Where the hell is guild wars 2?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Inithra said:
Yeah, I got an email a few minutes ago to say it was now available. But it costs £49.99! At that price, forget it. That's more than any full price console game, and almost double the usual price for a PC title.
It also has no subscription fee. And uh, I'd love it if new releases of PC titles were 25 sterlings around here (or 30?. Most things are about 50).

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
The "usual price" is not Steam summer sales lol.

new PC releases are pretty much always in the 50-60 range, lower than that is a sale price.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
I looked it up, $80aud. Fuck off...

Never played GW1, not a huge fan of MMORPG's. So without a demo, I'm not parting with my hard earned.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Isn't the no sub fee supposed to be a GOOD thing?
I mean, if the last few years of marketing had been "Hey, OUR game has no sub fee, so costs £20 more!", I think sales may have suffered.
Likewise if they had said, "We noticed that pricing varies wildly across all territories, so to address that we are going to find the highest price and make that standard everywhere.", some people may have objected.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:

new PC releases are pretty much always in the 50-60 range, lower than that is a sale price.
That, frankly, is bullshit. I worked in video game retail for seven years, until last year, and PC titles generally sold for £29.99 or less, compared to £39.99 for console.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
psyco said:
Wolfhowl the shadow lurker said:
Put an order down on play so im on the waiting for stock list which does not feel like a happy place..

rant over!
They are currently experiencing... issues with their server loads so they mentioned somewhere on Reddit that they won't sell any more copies (for now). I mean, they would have to open up more servers, you know?

...I find this very amusing as well as devoid of logical thinking.
NC Soft. what do you really expect of them?

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Inithra said:
That, frankly, is bullshit. I worked in video game retail for seven years, until last year, and PC titles generally sold for £29.99 or less, compared to £39.99 for console.
I didn't notice the pound symbol in his initial post, my mistake.

Here, in Canada, new AAA PC titles release at 50-60, with GW2 costing me 60. So in my case: totally reasonable.

I guess the UK did get the shaft /shrugs.

Jun 11, 2008
psyco said:
This is hazardous, especially for large guilds or simply friends that intended to play together.
You get guested on to a friend's server or you can spend your own money less than 3g on gems to change to a high pop server others are cheaper. You do not have to spend any money at any stage.

Jun 11, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
psyco said:
Wolfhowl the shadow lurker said:
Put an order down on play so im on the waiting for stock list which does not feel like a happy place..

rant over!
They are currently experiencing... issues with their server loads so they mentioned somewhere on Reddit that they won't sell any more copies (for now). I mean, they would have to open up more servers, you know?

...I find this very amusing as well as devoid of logical thinking.
NC soft does not make Guild Wars and MMO servers are different to CoD servers.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
Lunar Templar said:
I didn't notice the pound symbol in his initial post, my mistake.

Here, in Canada, new AAA PC titles release at 50-60, with GW2 costing me 60. So in my case: totally reasonable.

I guess the UK did get the shaft /shrugs.
what...
the ...
fuck ...

o.0?! i think you FUBARed you quote there.

as i have never worked in video game retail, nor do i live where ever the funny looking L represents money, we all done use $$ where I'm from

Jun 11, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
Glademaster said:
Lunar Templar said:
um .. wot o.o? i think your missing a word or to cause I'm not following you
NC soft does not make Guild Wars Arena Net does they don't have anything to do with the servers aside from we're shutting this game down. They are a publisher and nothing more. So there is nothing to expect from them at all.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Glademaster said:
Lunar Templar said:
Glademaster said:
Lunar Templar said:
um .. wot o.o? i think your missing a word or to cause I'm not following you
NC soft does not make Guild Wars Arena Net does they don't have anything to do with the servers aside from we're shutting this game down. They are a publisher and nothing more. So there is nothing to expect from them at all.
true, but publishers have a say in more then just 'we're pulling the plug cause we're ass holes', EA is a publisher to, and they've been ruining they're games after all (yes i am still bitter about CoH, hope NCsoft tanks now >.<)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Inithra said:
GrandmaFunk said:

I've been seeing quite a few brand new games being sold for £39.99 initially these days, there's no reason for it but that's the route publishers are taking.

I think a game like GW2 has a fairly justified price in the long run, not only does it not have subscription fees but they also split the team in two after release with half updating the current game for free and the other half working on the next big expansion; if you were to look at some places in-game you can already see a load of stuff they plan on adding.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
$60 is on the high end as far as PC prices go, but GW2 justifies its cost. There's a staggering amount of content on display for a launch MMO. Even if you're not enthused enough to stick around for the PvP or to roll alts, there's a good couple hundreds hours of content there on a one shot, which is a very handsome dollars to play time ratio.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
Erm, £50. Yes, I do keep putting the £, as I do in fact mean POUNDS. £50=$80US. If $60 is "high but reasonable", what is $80?

airwolfe591

Dec 11, 2009
psyco said:
BloatedGuppy said:
Freezing sales the way they did was actually pretty smart.
I am aware of their reasons behind it and have been around long enough to witness the common issues of a couple new mmos. Thing is, I never really understood why, for example, they can't just temporarily rent servers when the masses of players are flooding the servers (not adding it as a new 'world' in GW2's case, mind you, just adding to the available space so to speak) and then later on give those things away again.
I mean GW2 had completely full servers during early access (!). And GW2 is special, see, they don't have queues... they just don't allow you to create a character on said servers, period. This is hazardous, especially for large guilds or simply friends that intended to play together.
Yes, of course, they did allow the free transfer thing for a week (after all, they want to make money off this after that -.-) but if all servers are already full there aren't really a lot of places one could transfer to. *shrugs*

(Disclaimer: I am not a hater, the game is great on its own merits and I love dodging around my enemies.)

Maybe there is just a market for renting stuff. Or maybe I am just WAY too naive. Probably the later :)
As has been said, there is a sort of Guest service. You and your friends don't need to be on the same server to play together, you can party up just like in any other game, and join their server (or them join yours), all can be done in game, without having to change servers or any of that. The only thing being on a different home server limits you to is World versus World, I don't think it affects Structured PvP either.

All in all, i think their system is very smart, for being a mmo without a monthly subscription. If I found I wanted more character slots, or to move servers (I'm content on Dragonbrand) I'd just save up in game gold and purchase the gems.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Inithra said:
Erm, £50. Yes, I do keep putting the £, as I do in fact mean POUNDS. £50=$80US. If $60 is "high but reasonable", what is $80?
Europe being bent over the table as usual, I'd say.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1303632/guild_wars_2_nsoft_explains_high_price_for_uk_collectors_edition.html

Screw you, government!

psyco

Aug 17, 2012
Glademaster said:
You get guested on to a friend's server or you can spend your own money less than 3g on gems to change to a high pop server others are cheaper. You do not have to spend any money at any stage.
Huh. Last time I was playing the guest system was still not working and to be implemented sometime soon (tm).
If its in there now, all the better.