see no reason why someone would feel good about completing Fallout 3 / NV a certain way, as it's designed to be completed.

I play video games to have fun. That sometimes involves resurrecting an npc in Fallout who I did not want to die. It could be to skip unwanted progression in a game that I have already completed, or it could simply be that I wanted to alter a gameplay which I have become bored of.

I do not make nor watch "Let's play" or any other such type of videos. I simply don't care what other people do with their game aslong as it doesn't affect me. I would ofcourse be offended if people cheated in multiplayer or co-op games, but when all it affects is themselves, then I see no reason why anyone would have a problem with it.

Aslong as developers make sure to disable the ability to get achievements when a cheat is activated, then I see no reason why anyone would think that cheats shouldn't be usable in a single player game.

Do everyone a favoure and ask yourself why it matters to you.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jarimir said:
...If any of this rubs you the wrong way it's likely because everyting you have in your life has been handed to you with little or no question all the while people around you have been telling you how awesome you are.
100% wrong. Please stop posting such nonsense that you have no way of proving.
Or are there any other sweeping fallacies you would like to share with us today?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Cheats were a side effect of porting games from arcade to console/PC. Game companies knew if the game was to easy, they couldn't maximize the profit if people were playing longer games and not feeding quarters into the machines. So when these game were brought from the arcades into the homes the difficulty level was was kept the same, but the game didn't cost a quarter anymore. People wanted to play longer without starting over. Cheating codes stayed for awhile, but became outdated, the games were easier, longer, and were replaced by better features.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Ahhh...Game Shark. It turned shitty games into pure fun. God, I miss this in gaming. I would happily give up achievements for this option.

Gabriel Dragulia

Jun 1, 2011
ViciousTide said:
Hell, I don't even get through the single campaigns anymore unless i am on easy. I have more things to do with my time, that is why i love one or two cheats. Even a simple money glitch in Oblivion will help you out greatly to get through the entire game and still have a wonderful experience. Easier to do on the PC than Console of course.

On the console, I bought the Frost Spire. The Flame Atronaught that you get to follow you, got lost falling into a pit in one of the dungeons, and is lost forever. I can't resummon him at all because he is still alive! This is why i don't buy DLC anymore on the consoles, that and the DLC takes up Overly Expensive HDD space. I get the PC version for cheap thru steam sales and then mod to my hearts content. The only reason i prefered Consoles for the longest time was they are dedicated to gaming and are automated to that purpose, plus you could lay on the couch or floor without the need of a keyboard or mouse. Now after saving a lot of money, I have my PC to a 55" with a wireless controller. I still miss they automation though!! I don't want to have to double click on anything!
You know, I had fun with the frost spire.. mostly actually not because of the frost spire.
The Glitch where you could be in the spire, delete the DLC, and suddenly spawn, floating in pitch black next to the inside of a house. you move towards the house REEEAALLY slowly, eventually you get in, go outside, grab the mace of doom or whatever. go inside another house, grab the core, which would spawn ALL the cores in your backpack. You were encumbered, you couldn't move... and the cores just kept on spawning inside your backpack... I loved that glitch.

see, those are good times... I did play oblivion through, without cheats... mostly... (money glitch ftw xD) but yeah... I had fun! even with problems/cheats and whatever...