Which version of 'Hallelujah' do you think is the best?

Images

Apr 8, 2010
The problem I find with most people who sing the song is that they make it a HAPPY song, or a HOPEFUL song. Its supposed to be a dark, miserable song about being in a dark miserable place. I want to scream at peeps who do it with a big smile and teeth.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
I wonder if anybody can take a wild guess as to my answer...

sky14kemea said:
Where's the love for Rufus Wainwright?

Yes I'm aware it's the version used in Shrek. That's where I first heard it and it's been my favourite version ever since. ^^
Cale's version was the one in the actual movie, Wainwright was on the soundtrack.

Anyway, Cale and Buckley are probably tied right behind Wainwright for me. I like Cohen's original composition and everything, but I can't appreciate the actual voice as much.
Oh, well.... I didn't know that xD sorry

Thank you, oh mighty fan of shrek! :0

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Zombie Sodomy said:
I don't understand all you people. Leonard Cohen doesn't sing like most people do, but he has one of the most famous voices in all of music. His alternative style fits perfectly with his voice, and the emotional tone of his lyrics. I've been listening to all the other versions that people have been posting and they just don't fit for me. They are great musicians, some of them at least, but something about it just sounds off to me. I don't own the Shrek soundtrack, I just remember not hearing that line in the movie.
Edit: a lot of the others are good singers from a technical standpoint, but their voices lack the ability to send chills down my spine that Leonard Cohen's has.
Different strokes for different folks.

I find Leonard Cohen's version to be the best as well, and his unique vocal adds weight to the song - even if it isn't technically sound, it's powerful and effective for what the song is.

Images said:
The problem I find with most people who sing the song is that they make it a HAPPY song, or a HOPEFUL song. Its supposed to be a dark, miserable song about being in a dark miserable place. I want to scream at peeps who do it with a big smile and teeth.
And this is why I prefer Leonard Cohen's anything.

KariDean

Oct 28, 2009
The original with one exception my Husband! He is an amazing singer and its one of the first songs I ever heard him sing when we first met.

e033x

Sep 13, 2010
I like this one myself:

More OT: After 1 million really bad renditions by wannabe singers, for which intonation is a foreign word, i can safely say that cannot stand the song in any format.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
My favorite is the one in EOE.
Also we alway sung it in our schoold Xmas service.
It was wuite amazing when you have 1200 girls singing it together.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I prefer John Cale's rendition[footnote]or the cover that everyone else bases their cover off as its sometimes known :p[/footnote]of it, especially this live version of it.

ijoin4thispost

Aug 19, 2013
Carly Rose Soneclar, she was 13 when she sang it on "XFactor" but despite her age sang it better or at least more enjoyably than any other I have heard.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010

Not my favourite version but nobody has posted it yet and I think it deserves mention. I think my favourite version would have to be the Rufus Wainright one.

Props to whoever posted the Kina Grannis one. I only discovered her the other day but she seems pretty great. But speaking of youtubers, another version:

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would have to say this is my all time favorite "Hallelujah."

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist...