Which browser should I use Firefox or Chrome?

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Trying them both out may be a good idea?

For me, I use Firefox - loads of manipulation and huge amounts of plugins, so I love it!

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Vhite said:
Use IE. You will be unique.
interesting definition of "unique" you have there. IE usage still accounts for nearly 75% of the populace as a whole.

Unless you mean unique amongst individuals that actually know how to use their computer properly and are not browsing on a company controlled computer, you might be a bit closer with that qualifier.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Chrome makes me a happy camper. I have never liked firefox. It feels so clunky and slow while it loads the 200 tools that I never asked for, that I'd rather use explorer.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, I use both, really. Chrome for more everyday browsing, and reading online, and Firefox if I need one of the billions of addons availible.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I use Firefox personally on my computer, but I run Chromium on my flash drive that I take everywhere with me. Firefox is great for all of the addons I've installed for added security, but Chromium is a hell of a lot faster. If you're concerned with security (at least more than the less tech savvy people) grab an adblocker (do remember to whitelist sites that you want to support though) and possibly a script blocker (though that makes surfing a bit of a pain in the ass when you visit new sites, as you need to reconfigure your blocker settings most of the time.)

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
why not both? I use both, one for each of my google account. Doesn't have to be one or the other kind of thing does it?

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Most recent, reliable benchmark I could find: Browser Comparison Benchmark Results.
Only a month old.
You can see performance for yourself.

False statements in this thread:
Chrome uses less memory than Firefox. Opera is faster than Firefox and Chrome.
True statements in this thread:
Chrome is (generally) faster than Firefox.

I personally prefer Firefox, since I <3 customization. I like being able to do whatever I want to do with my browser. I could run a more barebones version if I cared about speed more, but it's fast enough and it does everything I want it to do. Including everything that I like about Chrome.

If all you care about is speed, and don't give a damn about what you can make a browser do, then probably Chrome is the way to go.

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
I have them both, so that if I'm having trouble with one I can simply use the other, although for the record I'm using firefox now.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Chrome, but im pretty bias because i have never used firefox.
But why would i? Chrome hardly fails on me.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I use chrome... used to like firefox, but version 7 is bloated beyond reason, and most of the plugins I used with 6 are no longer supported in 7. Startup and shutdown times on it are absolutely heinous, as well.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I use both on different computers, and here's my experience with both

Chrome:

Faster
Much cleaner, easier to use, pleasant on the eyes UI
Crashes less
Add-ons and plugins have no problems (Firefox's constant updates break most plugins)
Updates are fast and painless

Firefox:

Much more customizable (which is a lot to ask for)
Bigger add-on library

Again, I use both, I don't have a huge preference, so long as they function and don't crash every hour.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Google Chrome. Without a doubt. Sspecially if your only browsing and not doing crazy stuff. It's a billion times faster and looks far sleaker and it's a lot more customisable

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I herd Chrome runs faster, but I like Firefox since I can customize it. Also IMHO Chrome just looks strange since it doesn't run in a normal windows window (and by normal I mean classic).

Calatar

May 13, 2009
Size of the thread is proportional to number of false statements in thread.
Granted, performance benchmarks are not perfect means of comparison, but they do a lot better than subjective feelings about performance.

People are subject to confirmation bias when dealing with performance. If you're told that a browser is slow, you will pay attention to when it makes you wait. Even if it's faster than other browsers on average, you will remember that time it made you wait, and thus confirm your expectations.

Benchmarks are generally not subject to this problem, unless the benchmarker is cherry-picking results. That's why I recommend them whenever I see people talking about performance with no evidence to back up their claims. A thousand opinions are no substitute for a substantiated point-by-point comparison.