Which game has the WORST story

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Grabbin Keelz said:
Prototype's was just silly. How am I supposed to feel sorry for a guy who was given superpowers and takes it out on innocent civilians?
I don't think youare, given the final revelation that he isn't, in fact, a guy, He's a walking virus that has adopted Mercer's body.

DragonBorn96

Jan 17, 2011
Prototype, its hard to like a story revolving around a killer who can eat anyone then elbow drop into the crowds. I will summarise its plot = Kill.Kill.Kill.Feel sorry for self.Kill.Kill.kill.kill

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
Grabbin Keelz said:
Prototype's was just silly. How am I supposed to feel sorry for a guy who was given superpowers and takes it out on innocent civilians?
you're not, he's the enemy in the sequel apparently. I think it was meant to show how the virus was effecting him because he didn't seem to care much about anything but his objectives.
Thats just how its come across to me though, the developers might not have been that complex on purpose! its probably just lazy storytelling.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
If someone says one of the CoD games has good writing I will abandon my wishes for strong storytelling in games, if those are the standards we're going to set.
Black Ops honestly had some good writing.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
mb16 said:
IBlackKiteI said:
all Halo games past CE.

see this is what i dislike. people not liking games for lacking in story when mostly its shooty fun. Thats like saying Doom or pac-man was bad as there was little story. Not all games need one to exist. but they can often be a nice add-on to explain some of the reasons for doing things.
The thing is Halo tries so hard to have a good story but its riddled with cliches and uninteresting characters.
It wouldn't matter so much if it didn't attempt to make its story the absolute forefront of the game. The game could just make you go from point A to point B killing bad guys from beginning to end, but its loaded with crap that attempts to make the player become drawn into the game when it does the exact opposite.

That's why I thought the first Halo had a great story, your stranded on this alien world pretty much doomed to die and all you can do is uncover its secrets. Halo CE felt unique and it had all these things going for it story-wise. The other Halo's take a much more...forceful approach and degenerate into your standard corridor shooter, constantly telling you to go here, go there, listen to generic commander character #893462 go on about how bad the aliens are and how your the only hope for the galaxy for 20 minutes while working towards some objective thats supposed to be really important but you really do not give a shit about.
It follows this same sort of pattern for Halo 2, 3 and Reach.

Oh yeah, the marketing campaign.
A trailer which shows many soldiers fighting for their lives in the defence of a small town, conveying a very powerful sense of hopelessness whilst showing the brutality and power of the enemies. We get a game with a campaign that never shows anything more than the player and a few dumbass teammates running around killing baddies, pretty much because they can. It's an insult to the original.

A trailer which shows a Spartan team's desperate attempt to destroy a Covenant ship, resulting the death of one of them as well as many UNSC personnel. We get a linear and boring few-hour-long campaign which apparently shows a massive conflict, which you never see.

Awexsome said:
In B4 people saying Halo to look cool... damn too late.

While I don't really know what game had the worst story I do know that anyone that says Halo is fucking retarded or an "insert game here" fanboy. Probably some game back on the old NES or something.
You've essentially proved you are a fanboy, well done. Now explain why Halo is so great.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Link's Awakening.
Anyone whose finished that Zelda game has to agree that its such a painful cliche.... Great game, but that "twist" is aweful! D:

IBlackKiteI said:
mb16 said:
Awexsome said:

While I don't really know what game had the worst story I do know that anyone that says Halo is fucking retarded or an "insert game here" fanboy. Probably some game back on the old NES or something.
You've essentially proved you are a fanboy, well done. Now explain why Halo is so great.
Um... Not really? The only thing anyone's proven here is that you're blatantly a Halo hater who invisions themselves reasonable on the topic, because you take offense to someone saying that Halo isn't bad, but instead of pointing out why its bad, you make them defend their view.

Halo is alright. Not a pinnacle of the arts, but its fine. A lot of the characters are pretty generic, but in the "srs, gritty" filter that one wears when partaking in the Halo universe, they're quite believable.

