WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Lucane said:
quenlinlom said:
The author bites his own hands.

Asking the question isn't the same as demanding a change, and the mere fact of the character being (in this case)white isn't racist but trying to justify it with (He's like "Well then maybe people won't be able to identify with him")
as a defense to keep a charter a certain way without the choice being about setting/time period or even just the creators decision. Then saying that everyone(male/female white/Hispanic/black/Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern/Etc Gay/Straight Short/Averge/Tall Obese/Skinny/etc. etc. etc etc. ) who would seek to play it is or should be okay with playing as a white male guy character which implies anything other than a white guy would be an inferior choice to have as the character.

Again this isn't just about if the character is X but rather why it can only be X.
I'd like to ask, why ask the question of why not make a character black if you aren't fishing for a shitstorm? There's no way to answer a loaded question like that without looking like a racist.

Bluelaughter

Dec 7, 2010
Although the comic attacks reactionary extremists well, it goes a little overboard. A problem is that someone might go, 'But wait, I'm white," or big, or buff, or like statistics, or a brony, etc, and mistakenly group themselves with the WGDF. Fitting into one of these categories isn't too unlikely if in the gaming community. If the 4th row of the comic was left out or changed, the comic would have been far less controversial and far funnier. This side attack on 'socially acceptable' things to attack detracts from the original message.

quenlinlom

Sep 13, 2013
Spot1990 said:
quenlinlom said:
FargoDog said:
Oh my God.

You are actually a fucking idiot.

My brain is actually leaking from how stupid you are.
AD HOMINEM ALERT AD HOMINEM ALERT AD HOMINEM ALERT
That's not an ad hominem. It's an insult and i's not clever but it's not an ad hominem guy who suspiciously only created an account to comment on this comic with edited versions of the same. (See that was an implied ad hominem).
>suspiciously only created an account to comment on this comic

>implying new accounts are automatically suspicious

Tinfoil much?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
quenlinlom said:

Image Snipped
False equivalence. In this comic, his race is actually critical to the plot and changing it would actually mean something. Contrasted to the video games he is talking about, where the protagonist is white for purely business reasons and the plot wouldn't be altered if it was changed.
I think the edited version isn't breaking the fourth wall but trying to show the character as doubting himself or feeling bad and the trio are showing up to poorly denounce the idea of changing the game character's race.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Oh fuck it. I give up. Do whatever you want. Your're right and I'm wrong.
I'm glad we finally agree on this topic :D

Zachary Amaranth said:
So, given that, I'm out.
Zachy! ZACHY!

Wait, I'm coming with you.

[HEADING=1]ZACHY WAIT![/HEADING]

Calibanbutcher said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And yet, "people can't take a fucking joke" is NOT okay when used to defend a form of insult you DON'T like.
I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Halp? Someone?
"People who use this defense are rarely able to appreciate jokes that target themselves" I think.

Also Daystar, you might wanna abandon this thread, it's not worth debating here.
Cali-bear, come with me if you want to live!
EUPHORIA-TRANSFORMATION AND HOOOVER AWAAAAY. Let us escape [sub]to the movies[/sub]

(Though I shall enjoy being a spectator to this spectalce)

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
quenlinlom said:
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Could you please make as many of these as possible? They're entertaining.
I didn't make them. Three 4chan boards are currently engaging in editing them: /pol/, /v/, and /fit/.

I couldn't post most of them because The Escapist isn't really a place of unmoderated pure free speech.
Hey guess what... free speech doesn't actually give you the right to say what you want. The escapist is a company and a business, and their website is the way they want it. The views expressed by it's members reflect on the site itself. People say horrific things on 4chan because they are horrific, and that is the image 4chan wants. The escapist doesn't want that image so they moderate it to represent themselves. This is a privately owned website/business... their train set their rules, you choose to go by them and be here, or you go elsewhere.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Kitsune Hunter said:
a dig at Evangelion
That horse was beaten to death a long time ago with this comic. If they continued with that, it'd just be spitting on the grave.
True, but hey, if you're going to make a comic strip that will obviously piss off some people, might as well include the Evangelion fans as well, it is there go to joke after all.

McMarbles said:
Only if Sarkeesian was dressed as Rita Repulsa. That... would be... perfect.
That is genius, good sir, if Grey and Carter read this thread and plan to include the White Guy Defence Guy more in the future, I hope they read this comment.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
This comic was glorious. Maybe the best one they've done yet.

