Which franchise did Hollywood ruin more? Twilight or Eragon?

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Riding on Thermals said:
HardRockSamurai said:
RedMenace said:
Huh? Twilight was "good" in book format? You mean it did'nt have "sparkling" vampires and countless "I love you, but I'm dangerous" moments? Oh wait... it did? Than I guess there was nothing for Hollywood to ruin to begin with.
You know, I thought so too, but my roommate read it, and told me it was very well written. And since I don't really think he's your average, dumb, vampire fanboy (he actually approached the book with a lot of skepticism too [his girlfriend wanted him to read it]), I decide to call it a good book; even though I hate the thought of glittering vampires.
I am officially revoking your roommate's Man Card.
I already did when he took his little sisters to see the Hannah Montana movie. No amount of Axe Body Spray will help him get it back now...
Now hold on, was he forced to take them? If so he can be shown (some) leniency. But if he choose to go, no way, not only take his "man card" but shred it!

No to get back on topic. While I think it made alot of mistakes, and I mean alot, I didn't think Eragon was the most horrible movie ever. Whereas Twilight, how do you ruin crap? Maybe by adding more crap, but that is about it.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
darthzew said:
Eragon. There was nothing to ruin in Twilight.

It's like Hollywood trashed a dump when they made Twilight.
But it's like Hollywood trashed a holy temple when they made Eragon.
Yes, this.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
What little I know of Twilight looked roughly like the commercials. So therefore I'd go with Eragon, because what little I saw of the commercials was nothing like what I had read.

I didn't see either movie though: so I win. I knew Eragon would be horrible, and Twilight doesn't have me as the target audience.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I personally think Eragon is ruined more for the reason that Eragon was good to begin with. Turning a bad book into an even worse movie is a nowhere near as bad as turning a good book into a bad movie. That said I think that someone who has no experience with Eragon the book could enjoy the movie...even if only slightly.

CulexVanda

Dec 20, 2008
Eragon for only one reason,
The creators of the movie destroyed the story that they is no way to make the others books into movies

Hellsbells

Jun 18, 2009
I finally got so fed up with my younger cousins and aunts gushing over Twilight while we were visiting them one time that me and my sane cousin drove to the video store, rented Nosforatu (that was hard to find), Bram Stoker's Dracula and Underworld, then sat them all down for movie night. It was rather amusing =)

ArchBlade

Pointy Object Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2008
Twilight has never once appealed to me in the least, movie or not. In my opinion, Twilight can't be ruined by any incarnation, because it already suffers from inept writing and a shoddy, teenage girl pandering plot. But that's just me.

Eragon, however, I've had a more changeable relationship with, in the sense that I actually enjoyed the books to a point. It's no Lord of the Rings, as far as fantasy goes, but at least it has potential. Between the two of them, I'd say Eragon took the hardest blow from the movie industry, in proportion to it's quality, that is.

theklng

May 1, 2008
we can safely assume that the two franchises mentioned did enough to destroy themselves by coming into being. if anything, hollywood just made them better.

Gadzooks

Jun 15, 2009
I found Eragon awful. I couldn't finish it. Twilight I haven't tried nor wish to.

Let's just agree that both sucked anyway, and neither author will be complaining about the extra millions they recieved from the movies.

Lord_Seth

Jun 19, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
Both Twilight and Eragon had humble beginnings as charming, well written, and fairly successful fantasy novels.
You're joking, right? Eragon is one of the few books I've read that I found to be so bad that reading it was literally painful.

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
everyone should keep in mind that the reason twilight was made into a movie was because the fans of the book wanted it. it blew up in the book-world practically overnight and, voila, the movie came out.

they had almost no budget for making the movie, and therefore the special effects / stunts / etc were crap and understandably so.

also, as for the paleness, uhh, vampire? duh. kind of goes hand in hand. as well as the fact that it was a 'pretty boy'. they were trying to appeal to a young, mostly female, audience, and therefore picked a male lead that was a pretty boy. it only makes sense.

now, i think half the reason everyone hates twilight is because idiots love it, practically worship it.

i read the series, and it wasn't that bad. the movie wasn't that bad either. they made a movie that would make millions, it's how hollywood works.

not to mention, when robert pattinson was casted as edward, there were upwards of 100,000 complaint letters from fans complaining that he'd make an awful edward. and now look? he's effing everywhere.

and i don't think stephanie meyer expected this huge explosion of fans [and of course, 'haters']. she was just writing a damn book.

and coming from someone who's wiped out the vampire section at barnes & noble, i will concede that twilight is probably at the bottom of the list.

it's childish and leaves much to be desired. but really people, it wasn't that bad and i think there are certainly more movies being put out lately that are much much lower quality crap.

but that's just my opinion. and sorry for the rant, considering i don't care for the books either, but i think it's rather silly how upset people get over twilight. don't watch it. :D

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
Lord_Seth said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Both Twilight and Eragon had humble beginnings as charming, well written, and fairly successful fantasy novels.
You're joking, right? Eragon is one of the few books I've read that I found to be so bad that reading it was literally painful.
the kid ripped off of star wars & lord of the rings.
it's interesting to watch the movie after that fact has been pointed out.

gave me a laugh, for sure. :D

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
Hellsbells said:
I finally got so fed up with my younger cousins and aunts gushing over Twilight while we were visiting them one time that me and my sane cousin drove to the video store, rented Nosforatu (that was hard to find), Bram Stoker's Dracula and Underworld, then sat them all down for movie night. It was rather amusing =)
no queen of the damned or interview with a vampire? :[

though nosferatu is pretty ballin. XP

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The only book I read from the two was Eragon, and it was a fairly good book though it got boring to the end. I just could not read the first 5 fucking pages of the sequel "Eldest" though, I just COULDN'T!

The movie changed alot of the book, so I'm going with Eragon.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
Man 1: Jesus Christ! Hollywood is turning Twilight into shit!!

Man 2: Turning? Twilight always WAS shit!

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
Ah yes, another Twilight bashing thread. How many people here have read the books? not many I'm guessing.
Eragon was definitely ruined worse, I could sit through the Twilight movie. I walked out of Eragon, it was just that bad.
As for the whole book bashing, maybe a few other people other than Trivun and myself should consider reading Twilight. Overall its not a bad series, a few bits are rather grindy but the action and fantasy bists are fairly well done. I dont think Twilight deserves the bashing it gets, the fan-girls do, but not the books.