Which is your favourite God?

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Although I won't deny the existence of multiple gods (Hey, now, the first Commandment is only talking about WORSHIPPING other Gods!) I prefer the one I grew up with: The caring, compassionate New Testament God. Sure, I think God could easily have done the things mentioned in the Old Testament, but I look at it from a combination of the "God works through people" belief and how the Bible is meant to be religious truth, rather than a literal interpretation of what happened.

Plus, Christian metal is awesome.

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
SteakHeart said:
Although I won't deny the existence of multiple gods (Hey, now, the first Commandment is only talking about WORSHIPPING other Gods!) I prefer the one I grew up with: The caring, compassionate New Testament God. Sure, I think God could easily have done the things mentioned in the Old Testament, but I look at it from a combination of the "God works through people" belief and how the Bible is meant to be religious truth, rather than a literal interpretation of what happened.

Quoted for bravery
Christian Metal? I think I went to White Cross concert once and lost my ability to hear for a couple of days but that was a long time ago. Not really sure what's happening on the Christian metal scene these days but id be interested to find out.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Nathan Dewar said:
SteakHeart said:

Quoted for bravery
Christian Metal? I think I went to White Cross concert once and lost my ability to hear for a couple of days but that was a long time ago. Not really sure what's happening on the Christian metal scene these days but id be interested to find out.
I was thinking of Oh, Sleeper and Red. Never heard of White Cross.

...Maybe what I was trying to say is "The Christian metal/rock bands I've heard of are awesome"?

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
Lear said:
The-Epicly-Named-Man said:
Lear said:
I'd hardly call the God of the Old Testament just or fair, half of what he does is pretty despicable.
Almost all of the punishments He melted out were really just that, punishments for sin (When the Israelites did not listen to Him after they left Egypt, He made them wander in the desert for forty years. When the northern kingdom became too greedy and was ruled by a plutonomy, He opened the door for the Assyrians to take over as part of their conquests. When the southern kingdom started worshipping idols, He opened the door for the Babylonians to take over).

He also did do good (giving Abraham a child, saving Joseph, getting the Israelites out of Egypt, eventually allowing them to enter the land of milk and honey, saving them from Haman, and returning them to the land of milk and honey).

The only time he melted out punishment to an innocent was when he ruined Job, but that was just to win a bar bet against Satan, and Job got all his stuff back at the end.

Then eventually he went from using tough love to love, and thus begins the New Testament.
What about the flooding of the world, destroying almost every living being on the planet? What about the complete destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, children and all? What about the disasters inflicted on the Pharaoh of Egypt because, after being lied to by Abram, took Sarai as a wife believing she was merely Abram's sister? There may be occasional lapses where the vengeance he inflicts upon his followers could be interpreted as love driven, but it's undeniable there is quite a lot of injustice there.
Egypt: God was slow to anger. He started small and moved up to worse and worse to free the Israelites from a very harsh and oppressive slavery; Moses himself killed a slavedriver when he was prince, having watched the slavedriver brutally beat a slave.

Sodom and Gommorrah: Two wicked cities wiped off the face of the Earth here. There's no detail given, but considering the worship of Baal in the area, child sacrifice was probably commited by the residents, and really there would have to be A LOT of wickness there to be wiped off the face of the Earth; Ninevah was given a second chance by God through Jonah. And there is actually explicit reference to children dying in the Egypt scenario, and most there were likely teenagers. Nothing about children in Sodom or Gommorah.

The Great Flood: Please consult the tales of the Hindu goddess Shiva, and the mythology of Sekhemet, then get back to me. God isn't the only one atributed to a great catastrophe.

Abram/Sarai: Wording wasn't clear. But God had NOTHING to do with the events around them. Abram took Hagar as a concubine to have a son, Ishmael, but then God gave Sarai a son with Abram, Isaac, so Abram threw Hagar and Ishmael out into the desert without provocation or any demands from God. No reason to bring that up.
Ok I'm going to stop you right there, bravo for bravery, but there's little point defending God because we will never understand the motivations for his actions or lack there of as far we perceive. Why? Because the nature of God is inconceiveable to the natural mind. Also don't you think God is big enough to defend himself? Your going to wear yourself out trying to do that. And even if you manage to prove your point which I'm in no doubt your capable of doing. People will just resent you more because presenting the facts to people with preformed opinions about God will just upset people. Just following and believing is enough, you know the truth be content with that and pray that your example will help others to find him.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I rather like some aspects of Old Religion paganism... Dahud-Ahes is a good one. Goddess of Earthly pleasure.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Swyftstar said:
The Laughing Buddha. I like my Gods happy and kind.
Oh snap, I was gonna say the same. A guy who can stare at a wall for nine years, leaving a hole and a chest with 2 books inside he wrote, one that describes how to kill people and one that describes how to heal them... Sounds like a god to me.

Olivia Faraday

Mar 30, 2011
For which god I enjoy as a character in a story -- it has to be Loki. I have a fondness for all Trickster gods, and good old Loki is the best one of all. He's the odd man out in the Norse pantheon, less of a manly ass kicker and more a sneaky bastard, but he's integral to the storyline and isn't really a villain until right up at Ragnarok itself.

