Where were you when 9/11 happened?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I was watching a Simpsons morning marathon on cable t.v, the alert kept popping up on one of those scrolling banners at the bottom of the screen. Annoyed me. I probably would have been more invested if I lived in America.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
I was in college. I'd forgotten by bag lunch at home and was kicking myself. When I got into my first class, everyone was watching it on TV. The teacher was mooting turning the thing off because it effectively over. And then the second plane hit while we were watching and nothing got done that day.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I was in 2nd grade I believe. I was coming back from a trip to the restroom at school, and saw a bunch of teachers gathered around a television set watching the news in an otherwise empty common room, only I thought it was a movie of some sort.

I tried to stick around to watch it, but one of the teachers shooshed me back to class.

I can't remember anything else; whether we were sent home early, what my parents said about it, how it was explained it to me, none of it. Just that.

I don't think we were told about it much that day in school, but we were in Texas. NYC and the Pentagon were half the country away.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
I was in 8th grade geology class that morning; I can't remember what the day was like - if we got out early, though I do remember watching the news on TV in class instead, of you know, learning - but I do remember the aftermath. My great-grandmother had passed on the tenth - she had alzheimers and had been in a nursing home for the last decade or so and no one could get on a flight out to Indiana where she and the majority of our 'relates are from/live - for the first couple of days/week so her freaking wake/memorial/burial was delayed. It was a really scary time, especially since my moms' aunt lived in California and my uncle lives in D.C.; he was very scared of something happening again.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I was walking home from school, I had to walk past a TV shop in the centre of town.

Normally the TVs were set to all different channels or sports or something. That day they were all on BBC 1 and there was a crowd of people just standing there looking at it. I stopped for a couple of minutes and stared too.

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
I was serving onboard the USS Kittyhawk. It was pierside in Yokuska, Japan. We were in stand down after we came back from deployment, and the ship was all torn apart. Hatches had been removed for maintenance; wires, tubes and air ducts running through all the spaces.

I was on duty and working in the shop, when they sound general quarters and I'm thinking, "How the hell can I set Zebra, with no damn hatch, let alone all these damn cables running through the shop" (gotta button up the ship when they sound the alarm). I was half expecting a squadron of Japanese Zeroes to bomb the damn ship. Not that we could have stopped them. I think they sent 3 security guys with shotguns up to the flightdeck to do... "something".

Jeteye

Escapist +
Feb 7, 2011
Country
United States of America
I was nine at the time. I lived a time zone away so I was asleep or getting ready for school that morning. We did spend all day watching the news in class and discussing what happened.

Yuri Gregorian

May 26, 2015
I was 20, it was about 11 at night. I was watching rumble in the jungle, A documentary about boxing when a message scrolled across the screen that a plane accidentally flew into the world trade center....at the time I thought that the plane pilot must have been an idiot to miss the giant fucking building. So I kept watching my documentary. Then another message popped up across the screen that a second plane had crashed into the world trade centre. Then I thought, where are they training these pilots?? so I flicked over to another chanel to see if I could get some news on why the hell people kept flying into the trade centre. Thats when I found out it was a little more serious than two pilots in some little airplane. I watched for a few minutes then figured it will still be happening after the documentary so flicked back to see who one between muhammad ali and George Foreman.....only to find that that Chanel had switched to the crash too......I kept watching, hoping that they would stop with the news and continue with the documentary but they did not. Every TV Chanel in Australia just continually played the same thing over and over again......and Im like, for the love of god, by all means update me on the situation but if you got nothing new then why are you still talking?? I think the stations where having some sort of care off where the first one to not show 911 cared the least or something. after 4 days of continual round the clock coverage I rang channel Ten cause the Simpsons where on that night and I wanted to know if they where going to show it or continue with the tragedy wank they had been doing for the last four days.........Yes the Simpsons were still on. A few years later I found out that Ali one the rumble in the jungle........I still thank about that most terrible week and that god I now have TV on demand for those other times the Media starts to tragedy wank.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was a sophomore in high school when it happened.

I saw it on TV and and dismissed it at first since I was in a rush to get to my bus stop and head towards the school library. That's where I saw the second plane hit the tower, and I remember coming to the realization that it wasn't a trailer for something and that it was actually happening.

Nothing was done that day since we were all glued to the tv watching.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
I was in 7th grade history at the time. Near the end of the period, our vice principal came in and told us the news.

I remember then spending all of the next period, which was supposed to be science, just watching the news broadcast. I even saw the first tower collapse during that.