WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
http://i.imgur.com/TqYBaSr.png

Welp, this thread has turned out exactly as I expected it to. Grey, I recommend you send the mods a personal apology, they sure deserve it.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Hm... There are clearly references in here that I don't get, and it feels like that lessens the comic's... message(?) a bit. Please don't bother explaining it, thread, I'm stuck listening to both FOXNews and MSNBC all day, almost every day; you don't have to tell me how shit we are as a species.

Thanks for explaining the fedora guy though, thread. I had the impression that it was referencing Yahtzee somehow (yellow and white costume; sweet hat; exaggerated, semi-inflammatory opinions... it's not a difficult jump to make), and the thought disgusted me. But now I know it's some asshat on Reddit, so I can go back to not caring. Stay classy, Escapist.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Welp, this thread has turned out exactly as I expected it to. Grey, I recommend you send the mods a personal apology, they sure deserve it.
The White Guilt-trip is always my favorite part.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Machine Man 1992 said:
Snip

I'd like to ask, why ask the question of why not make a character black if you aren't fishing for a shitstorm? There's no way to answer a loaded question like that without looking like a racist.
Well that part of the comic is at the beginning of the end of a conversation I'd imagine went like this:

Guy #1: ... and the hero is the last survivor of X ( or what have you) out to save the world/land/etc.
Guy #2( the one in the comic): Oh cool, is there a character creator or preset selection to choose from?
G1: Oh no, there's only one lead character design named "Initiate Ben D. Steele".
G2: What's he look like?
G1: blah, blah, white, blah, blah
G2: Oh so he's human? Is everyone white or it's in a isolated region?
G1: No there are other races in the game doing a range of things.
G2: So there's no required reason for him to be any one way?
G1: No, there's no racism, sexism or any other prejudices that occur inside of the game.
G2: Then they could of made a less common kind of human protagonist?
G1: No.
G2: (this is where the comic starts off) If his race doesn't matter,why not make the character black?
G1: (rewording the response) Marketing says a non-white non-male character wouldn't make as much money because reasons unless it's a completely non humanoid life-form like Fox McCloud who's a bipedal fox before you can even think of using any other kind of human being.

A way to answer the question differently? depends on the stance of the decision in the first place.
G2: If his race doesn't matter,why not make the character black?
G1: Well in game there is a story vital history of racism against X by Y.
or
G1: His family history is of a special bloodline that's almost of legend
or: It's a based off of a period setting where current day minorities didn't have the same rights as the general populous in this era so having them not be restrained in some fashion wouldn't be true to the the source material/setting
But then the examples I listed would require the race to matter where the original defense simply claims it just doesn't matter.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
DugMachine said:
anthony87 said:
DugMachine said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Alright there's no way you're not Boudica, just admit it.
I know right?

I said the same thing in another thread.
Looks like Trilligan is back as well. The tag team duo has returned for round 2. Getting my pop corn ready
In fact it was Trilligan that caused me to have Maiev/Boudica suspicions in the first place. Where you see one you're guaranteed to see the other.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Following a suspicious person is "provoking a confrontation" now? Come on, Funk, The guy was Captain of the neighborhood watch - it was his job to follow people he suspected were up to no good.
No. It really isn't. It's his job to report suspicious people to the police.
As it stands, he didn't do anything unlawful by following him around. In addition, he was trying to find the address he was going to, and give to the police.
harassment, intimidation, stalking. Yes actually, following someone around can be classed as a couple of different crimes.
Harassment? The guy didn't say a goddamn word to him.

Intimidation? Are you serious? Martin was 6 foot something and jacked from playing Football. If you think he was intimidated by a middle-aged man, you're delusional.

Stalking? Again, splitting hairs. If following someone down the street is stalking, I should be in handcuffs by the time I finish my neighborhood walks.

Sep 24, 2008
There are times I hate the internet. I call it all the time I deal with other people. Yet I'm the stupid idiot who continues to do so, especially when hot button issues are pushed. I probably should go see someone to figure why that is. Also, even though I have a bit to say on the White Guy Defense Force, and am marveling that people aren't seeing that they are doing exactly what the comic is saying, I choose to not touch that topic as much as I think it will be the most explosive.

Hazy said:
John Funk said:
(Also, the only reason Trayvon was fighting him was because George Zimmerman was stalking him and in doing so provoked a confrontation, winning a fight isn't a capital crime.)
Following a suspicious person is "provoking a confrontation" now? Come on, Funk, The guy was Captain of the neighborhood watch - it was his job to follow people he suspected were up to no good. Had a crime been committed, his ass would have been on the chopping block for negligence.

You can call it racial profiling all you want, but they could be any color - it's simple human nature to be wary around people who look suspicious.

And let's not forget that Martin wasn't the perfect angel that news outlets made him out to be.
Actually, Most Neighborhood watches are a.) volunteer and unpaid and b.) only duties are to keep an eye out and alert the police. Time and time again, police will tell anyone who is in the neighborhood watch that they are not empowered to fight crime or uphold justice. The police say this because it's true and because someone can get seriously hurt. And Lo and behold, someone was.

And frankly, is being a perfect angel the only way that one can feel that it's a crime to have someone's life taken? If we go to the things on record, Zimmerman fought his friends, possibly his wife, and had other incidents. Am I or you ok'ed with taking out a gun and shooting him because he looks suspicious?

It's not relevant what you did in the past, because I have no way of knowing. As no one else does unless they've been stalking someone for quite some time. If you're suspicious now, and I attack you now, I can't use what you did in the past to feel validated. That hasn't been legal with the police for a long time now, so it's definitely not legal for us.