As for which god I would personally follow if I had the capacity to believe in anything spiritual, I actually don't know. Atremis, maybe. She's connected to a lot of things I personally am interested in -- archery, womanhood, the moon. She has a cool storyline and a neat vibe. So maybe her.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I'm fond of the Norse god's in general I can't really pick a specific favourite (I'd probably pick the Norns as a group, while not as rock and roll as Thor their roll is pretty cool and I've liked the idea of knowing past, present and future events just for the point of knowing them), they're all so much more interesting then what's pandered about these days. Although you could say that about most ancient dead religions. Pagan beliefs were also pretty cool.

Also, somewhat of a fan of 'Eldritch Abomination' type. I mean, if there is some sort of cosmic entity out there, its just as likely going to look something like these guys as anything else. Either Cthulhu, or hmm, Azathoth.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Gentleman_Reptile said:
Has a Jackals head?
A Jackal's head? No. A Crocodile's head? Yes

I loves me some Discworld Gods! Offler being my favorite, Om being a second runner-up.

Dec 27, 2010
Lear said:
What about the flooding of the world, destroying almost every living being on the planet? What about the complete destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, children and all? What about the disasters inflicted on the Pharaoh of Egypt because, after being lied to by Abram, took Sarai as a wife believing she was merely Abram's sister? There may be occasional lapses where the vengeance he inflicts upon his followers could be interpreted as love driven, but it's undeniable there is quite a lot of injustice there.
Egypt: God was slow to anger. He started small and moved up to worse and worse to free the Israelites from a very harsh and oppressive slavery; Moses himself killed a slavedriver when he was prince, having watched the slavedriver brutally beat a slave.

Sodom and Gommorrah: Two wicked cities wiped off the face of the Earth here. There's no detail given, but considering the worship of Baal in the area, child sacrifice was probably commited by the residents, and really there would have to be A LOT of wickness there to be wiped off the face of the Earth; Ninevah was given a second chance by God through Jonah. And there is actually explicit reference to children dying in the Egypt scenario, and most there were likely teenagers. Nothing about children in Sodom or Gommorah.

The Great Flood: Please consult the tales of the Hindu goddess Shiva, and the mythology of Sekhemet, then get back to me. God isn't the only one atributed to a great catastrophe.

Abram/Sarai: Wording wasn't clear. But God had NOTHING to do with the events around them. Abram took Hagar as a concubine to have a son, Ishmael, but then God gave Sarai a son with Abram, Isaac, so Abram threw Hagar and Ishmael out into the desert without provocation or any demands from God. No reason to bring that up.
Egypt: I referred to Genesis 12:10- 12:20, not the story of Moses. Reread my post.

Sodom and Gomorrah: I'm sorry, but I find it hard to believe that out of two cities that everyone was wicked, and there were no young children killed when he rained sulfur on the city.

The Great Flood: No doubt about that, but we weren't discussing whether Yahweh was worse than any other deity. I proposed that he simply wasn't a just god, not that he was pure evil in comparison to any other one.

Abram/ Sarai: Sorry, your right, I didn't word that very well. It refers to Genesis 12:10- 12:20, where Abram visits Egypt and lies to the Pharaoh, telling him that Sarai is his sister, not his wife. The Pharaoh then takes her as a wife, and is punished by God for it. He gives Abram his wife back, pays him off and tells him to leave. It seems cruel that God should punish a man for a sin he wasn't aware he was committing, while Abram, the cause of the situation, comes away from it wealthier.

Tomwyr

Sep 9, 2011
What is a god? I'd tend to go with the Real Thing : Google.

To mankind, Google comes closest when considering omniscience, omnipresence and omnibenevolence.
And proof of it's existence is all around us.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Shiva...

I went to a reunion the other day, and the guy I had a crush on told my best friend "She really is like Shiva still" what the hell does that mean? I dance too much when drunk? I destroy things? I am the creator???
Sure I always thought Shiva was cool, and he was always a stoner, but man, I cannot decipher his intentions.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
red the fister said:
the Buddha is more of an ideal than a deity.

*puts on nit picking hat*
How does one "Beng an athist"?
i'll let the other typos slide, because i'm cool like that. but seriously, if you're going to tout science and rationalism, use the damn spell-checker! or risk coming off as a git.

and your Atheism does not make moot other peoples faith. saying that it does makes you come of as pompous, maybe even intolerant.

are you a pompous, intolerant git? i know i'm a jack-ass and several other, less kind adjectives but i hide it well ;-)
He may as well be a deity.

I don't have a spell checker on my browser, but spelling was never my strong point.

I didn't mean it was moot for everyone, I just ment for me personally. It was ment to be read as, don't take this answer seriouly because I don't really care about gods and so my 'favourite' changes with my mood. I'm not uneducaited enough to think that my not caring makes all talk about religion pointless, religion is such a big part of our culture and are world I'd be foolish to think it was somthing not worth talking about.

Pointing out peoples obvious typos does make you come off as a git though.