Where were you when 9/11 happened?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Just out of curiosity, considering it is likely the most significant single historical event that a large part of us have a memory of. Where were you? Has it made you associate some specific thing with it? Created some special memory?

I was 9 years old when it happened, and it speaks to its significance that I can still remember it clear as day whereas everything else from that time has faded into a blur. I was watching the Digimon Movie (yes, the atrocious, hackneyed eyeball rape one) at my friend's house when his dad suddenly told us to come downstairs, and thus I will always remember the Digimon Movie, and associate it most with 9/11.

So howboutchu?

Vor Yang

Nov 1, 2011
I was 10 when it happened. I was also probably asleep when it happened because all I remember about it was that I woke up expecting my daily dose of DBZ and all I got was news reels about how something had been blown up. Maybe it's because I'm not american but I was furious that this crap was being shown instead of my beloved DBZ.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
8th grade... science class? I want to say Biology. I remember they stopped school and put the news on, and we all had to wait in class watching it while they got the buses in and called parents. I remember the kid beside me crying because his Dad was in New York on business (Not at the towers though).

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I remember coming home from school, my grandparents happened to be around and then someone switched on the TV and there was footage of one of the planes crashing into the towers. Considering the five-hour time difference between England and New York, that must have been only a couple of hours after the first crash. The only other thing I remember is my mum asking whether it was an accident, and my grandfather saying the news were suggesting it was deliberate. I was only just nine at the time though, so I didn't know much of the details until several years later.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
I was asleep, but I remember getting up and having my mother tell me what happened. I didn't believe it at first, but she flipped on the TV and showed me the news. It was a little surreal, I had to take a geometry test with 3 people silently crying in the room. All in all it was an odd day.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I was a small child, playing with some blocks. I saw it happen on TV, and kept telling everyone in the house that an airplane had crashed into a building.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I was 12 and at home, sleeping. School was out that day, Sept 11 is a holiday in Argentina.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I was asleep while it was happening, but when I woke up that morning my parents were watching a replay of the impact on BBC News. They explained that they'd been up for hours because a relative in the US had called early that morning and said "switch on the TV and watch the news." It didn't mean much to me at the time, though everyone on the bus to school was talking about it, but I remember the words of my friend after he'd stared at the footage for a few minutes: "This was a long time coming." I don't know if he means it the same way now, but years after becoming an officer he still stands by that statement, and he's in a position to be a lot more informed about it than I am.

I think we just mucked around at school that day. Looking back, I would have liked to be in the staff room that day; the teachers were probably the only people among us who had an inkling of what the world was going to be like for the next few decades. What a way to kiss the 90s goodbye.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Junior year English. TV was on before class, teacher switched it off a couple minutes after the bell so he could start class. Which made sense. We know it happened, and they knew everything else for the next ten hours was going to be vapid speculation that'd do nothing but panic and anger people. My history teacher had the same idea, I think most of teachers did.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It started at about 4PM in my country. I was in primary school, but, it had ended by then, and I had gone to one of my friend's house. His mother called us down and we watched what was happening on TV.

Eventually my parents picked me up and I continued witnessing the events unfold at home.

The next day, we had a big assembly in school and spoke about what happened.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I was at breakfast before school. Folks were watching TV, I saw the footage of the plane crash and asked what movie they were watching...then I realized that it was the news.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I was at home in the living room and ironically enough I had these sitting next to the TV at the time:

Those plushies are meanie babies Bull Clinton and his dog with Monica Lewinsky panties in his mouth( I actually collected quite a few meanie babies, not just those). He was the president who ordered the bombing of the pharmaceutical factory that made medicine for the poor in the region. Ron Paul at the time thought the Monica Lewinsky scandal was a cover up for him needing to be impeached over the bombing:

[link]http://www.mega.nu/ampp/khartoumbomb.html[/link]
[link]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/bombings/retaliation.html[/link]
[link]http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/02/afghanistan.terrorism3[/link]

It was due to this bombing that Bin Laden declared he would avenge their deaths and gathered support from the region and focused the US mainland. Bin Laden used this event to bolster support and influence in the region.The leader of the Pakistan MMA party at the time had said the attack had turned an ordinary man into a hero (Bin Laden). The Taliban leader at the time actually called the US state department and asked for Clinton to resign. They actually sold T shirts about this..

I was sitting in the living room painting a frame. I don't think I could every forget when I saw the plane hit the tower, nor would anyone else watching be able to, it was just horrific.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I was quite young before school age but I remember sitting with my mother watching the news about it. IIRC it was already afternoon in the UK by the time it happened, so the few hours I was still awake that day were mostly spent watching the panic.

I didn't really associate 9/11 with anything though and I didn't even think about it until years later. Come to think of it, I felt the same with 7/7. I guess child me just blocked terrorist attacks out the mind entirely.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My dad was driving me to the dentist on a rountine checkup (I was wearing braces back then) when I heard the news on the radio.

It was only when I got back home (the appointment was like 2.45pm) when I saw the full scope of it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
English class in High School. I'd just walked in and everyone was staring at the TV in the corner of the room and class had stopped completely. I was wondering what had everyone enthralled. I saw one of the buildings with a plane lodged in it. I was like, "Oh. That's a shame," kind of like how you'd be if you had just read about a car accident in the news. I was clearly not grasping the enormity of the situation then. Then the whole building came down and loud gasps filled the entire room.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd just come back from the dentist. I was watching TV up in my room when I saw it and then told everyone down stairs. But at that point only one plane had hit and I actually thought there'd just been an enormous fire outbreak, until I saw the replay. From that point on my parents followed the rest of the events. I guess I was 19 at the time.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
In 6th grade Art class. Our teacher Mr. Horseman left for an emergency teacher's meeting and never came back. We were alone for the entire day until our parents came to pick us up early at like...1.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
It was 15 years ago, I wasn't even born then!!!

On a more serious note, I was going to grumble about the prevalence of young people in here but time sure does fly.

I was 16 at the time and had just boarded the train going to school when people started talking about it and I think they might even have announced it on the platform as well.
Needless to say, the school day was not going down as planned as they offered grief counseling to anyone who wanted..
They tend to do for any reason today.. Kids today.

Bah, humbug!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I was shorting airline stock and went to the store to buy my saudi pal a sombrero. Something about some satellites and stuff.

Actually I don't remember. I was only 8. Interpretations of what happened introduced themselves into my lego and Worms games shortly after.