And the actual story? What pretty much happens in Halo is:
Humans are nearly wiped out by alien covenant
the MC destroys a Halo, setting in motion a simultaneous civil war amongst the alien covenant and the rise of evil parasite aliens.
The Bad aliens of the covenant try to destroy everything, and good alien rebels join forces to stop bad alien parasites and bad covenant aliens.

That's not a bad plot. Its more than just servicable, especially by video game standards. I mean, some of the most beloved games follow paper-thin plots: "Witch captured sister. Go find golden jigsaw puzzle piece mcguffins so you may fight aforementioned witch."

He's right in not wanting Halo to be called one of the "worst stories in video games," because it is not, and the only reason to, out of all interactive digital media to try to make such a claim is because said person has an irrational hatred for the franchise.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
I nominate Battlefield: Bad Company 2, for trying to rip off MW2s story, and succeeding in the considerable task of coming up with something worse.

bodyguarddied

Oct 25, 2009
Section 8. I'm not even sure there IS a plot. Some faction has pissed off your faction, kill em. Honestly, I don't think it goes any further than that with plot.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Fallout 3, I love the game, but if there are two things I have to beat the game over the head for, they are: too many fucking subway tunnels, and a very unoriginal story.
While New Vegas may not have had an incredible story, it was at least more original.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Worst would be something from the NES, but a bad one in recent memory was Rogue Warrior.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
IBlackKiteI said:
mb16 said:
IBlackKiteI said:
all Halo games past CE.

see this is what i dislike. people not liking games for lacking in story when mostly its shooty fun. Thats like saying Doom or pac-man was bad as there was little story. Not all games need one to exist. but they can often be a nice add-on to explain some of the reasons for doing things.
The thing is Halo tries so hard to have a good story but its riddled with cliches and uninteresting characters.
It wouldn't matter so much if it didn't attempt to make its story the absolute forefront of the game. The game could just make you go from point A to point B killing bad guys from beginning to end, but its loaded with crap that attempts to make the player become drawn into the game when it does the exact opposite.

That's why I thought the first Halo had a great story, your stranded on this alien world pretty much doomed to die and all you can do is uncover its secrets. Halo CE felt unique and it had all these things going for it story-wise. The other Halo's take a much more...forceful approach and degenerate into your standard corridor shooter, constantly telling you to go here, go there, listen to generic commander character #893462 go on about how bad the aliens are and how your the only hope for the galaxy for 20 minutes while working towards some objective thats supposed to be really important but you really do not give a shit about.
It follows this same sort of pattern for Halo 2, 3 and Reach.

Oh yeah, the marketing campaign.
A trailer which shows many soldiers fighting for their lives in the defence of a small town, conveying a very powerful sense of hopelessness whilst showing the brutality and power of the enemies. We get a game with a campaign that never shows anything more than the player and a few dumbass teammates running around killing baddies, pretty much because they can. It's an insult to the original.

A trailer which shows a Spartan team's desperate attempt to destroy a Covenant ship, resulting the death of one of them as well as many UNSC personnel. We get a linear and boring few-hour-long campaign which apparently shows a massive conflict, which you never see.

Awexsome said:

I've never said it's story was great. Even though I think it is that's a manner of opinion. It's your fault if you can't get invested into characters that are plenty deep enough if you tried to care about them. Halo 2 had the Arbiter, the rise of the brutes and the fall of the Elites. Granted the human side was bland throughout the games the flood and their fight against the forerunners of old and how their fight became the new fight...

And i felt more invested into Halo's story than I ever was with something else like Half life. Oh yay. A physics puzzle. Who saw that one coming. I could pick the cliches out of there if you wanted. Go visit TV tropes for a bit. It's not the cliches that make a story its how you use them.

The Covenant's side of the story is far more interesting than half life's will ever be for me. I'm not calling half-life's the worst ever since it's a well put together plot with likeable characters but I don't see the point in a lot of people turning around and calling Halo's that with just as much merit I'd have of saying Half-life's story is boring and stupid as hell. Worst thing ever.