Also, Zimmerman was 'off shift'. So, take that as you will.

jmarquiso said:
You ... you ... managed a Trayvon Martin joke without it being too offensive... you.. I don't know... I don't know...
Eh. I don't know. I kind of winced. Not because it hit home, but because I knew I'd see at least a few people defending Zimmerman again in the thread. Lo and behold I did. A joke that supposedly lampoons a serious topic that just exacerbates the still festering wound isn't really a good thing.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
jluzar20 said:
If people are crying out for more diversity, why not make your own game with whatever character you want instead of getting into pointless internet arguments or producing bad webcomics?
Probably because they don't have the time, funding or talent, although I see your point.
Oh, I'll agree with the funding thing. We've had triple A companies having to fight to keep their protagonist women, or even keep more focus on women other than 'Lol, while you're shooting you can look at these boobs'.

You can just look at a development group and see the diversity in it. But like all projects, it doesn't matter if you're a creative dynamo if you don't have the cash to fund it.

Dead Century said:
Well, I laughed at the Alpha Omega Beta bit. As for Zimmerman, it's not that simple.
First off, Zimmerman isn't white. He's mixed race, leaning towards hispanic. Just saying.
Do yourself a favor. Type in Traycoon in google. See the responses from white people, even if he was mixed race. How a lot of people who have hate in their hearts embrace him for 'doing the world a favor'.

Or, in fact, do yourself a bigger favor: Don't. Humanity will seem better if you don't.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Well, I suppose someone has to pander to the cretins.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Following a suspicious person is "provoking a confrontation" now? Come on, Funk, The guy was Captain of the neighborhood watch - it was his job to follow people he suspected were up to no good.
As it stands, he didn't do anything unlawful by following him around. In addition, he was trying to find the address he was going to, and give to the police.
harassment, intimidation, stalking. Yes actually, following someone around can be classed as a couple of different crimes.
This debate has been done before:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.821937-George-Zimmerman-Found-Not-Guilty?page=1
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/528.822838-George-Zimmerman-emerges-from-hiding-for-truck-crash-rescue

See?
All there.
In the basement. Where it belongs.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
You know, you people who deny that white, heterosexual men can be and are discriminated against (why yes, I am talking about you, three out of four Escapist members) are just as bad as the people who deny that members of other races, homosexuals, and women can be and are discriminated against.

Racism is racism, sexism is sexism, discrimination is discrimination is discrimination. If you deny that it's discrimination because the person being discriminated against isn't part of some traditionally discriminated-against group, then you're probably a racist, sexist, or whatever other "ist" may happen to apply.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
jmarquiso said:
You ... you ... managed a Trayvon Martin joke without it being too offensive... you.. I don't know... I don't know...
Eh. I don't know. I kind of winced. Not because it hit home, but because I knew I'd see at least a few people defending Zimmerman again in the thread. Lo and behold I did. A joke that supposedly lampoons a serious topic that just exacerbates the still festering wound isn't really a good thing.
You are correct here, I should have said that it wasn't offensive to ME, and I'm also a POC, just not in the affected group in this situation so I may have been insensitive there. I apologize.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
ObsidianJones said:
Actually, Most Neighborhood watches are a.) volunteer and unpaid and b.) only duties are to keep an eye out and alert the police. Time and time again, police will tell anyone who is in the neighborhood watch that they are not empowered to fight crime or uphold justice. The police say this because it's true and because someone can get seriously hurt. And Lo and behold, someone was.
True, I edited my initial post.

And frankly, is being a perfect angel the only way that one can feel that it's a crime to have someone's life taken? If we go to the things on record, Zimmerman fought his friends, possibly his wife, and had other incidents. Am I or you ok'ed with taking out a gun and shooting him because he looks suspicious?
He shot him only after Trayvon started assaulting him, so you claim about "shooting him because he looked suspicious" is complete and utter nonsense.

Him being a "perfect angel" was entirely strung up by the liberal media, and wouldn't you know it, people believed it too. The truth is that he sold very dangerous drugs multiple times. That's not very justifiable behavior.

It's not relevant what you did in the past, because I have no way of knowing. As no one else does unless they've been stalking someone for quite some time. If you're suspicious now, and I attack you now, I can't use what you did in the past to feel validated. That hasn't been legal with the police for a long time now, so it's definitely not legal for us.
Again, see above, that wasn't the focal point of this argument - it was meant to level the playing field, and set the record straight that Martin was not just a regular, run of the mill kid.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Is it me, or do some people just need to grow a thicker skin and get over it. I mean the comments here that just don't understand humor, seriously. Grow a sense of humor, guys. You get offended at the slightest mention that some white guys might be racist.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Spot1990 said:
Hazy said:
Harassment? The guy didn't say a goddamn word to him.
Intimidation? Are you serious? Martin was 6 foot something and jacked from playing Football. If you think he was intimidated by a middle-aged man, you're delusional.
Stalking? Again, splitting hairs. If following someone down the street is stalking, I should be in handcuffs by the time I finish my neighborhood walks.
There's a difference between between "going the same direction as someone" and following them. I know this, you know this, don't play dumb.
And what is it, pray tell? I'm dying to know.

Again you don't have to say anything to anyone to harass them, following them is harassment.
Do you mean following them when they don't know you're there? Say I'm following someone in the hallways of school, and they don't realize I'm behind them - is that harassment too?

And intimidation doesn't require the target actually be intimidated. If a guy half my size threatens me, whether I feel threatened or not, his intent is still to threaten me, it's still harassment, it's still a crime.
How do we know his intent was the threaten him at all? He didn't say a single word to him. Typically when someone trys to threaten another, they make their presence known.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
*Looks at all the comments*

Treading on thin ice here >.>

Well, I laughed at it, so I can't really complain... Or should I?

Escapist, help a brotha out here