Where's all the SJWs at?

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
Incisive said:
I'm pointing out that Ben Kuchera's a hypocrite. Which part of that is so hard to understand?
Whew, for a second there I was worried you were gunna tear down my entire worldview in one fell swoop. Glad that didn't happen.

Captcha: Rugged and Capable. Like all true SJWs should be.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Incisive said:
I'm pointing out that Ben Kuchera's a hypocrite. Which part of that is so hard to understand?
Well fine, ben kuchera is a hypocrite. I don't know who that is or why you decided to bring him up. Nor do I think whatever he did was okay. What's your point?

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Racecarlock said:
Incisive said:
Well fine, ben kuchera is a hypocrite. I don't know who that is or why you decided to bring him up. Nor do I think whatever he did was okay. What's your point?
I assume because he's one of the ones gamergate wants gone, due to the shitty, hypocritical things he's done. Especially as he's become something of a vocal focus of the anti-journalism ire recently, since the the whole 'trying to get Tito to shut down discussion on The Escapist' thing broke.

Racecarlock said:
That's the ultimate irony. While accusing anita and social justice warriors of "Censorship", SOME (not all not all not all don't kill me please) gamergate people have actively campaigned to get journalists fired for expressing an opinion they don't agree with, namely "Gamer is dead as a term" and "Can we go 5 minutes without getting death threats?". How is that not censorship?
Honestly, at this rate 'censorship' is going the way of 'literally' and 'ironically', words we can't use any more because they've misused to the point of farce.

Gamergate, from what I understand (it's a movement I sympathises with a fair chunk of (less politics, yellow journalism and clickbait in my gaming please) but am not involved in), wants these journalists gone, not because they disagree with their opinions, but because they're yellow journalists, and are therefore worthless at actually doing the job they're ostensibly paid for (reporting events as impartially and accurately as possible). They're not under fire here for expressing opinions, they're under fire for being bad at journalism. Wanting the firing of someone who is bad at their job is not censorship.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
My guess? Us "SJWs" are all around. Some of us are on the Escapist, some on Kotaku, some on Destructoid, etc.. The reason you don't see us is because we aren't some unified, secret cabal that plot to pick apart games and picket releases we don't like. We are just gamers that want our games to be a bit better, like most gamers do. The recent mess in the gaming community has made many of us surface however, we've stopped just playing games and being content with what we got (because games are fun) to speak up about how we want games to be made, about how the community treats many of its' members (particularly those of us that didn't get a Y chromosome from our dad). Which is another reason you don't see us that much, because trying to express a simple wish to developers about how they could make their game better (such as "less sexualization of women") often ends up with us being overwhelmed by replies from angry guys who feels that we are ruining their fun by virtue of having an opinion. Better to keep your head down and try to avoid the shit storm.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
In my experience, often discussed, rarely seen.

My Tumblr feed has quite a few Feminists on it. I saw maybe two messages a day about Social Justice issues. I had one gamer and he was posting dozens of passive aggressive jabs at SJW everyday. Eventually one particularly self-pitying message (I could disprove all the SJW nonsense in an instant... but I would be banned so I can't), I headed over to his Borderland page. When I started following him, it was wall-to-wall Borderlands, now its wall-to-wall politics... and not even informative politics just a lot of whining about how they're oppressed.

I unfollowed him.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DID SOMEBODY SAY SJW??

[img/]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/3710072/maleficent-o.gif[/img]

here I am! what will it be? patricary? mysogany? cultural apropriation? I got it all here...wanna hear how Elizabeth is actually sexist? oh hell why don't I just skip to the chase and tell you your all terrible peopel? yes YOU personally micheal! what the hell arte you doing? no don't look at me like that

Keoul said:
Because derp
oh hey! you found my twitter acount!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I think it would be pretty cool if there were some more non straight-white-male video game protagonists kicking around the place. Also, I will come for your penis in the small hours of the night, armed with a cigar trimmer.

Fear me.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
Impulse725 said:
SJW is a label applied to others, not something people self identify with.
I'm a SJW , and proud. There are issues that are close to my heart ( yeah that bodily organ with the icy-dagger poking out of it ), and yeah I'm going to stand up for what I believe in.
So what if it's a derogatory term? I reclaim it!

and I'm a gamer.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Incisive said:
Considering your intense concern over the state of the public service known as (hobbyist) journalism I must ask: Are you not, in fact, an SJW? More to the point that Breitebart list isn't of SJWs, it's of game journalists it's accusing of collusion. Very different.

Edit: Oh, nevermind, the user I was responding to was banned. Good show!