It made me euphoric.

And that's speaking as an atheist brony who frequents video game message boards.

But I will never wear a fedora.
You seem reasonable, I will ask you what does the atheist have anything to do with this comic? I see no religious or anti-religious iconography, or speech on/from any of these characters.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
So, let's try to pull context out of this:

1) Racial minority upset that development group said that "race doesn't matter" but stomps over that with "the character is white because it's relatable". ~~~~Yes, that is racially ignorant of the developers to say. Can't have it both ways, it's one or another: either race does matter because you're targeting a white audience, or race doesn't matter and the nothing is relatable at all, which means the character can be black/white/Latino/whatever.

2) Enter 3 challenged white, heterosexual males with an ignorant statement of being a "minority". And blame Obama for it as well ~~~~Last census in the US still showed 'whites' as the majority (though estimated to change by 2025). Furthermore, the lauding that sexuality or sex separate one's self within their own "racial group" is absurd. I guess this joke is created by the simple fact that white heterosexual males are threatened by female progressiveness, homosexuals, and minorities all at the same time. Funny because it's true. Also, Obama has nothing to do with it at all....just a scapegoat for them to blame self delusional issues on.

3) "Sup, baby. You 'mirin?" ~~~ An emphasis made to assert that these "lunks" only see females as sexual objects that admire their physical presence.

4) Friend Zone/Son Zone. ~~~ I honestly don't quite get the context of this joke. I'll throw a guess that "son" is the white Jersey version of saying "homie", where as "friend" is like in the context of a common word similar to that of Candians use - ex. "Hey, friend". Maybe I'm misunderstanding the joke because I'm not tied to the MTV sewage subculture? I hope that's the reason.

5) "Zimmerman Mode" ~~~ You really went there? Okay, this one has me baffled. I mean, the whole situation was a painful one, but it was a bunch of people yelling "racist" over a crazy man who thought a kid in a dark hoodie, going around the neighborhood late at night, was breaking into houses on his street. Paranoia kicked in and he stalked the hooded figure with a gun...got his ass kicked (don't deny it either, the police reported as such besides the images of him with bloody head wrappings), used said gun, and shot the kid. Zimmerman was Latino, not white...so that's why I'm lost on it's relation to this comic joke. The problem with the whole Zimmerman situation is that the parents of the kid (who couldn't bother fully explaining why their teenager was in that neighborhood, that late at night), as well as other figureheads ('Reverend' Jessie Jackson) were all trying to play the race card in a tragedy that seemed to be at fault of both parties without consideration of race pre-shooting.

Parts of the joke are lost in some context that I don't quite get, but the overall joke of "white heterosexual male 'lunks' are complete idiots" I did enjoy. Thank you.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
quenlinlom said:

Why is it bad that he made the guy asking the question black? That kind of makes sense.

Also; You do realize the answer to the question is that race does matter right?
FargoDog said:
Abomination said:
I present to everyone the supposed correct way to engage in conversation with someone you have an opposing viewpoint to.
Engaging in a civil manner with people like that is like trying to solve a problem with your lawnmower by stopping the blade with your hand.

Impractical.
Kind of true[sub](usually)[/sub], but you shouldn't go down to their level. Then you just look as bad as them. Sorry Fargo, but you could have and should have handled that much better.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
This comic does a complete 360 in hating reactionary extremists and flies directly around into being smug and condescending in the same fashion as said reactionary extremists.

Like is that the joke? Can we not excessively push hot button issues on the escapist for views anymore?

Oh well... I suppose I should just stop reading these. They've just turned into another echo chamber on the escapist for the author to get up on a soap box every week and spout how great they are for having a political belief, ad nauseam.

kk... Done with Critical Miss too now.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Caramel Frappe said:
Why is the White Guy Beta version holding a Twilight Plushie?? How does that even apply to this comic's joke? I don't even XD
Maybe it's added irony to what the character is saying about "white heterosexual males"? After all, those of that same 'type' have issues with trying to make sure to prove their own sexuality while still enjoying a show abut magical rainbows and talking unicorns.

Captcha: Bridgestone Rebate

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I don't know what to call this stuff Critical Miss has been doing, if it is "white knighting" or what, but I want it to stop and I want them to get back to making motherfucking video game comics. Can you do that please?

And I ain't even white.