Which is scarier! Seeing or hearing?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I'd say hearing. If I can see the danger, I can at least know what's coming, but hearing it leaves too much room.

However, I'm lucky enough to never suffer this, even after all-nighters. At worst, I can't move an arm when I get up, but that's because of how I slept. Can still stab someone/thing with my other arm. :D

xdom125x

Dec 14, 2010
I'd have to say that hearing is scarier for 2 reasons.
1.) You can hear something scary behind you which you wouldn't be able to see.
2.) You use even more imagination to invoke fear in yourself by thinking stuff like "I really hope it doesn't have characteristic X".

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
Hearing. It freaks me out when I know something's there, but I can't see it, and I can't do anything about it. I'm in it's watch, it's tempo. All I can do is wait for it to make a move.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Dunno really, I used to get sleep paralysis but without visions or hallucinations, it was just the part where your brain becomes conscious before your body wakes up so you get the "oh shit I can't breath or move...fuuuuuuuuck...."

I can't say I've had hallucinations with sleep paralysis but I've had very vivid recurring dreams that although out of the ordinary to say the least had nothing about them that you could wake up and prove to yourself that it was definitely a dream, initially after waking up I'd have no idea if I was awake or dreaming or at what point I had woken up and it went on long enough for me to wonder if it was actually happening. But still that doesn't com pare to waking up thinking you are dying. Hearing things or seeing things I just about deal with, but thinking that you've stopped breathing for some reason and can't do anything to make yourself start again or even move or speak to try and get help, that takes it for me.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I can't possibly imagine which would be worse.

But I think hearing is worse.

Like to me, it's a whole other version of fear. More of dread because you don't see anything, you only hear. There's something moving, you've no idea what it is and the imagination is going nuts.

If you do see it, then the fear shifts from the anxious worry to the "OMIGod, I know what it is!! It's a clearer one.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
I once dreamed that my twin was trying to smother me with her more ample chest.

...I have no twin sister.

"effect costoes"? What you talkin' about, CAPTHCA?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Hearing often lends to apprehension and can lead to dread, fear of the unknown and the future result of that sound. Seeing deals with the very real terror of the here and now, the thing before you that you know poses danger.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
HOLY SH*T! There's a name for that? because I remember a couple instances in my life where that happened.

One really good one was when I was falling (I could feel the air rushing by me), hear the rushing air, and and see things as if I was falling into them.

In my head I was just imagining my self just laying there unable to move.

Alot of times I just get really load ringing noises in my head and am unable to wake up or move. At first it was really scary but then it just got really loud for awhile and I had to just wait 'til it was over.

I think hearing things was pretty scary, I don't think seeing moving images would be as bad as that.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Definitely hearing. Because, that way, the mind pretty much can go crazy with what the sound could be, instead of what it actually is. Once you see it, removes any doubt (even if the thing you see is scary as hell).

Which is why Silent Hill has always scared the crud out of me. ._. You tend to hear so many creepy noises.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I have to go with seeing. Because then the shit is actually there with me as opposed to outside the room or down the hall.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Hearing. Like Yahtzee and the guys on EC say, your imagination can scare you a lot better than anything else.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I've always wanted to hallucinate...
I have a friend who suffers from the same thing, except it's always when he wakes up for the morning anyway. He just can't move for a few seconds, or minutes sometimes.
Anyway, I think hearing would be scarier. First, your imagination would fill in the blanks. If I was seeing things, I think I'd pretty quickly figure out I was hallucinating.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I'd say hearing because your mind is making whatever you hear into the most frightining thing you are afraid of personally

The Seldom Seen Kid

Apr 28, 2010
Hearing for me is much worse.

Watch any horror movie with no sound and it's almost comedic, but try listening to the agonized screams of the victims without the visual effects. It's much worse, because my mind tends to fill in the blanks, and I always imagine much worse.

My favorite proof of sight over sound:
Listen to that with your eyes closed and it's downright terrifying. I can't stand it.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
hearing is scarier for me, and it makes logical sense considering most fear is produced by you "scaring yourself" because it is unknown. If you can hear something but can't see it, you know absolutely nothing about it other than the sounds it makes.