And that's not even taking the books into the whole scheme of things which are even better than the games.

Hemlet

Jul 31, 2009
Soul Blazer for the Super Nintendo takes the cake for me. It's the only game I've ever seen where you absolutely have to have a conversation with a door to advance the "story". Still surprisingly fun for what it was though, but man does that game have some cracked out moments.

Sep 14, 2009
timeadept said:
gmaverick019 said:
For the pokemon thing i can see where your coming from, but at the same time it has a nice simplicity to it that's why it works out so well for kids/anyone of any age.

mercenaries 2 i will agree with though, fuck that shit.

for my own submission?

borderlands.

fuck that fucking ending and fuck the games build up to it
I actually quite liked borderlands. I don't feel that the game was about the story and so i feel that the minimalist approach to story telling that they took worked well. There were subtle things going on through out the game, you always knew you were going to find the vault, yeah i expected an ancient treasure trove of advanced (yet ancient) weapons (i never understand the idea that these guys were capable of such advanced feats of technology and yet they are all gone today and the knowledge lost and forgotten) but there were hints that there was something else in there. Sure i was disappointed by the lack of loot for bringing down that behemoth, but i felt that the story was told well up to that point and so i was willing to forgive the lack of guns and enjoy how that little mystery unfolded.

I don't really have a good candidate for my worst story ever, comparing what I've played through so far of golden sun dark dawn i have to say that i am very disappointed, it is nothing compared to the first game (golden sun + TLA = 1 story = a 2 part game(don't take this too literally please)).

There are other games that i ignore the (already bad) story completely cause i'm in it for the gameplay, ie. just cause 2 and magicka. Though magicka is a special cause cause it's trying to be silly but the story actually got in the way of the game for me. I just wanted to blow shit up, i didn't care why, so any pause in the action for a cutsceen or story telling was usually unwelcome.
there was nothing wrong with the game actually, i loved the borderlands game, but the story started off decent enough, but with how the game ended?

no. no thank you. it ruined the rest of it completely.

now that isn't the WORST i have ever had, by far, but when you have a game build up all that to the vault and the end and that annoying *****, and you have it go down like that? that was easily one of the worst endings for one of the better build ups i have had in any video game.

Sep 14, 2009
Erana said:
Link's Awakening.
Anyone whose finished that Zelda game has to agree that its such a painful cliche.... Great game, but that "twist" is aweful! D:

IBlackKiteI said:
mb16 said:
Awexsome said:

Um... Not really? The only thing anyone's proven here is that you're blatantly a Halo hater who invisions themselves reasonable on the topic, because you take offense to someone saying that Halo isn't bad, but instead of pointing out why its bad, you make them defend their view.

Halo is alright. Not a pinnacle of the arts, but its fine. A lot of the characters are pretty generic, but in the "srs, gritty" filter that one wears when partaking in the Halo universe, they're quite believable.

And the actual story? What pretty much happens in Halo is:
Humans are nearly wiped out by alien covenant
the MC destroys a Halo, setting in motion a simultaneous civil war amongst the alien covenant and the rise of evil parasite aliens.
The Bad aliens of the covenant try to destroy everything, and good alien rebels join forces to stop bad alien parasites and bad covenant aliens.

That's not a bad plot. Its more than just servicable, especially by video game standards. I mean, some of the most beloved games follow paper-thin plots: "Witch captured sister. Go find golden jigsaw puzzle piece mcguffins so you may fight aforementioned witch."

He's right in not wanting Halo to be called one of the "worst stories in video games," because it is not, and the only reason to, out of all interactive digital media to try to make such a claim is because said person has an irrational hatred for the franchise.
just gotta say, that was well put. I never quite thought of it in the overall scheme of things.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Viva Pinata, I mean seriously, everyone knows that in real life Pinatas are murderous thugs...