Where have all the Escapists gone?

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Viral_Lola said:
brandon237 said:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

So please Escapists, tell me where you are, what happened? It is just tragic :(
The new layout scared and confused me. *looks like a deer in headlights*
I know how that feels, and with all this white (which you can tone down by about 0.002%[footnote]I apologise if I have exaggerated here, 0.002% implies that this option is far more useful than it really is at the moment[/footnote] if you go for the darkest background option) you really can be caught in the headlights! If anyone was using a CRT screen for this the first time they saw the new design, their heads would have exploded.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
There aren't many topics on the forums to which I feel the need to reply. Just not a lot of stuff there that interests me.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
brandon237 said:
Viral_Lola said:
brandon237 said:
For a good while now, I have been avoiding the Escapist for all but my weekly (over)dose of Zero Punctuation. The fact that I just couldn't be bothered to reply to the people who I knew would never listen and the horrible newer design (which to my dismay was never changed back), coupled with a few staff issues at the time that just made me feel unhappy to be involved with the site at all made me all but leave it completely. However, the internet has a way with such things, so one bored day (the day before yesterday) I came back and started posting a bit more regularly again...

That was when it hit me. The place is empty. There are far fewer new topics that I have seen, few topics getting many replies, and almost every avatar (despite most of them being new from when I was here last) I have seen crop up at least twice. Where did everyone go? I still see some of the nice entertaining regulars like Jedamethis and Amnestic, but overall... just one big drop.

I know how that feels, and with all this white (which you can tone down by about 0.002%[footnote]I apologise if I have exaggerated here, 0.002% implies that this option is far more useful than it really is at the moment[/footnote] if you go for the darkest background option) you really can be caught in the headlights! If anyone was using a CRT screen for this the first time they saw the new design, their heads would have exploded.
I have missed you guys though.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Viral_Lola said:
brandon237 said:
Viral_Lola said:
brandon237 said:

I have missed you guys though.
I am not sure who else has returned (my break off was pretty longish I guess, so people have come and gone and come again (Oh snap, more innuendo from, so surprising (and there I go with the sarcasm, I should keep a tally of these things...))) but I can say that it is, at the very least, interesting to be back :D

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I wouldn't exactly call myself a regular or a very recognizable name, not like some of the avatars I recognize, but I try to drop into the forums at least once a week, at least to lurk a bit. Haven't been too active lately due to my schedule so I guess I haven't noticed the lack of forum activity.

I wish I had more time to drop in and visit though. I've had some good discussions with people here over my time as an Escapist. I'll have to try to become more active.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Demon ID said:
Fuck me they are all there, Cuthbert, Sassa, pararaptor etc. I just assumed they where all culled at some point and ceased to exist.

I see what you mean about it not working, for some reason I don't want to sign up :/

I like to think they occasionally have a look see, just to see whats happening and if the place got any better.
We've been watching for a while now. Waiting for the moment to raise up and take over the website in the name of Leprechauns all over the world.

We are one.
We are many.
We are Leprechauns.

...*Ahem* >_>
Anyway, yeah, we've keep checking back to see what's going on. Have been for a while, actually. :)

ryanxm

Jan 19, 2009
Well, I for one, have never left, or felt any discomfort here. I feel I could tell these people about the martian murders I've preformed. Normally when someone says "I killed an alien" you think they live in Texas or Nevada.

Apr 29, 2010
Regnes said:
It would seem that they've...escaped.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fact that you have a Calvin and Hobbes avatar saves you from that painful joke. Anyways, I've just been busy with school, but I don't see myself permanently leaving this site.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Life happened for me. :D

But as for other members, dunno. Depends who you're taking about really, I see the people I consider to be regulars all the time.
sky14kemea said:
It depends which people you're talking about? We all know different people on this forum. xD
It's definitely seemed lately that most pre 2009 forum goers have vanished, which is quite depressing. For some reason I always get happy when I see someone who is 2009 or older.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm still here guys!

(Have I already commented on this thread? I can't seem to remember...)

I seem to be of the minority who thinks the site just keeps getting better and better. Feel free to hate me, I don't mind, you tears fuel my mighty Armageddon Machine.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
I noticed a decline in quality of threads and consistent members cropping up, but then I never dug the forums on this place a whole lot. I love the (slightly) more mature and integrated community, but I never liked the elitism nor repetitiveness/inanity of it.

Ergo, I lurk. I've been here for a while and barely have any posts.

AlphaMandate

Feb 13, 2012
Well, not sure if i can be called a regular, I've been here since '09 until my old account kinda died (not sure what happened) but i only had somewhere around 40 posts in 3 years... But I'm still here, watching you... judging you... waiting.. planing....

Dec 14, 2009
metsplayer1 said:
You know, you're actually correct. Every day I'll see the same thread over and over in the latest posts box. The only real original things are Daystar Clarion's posts about British food. Every now and then though, a gem will pop up.
Spider senses, tingling!

Thank you, sir, I'm glad my whimsical threads brighten your day enough for you to remember them :D

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
We're here! We're queer!~

Wait, that's not it...

Anyways, we ARE here... or at least i am... I check in daily and usually forum-forage for a while. I have noticed the distinct lack of original threads lately though... I'd make some but... frankly, I'm always afraid mine will be stupid!

...mostly because they usually are...

Jaidenator

Dec 27, 2010
The new design pretty much killed the site for me. Especially because this site runs on American time, so the updates aren't timed to my sleeping patterns, most of the time I've read the news being posted on here like 9 hours earlier on Reddit or Ausgamers. I still come for Zero and Extra punctuation, Movie Bob and The Big Picture.

I just think the site needs a faster update system, the main page articles don't really change from day to day. That news feed which listed the lesser stories in a long list at the bottom of the page in the old design was alright.

Honestly, looking at the front page now, I don't see an article on Steams Console rumour that is floating around, nor the news that Blizzard fired 600 employees. And if they are there, then it's a problem that I can't see them. Seriously guys, if your an Aussie, check out www.ausgamers.com