OT: I'm sure the SJWs are out there somewhere, but if they're socializing to play games, they're too busy playing games to be all boogyman-y.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Keoul said:
Because derp

Someone's probably gunna come and correct me but this is all I have to contribute. Don't know this topic well enough to debate it really.
Perhaps I am interpreting her comments wrong but it seems like she is being sarcastic and egging these people on. I find it funny how angry people are getting at her comments.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Quadocky said:
That being, where are all the SJWs who like gaming?
Take the two pilots that have already made the sacrifice so that you can face the challenge. Dispose of them. Assume the controls. Shove that control into a nosedive! Push yourself to total self-dstruction. As you realize, you are about to enter a world close to Parts Unknown. Ah, smell it. Warriors.

Joking aside, SJW is a pejorative. I don't know a single should that seriously takes that label onto themselves.

Urban dictionary has a definition that explains that much better

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

The SJW's favorite activity of all is to dogpile. Their favorite websites to frequent are Livejournal and Tumblr. They do not have relevant favorite real-world places, because SJWs are primarily civil rights activists only online.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
If you sit there, have a think, realise that you are generally pretty cool with inclusion and diversity, and say "hell, I guess that makes me a SJW!", then you're wrong. That makes you a decent stand-up human being.

SJWs are people who actively try to tear down everything men know and love, who would sooner see the media and hobby in ruins just to further their own agenda or get smug self satisfaction. Therefore, they don't exist.

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014
Hi. I'm here and was called sjw multible times.
I mostly don't post in GG Threads anymore because I learned that as long you don't agree with GG 100% you are aperently either stupid, naive and/or corrupt. You can't discuss with people who are not capable of self-reflection.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Norithics said:
Social Justice Warlock?
Do I have to tap my lifeforce to necro threads?
Don't be silly he means Social Justice War-Monks [http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/War_Monk]
You get to fight for justice with Axes and can use Staves to revive threads, but you can only be one if you are a man.
Which I think they are working on... but have run into linguistic difficulties with the SJWs [http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/War_Cleric] who claim that cleric is a way cooler word. So the SJWs and the SJWs are unable to resolve their SJW differences and are calling on the Social Justice warlocks to be an impartial party in terms of SJWs, so that could be where you got confused.

iTomes

Mar 8, 2011
Ben Lyons said:
Impulse725 said:
SJW is a label applied to others, not something people self identify with.
I'm a SJW , and proud. There are issues that are close to my heart ( yeah that bodily organ with the icy-dagger poking out of it ), and yeah I'm going to stand up for what I believe in.
So what if it's a derogatory term? I reclaim it!

and I'm a gamer.
Theres not much to reclaim there, since the term was afaik coined in order to describe what is essentially a group of people that is very hateful, features a lot of sexists, racists and other rather unpleasant people (like people hating thin people, for example, not even sure if theres a proper term for that O_O) who claim to be "feminists" or some similar term while pretty much insulting the very principle of any form of equality.

They also tend to heavily rely on ad hominem and strawman arguments when it comes to actually having a discussion, which basically makes talking to them nearly impossible since they will constantly try to either spin your words around or simply make something up in order to justify why you are not worth talking to and your arguments should hence be dismissed on the grounds that you are a terrible person instead of simply addressing what you actually said.

Theres more about them, specifically regarding some odd sense of "hierarchy" essentially based on just how "oppressed" a person is, an oddly cult-like behaviour, a very weird own terminology to keep themselves free from being called out for how hateful they are etc., but I dont really feel like writing an essay right now :p.

At any rate, if you want to you are perfectly free to use the term to describe yourself, its not like you need anyones approval after all, though you shouldnt be surprised when a lot of people dont really take you seriously when you basically use a title given to what I would call an insane person to describe yourself, just my two cents :).

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Bat Vader said:
Keoul said:
Because derp

Someone's probably gunna come and correct me but this is all I have to contribute. Don't know this topic well enough to debate it really.
Perhaps I am interpreting her comments wrong but it seems like she is being sarcastic and egging these people on. I find it funny how angry people are getting at her comments.
I don't. Whether she's being snarky or no, it's perpetuating a cycle of ignorance and loathing and it's reprehensible.

Edited to add:
In the name of fairness I would and have said the same thing on various unmentionable image boards when the hate machine starts up in earnest and the 'egging people on' that goes on there makes headlines. Those gents have no excuse, she has no excuse.

Eventually people have to stop kicking each other and start healing.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
BobDobolina said:
The SJWs are having a nice tea party with the libtards and the contards, the wingnuts and the idiotarians, the bedwetters and the Bushistas, the freepers and the moonbats, the Randroids and the reactionaries, the Rethuglicans and the Pajamahadeen.

- image snip -

The inimitable Eric Cartman is of course presiding. Scones will be served.
And here I was, thinking they'd all hang out on a satellite.
No wait, that's the SJL, not the SJW...

http://img-9gag-lol.9cache.com/photo/a49b606_700b_v1.jpg

Mea culpa.