WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Trilligan said:
Dead Century said:
Trayvon Martin wasn't exactly a decent citizen like some people make him out to be.
I dislike this line of thinking, because it implies that somehow being less than a perfect citizen makes it permissible for somebody to shoot you.
That's not my point. It's almost never really permissible to shoot anyone. But quite probable that if Trayvon Martin didn't have a history of drug abuse and violence, the entire incident might have been avoided.

Anyway, I'm bowing out for the rest of this thread. Enjoy the flames everybody.

Dec 14, 2009
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I don't care.
And this is exactly the problem.

So few people care anymore. Even a little bit of empathy and respect for others apparently requires too much effort, because somehow being on the internet is a free pass to abandon our common humanity.
Oh, I care about people who have a point to make, I have yet to see one.

Ergo, I don't care.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dead Century said:
Fair enough. Race really shouldn't matter, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. My problem with it is, 'white dude kills black kid in cold blood' is an easy narrative to sell to the public. It's not as simple as that, and people need to take the time to exam the circumstances and facts. There wasn't enough to justifiably convict Zimmerman, and Trayvon Martin wasn't exactly a decent citizen like some people make him out to be.
It's funny how he wasn't a multicultural hispanic until there was actually a court case underway, though.

As far as Trayvon being a model citizen, it doesn't matter.

As far as evidence goes, they didn't bother to collect evidence at the time. Not to mention the fact that "stand your ground" is still in play and a ridiculous law. The state of Florida opted not to persecute gangbangers who laid an armed trap for a dude who got killed based on the fact that he "fired first." Which is utterly asinine, because pinning a guy with armed thugs apparently doesn't count as a threat but getting punched in the face after you start a fight does.

Dec 14, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yes, it's a facade, I'm so terribly, terribly depressed, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes. Why, this may very well be the beginning of something new for me!

I'm going to do it! I'll start volunteering at the homeless shelter, start donating money to charity!

Or, you know, none of that ¬_¬

You don't like something? That's fine, you don't like it, not worries.

What does raise questions is why do you care? Other than trying show people the 'error' of their ways in some pseudo-antagonistic fashion?

Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You can think that all you want, but I never think I'm better than anyone.

I mock myself as much as I mock others, so I don't really give a shit if you think I'm being condescending.
It's not a matter of what I think, it's a matter of how you behave.

Mockery is condescending by default. You might be self-deprecating as well but you're not displaying that behavior here, so it really doesn't change your condescension in any way.
That may be the case, but thankfully, I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me, I don't know you, so I don't care.
I care because I thought this was a place for discussion. What I found was a cleverly disguised 4chan. All the hate is there. All the stereotyping. All the memes. Only the targets are different. Nothing is gained. No progress is made. No topic is argued and no points are made. This forum has become a stagnant mess where discussion goes to die, paraded on by faux humor and a tissue thin disguise.

But apparently no one cares.
So why are you still here?

If there's one thing worse than what you accuse this place of being, is sticking around just to tell everyone how mean they are and how they need to take people's feelings into account.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Well that was a tad excessive. People may say offensive shit when anything comes along and shakes up their precious status quo, but you just compared them to a guy that murdered a child.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dead Century said:
That's not my point. It's almost never really permissible to shoot anyone. But quite probable that if Trayvon Martin didn't have a history of drug abuse and violence, the entire incident might have been avoided.
Wait, so he got shot because Zimmerman knew about his history?

what about Zimmerman's history of abuse and violence?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
DaWaffledude said:
...I don't get it. At all. Maybe the Zimmerman bit? Could someone just go through it panel by panel and explain what hte hell it was I just read?
Panel 1: A common problem in comics and video games is the plethora of white, straight, male characters and a dearth of other demographics (or at least in a way that doesn't play toward hetero-normative standards; see Catwoman or pretty much any female superhero). In response, some minor characters, when they get a reboot or reimagining by a new artist will change their race in an effort to add depth or interest in the character (also, publicity so people will actually buy comics).

The usual pushback by critics of the changes usually involves "but now the character doesn't connect with the audience as well," which does suggest that the race of the character is still a factor for human characters even while the same audience are able to connect with totally alien characters (i.e. Fox McCloud). To many, this seems like a double standard stinking of racism. But the moment you mention that...

Panel 2-8: You get the bile flinging rage monsters of the media (particularly the internet) who claim "discrimination" against white males. Beta represents your Rush Limbaugh-types: those who claim that racism/sexism/bigotry is gone except against straight white males. Gamma represents your pseudo-intellectuals who parade around heavily biased/flawed facts to support absurd claims (The chart is likely a reference to this Penny Arcade strip on the subject [http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/12/20]). And Alpha, appropriately, represents the vain Alphamale hypermasculine "douche-bag" who thinks all women are into him and refuses to address his own personality problems that turn everyone else other than himself off.

