Which game has the best reload system?

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Black definitly had the coolest animations, especially the revolver. It was just so bad-ass.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
I liked the active reload in Gears. (+1!)

Now that I think about it, Goldeneye Rogue Agent had some cool looking reloads, especially when duel wielding. They had several different reloading animations and one of many were chosen randomly when reloading.
Actually, someone correct me on this. It's been several years and I haven't played it or seen it since it first came out.

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
The Iron Ninja said:
[insert favourite game here}

What exactly do you mean by best reload system?
So far it seems to be more along the lines of "I think it looks cool" in the way of responses here.

Edit: Although in retrospect Gears of war was a bit different, though I never understood how reloading better would make your bullets do more damage.

Actual system wise, I prefer more realistic games like Operation Flashpoint that keep track of seperate magazines with their set amount of ammo that you can change between, instead of a pool of amunition that magically fills into your magazine when you take it out and put it back in again.

yeah, I agree there, realistic reloading causes you to think, and not just throw away magazines and magically have more, it is challenging and more entertaining when it is realistic.

On a side note: What's with the weapons in practically ALL FPS' having no recoil?

imPacT31

Mar 19, 2008
The original Killzone, especially the heavy weapons.
The ISA chaingun with under-slung rocket launcher and the Helghast squad cannon both looked impressive and sounded great; the reload animation was the only good thing about the Helghast weapon really, it was really hard to aim and surprisingly ineffective.

Off topic: Did anyone else notice "For the Emperor", at 5:53?

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
What? Wait...

You mean to say you can reload the gun you are holding rather than wait for another full one to appear in your hands when you respawn?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
My faves are Red Orchestra and Goldeneye. When you're dual-wielding, if it's not a smooth reload, then it completely ruins the mood. I've heard some people actually PUT DOWN one gun to load the other, then do the inverse. How uncool.

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
TIe for me between Uncharted and Far Cry 2. They are both simple single button commands, but the animations are very fluid and realistic. That said Killzone 2 looks really good as well.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
Practically all reload systems are the same: you press a button, and your guy reloads, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with FarCry: Instincts, where Jack Carver can reload an SMG with only one hand. How does he do that?

Mar 26, 2008
Gears Of War's active reload really does it for me.

If I had to pick another one it would be Black. As someone said before the reload in that is so visceral.

John Stalvern

Aug 28, 2008
Not my favorite, but F.E.A.R sometimes messed its nailgun animation up. The magazine would fall and a fresh one would conveniently slide up your wrist and click into the gun.

Jul 9, 2008
Samurai Goomba said:
Black.

Those animations were works of art.
I was gonna bring that up, but it seems I was beaten to it. I also like that you couldn't fire a sniper rifle from the hip, it just felt right you know? Thank you XBL marketplace, Black would have gotten away from me, I just downloaded it like a week ago.

EDIT: something I would like, although the game would be destroyed by critics for it, would be if it was actually a different button or sequence of buttons to reload each gun. The immersion would go up, because real guns aren't reloaded by a simple button press, but rather a relatively unique sequence of movements. You know what I mean?

EDIT #2: I just thought of another game: Perfect Dark. More specifically, the Cyclone, which you would somehow reload by passing a sheet of metal through the top. Also, the Fareye, which would reload by holding a small orb up to it, which it would absorb.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
Gears, feels great, looks great, and has that unrealistic yet rewarding bonus with actives.

far cry 2 / any other game with jamming, deserve mentions for realism.

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Gears of War. Sure a damage boost is a little bit of a head scratcher, but it let you get into things without getting too complex, and let the developers put in jamming without relying on an RNG. Random jams in games are always bloody frustrating, especially if it sends you back to the last checkpoint. Even more irritating when you think about it: game guns that don't jam are closer to realism than the ones that jam all the time in games.

Weapon jams are rare in anything even remotely maintained. Most of the time, it's a user fault: I've seen more jams from bad magazine feeds and bad loading of a mag than anything else.

WubbaArmy

Jun 11, 2008
All Unreal games (except Unreal 2, but I don't play that :p), because reloading doesn't exist. You have a full Flak Cannon. There's a bunch of enemies in front of you. You know what to do.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Far Cry 2 has some really nice reload animations... lots of energy and strength to them. I also do have to admit that the active reload from Gears of War does feel pretty good, even if I don't like the game that much.

superbleeder12

agamersperspective.com
Oct 13, 2007
l4d because you can reload while melee-ing....

I kinda like the way dark sector handles weaponry. you can only use the weapon for a limited amount of time before the gun self destructs. Its kinda fun when you're in a heated firefight and your gun explodes in your hands. You're like "OH SHI-"