Panel 9: Essentially the reaction of every rational person trying to have a conversation about diversity and existing social and cultural barriers in which one or more of these "white defenders shows up in" usually abandons the conversation as it tends to be as that tends to be a more productive use of their time. Of course, if they put their hands into their pockets...

Panel 10: there is a hair trigger response that, if are a dark-skinned male, they have a gun. It also is a reference to how if anyone tries to refute their absurd claims with, say, reasonable explanations of institutional barriers, they claim that that person is pulling the "race card."

Panel 11: Andrew Zimmerman was a guy who shot an unarmed black kid in Florida, supposedly in self defense, where there was practically no investigation and he was taken at his word (along with some other shaky circumstances). To many, the case represented the institutional racism in local police departments and how, even decades after the civil rights movement began, there is still a presumption of guilt over the actions of black and brown people (there were also gun issues in that case, but it's not completely relevant to this comic). To some, Zimmerman is a hero for representing shoot-first self-defense.

Panel 12: It's essentially the hypocrisy of those who claim any discussion on the subject of racism is racist while simultaneously engaging in the very kind of activity that demonstrates validity in their claim that race is still an issue (i.e. would they have shot first if he was a white guy?).

Panel 13-14: ... I have no idea what's going on here...

jluzar20

Apr 29, 2013
Maiev Shadowsong said:
That may be the case, but thankfully, I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me, I don't know you, so I don't care.
I care because I thought this was a place for discussion. What I found was a cleverly disguised 4chan. All the hate is there. All the stereotyping. All the memes. Only the targets are different. Nothing is gained. No progress is made. No topic is argued and no points are made. This forum has become a stagnant mess where discussion goes to die, paraded on by faux humor and a tissue thin disguise.

But apparently no one cares.[/quote]

Now you're getting it!

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Oh, is the flamewar finally starting?

http://31.media.tumblr.com/da718499419151a2ac97b328b3f78dc6/tumblr_mqiahhtfSc1sykcx0o1_400.gif

It only took you guys 100 posts and four pages, jeez.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Dead Century said:
How? It's not like Zimmerman ran a background check on him. The only "suspicious" things Martin was doing were walking while black, and defending himself after being chased down by an armed stranger who had no lawful authority to detain him.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ticklefist said:
Well that was a tad excessive. People may say offensive shit when anything comes along and shakes up their precious status quo, but you just compared them to a guy that murdered a child.
But apparently, he was "asking for it."

Dead Century said:
But quite probable that if Trayvon Martin didn't have a history of drug abuse and violence, the entire incident might have been avoided.

Dec 14, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Daystar Clarion said:

If there's one thing worse than what you accuse this place of being, is sticking around just to tell everyone how mean they are and how they need to take people's feelings into account.
I can only speak for myself but I share his opinion on the forums at the moment. Right now the thing that keeps me coming back is some of the user groups, which have good communities.

From time to time I go back to the forums and usually it doesn't take long for me to regret that. Right now I'm here because I'm fucking hungry and I'm trying to kill time until the gulasch is ready though.
To be honest, I haven't been venturing into the forums either, but that's because nobody can take a fucking joke any more.

User Groups are a god send.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Satire only works when you don't actually shit all over the people you are pretending not to.
That's a new and arbitrary rule. Someone had best go inform Mark Twain.

Dec 14, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yes, it's a facade, I'm so terribly, terribly depressed, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes. Why, this may very well be the beginning of something new for me!

I'm going to do it! I'll start volunteering at the homeless shelter, start donating money to charity!

Or, you know, none of that ¬_¬

You don't like something? That's fine, you don't like it, not worries.

What does raise questions is why do you care? Other than trying show people the 'error' of their ways in some pseudo-antagonistic fashion?

Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You can think that all you want, but I never think I'm better than anyone.

I mock myself as much as I mock others, so I don't really give a shit if you think I'm being condescending.
It's not a matter of what I think, it's a matter of how you behave.

Mockery is condescending by default. You might be self-deprecating as well but you're not displaying that behavior here, so it really doesn't change your condescension in any way.

But apparently no one cares.

Read what you just wrote. Now use that in a reply to someone complaining about gender representation in a video game. Don't try to improve or change something! If it's not for you, it's not for you. Leave.

Oh but that's different. Because you're allowed to say it. That's how it works. This is totally different.
Oh, I like to discuss change in important things, gender representation is a very important issues.

This isn't one of them.

Your feelings aren't one of them.