WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO!

Dec 14, 2009
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, I care about people who have a point to make, I have yet to see one.

Ergo, I don't care.
The point, of course, was that your condescending attitude - like the condescending attitudes of many on this forum, and the internet at large, is detrimental. To yourself, to those around you, to society as a whole.

We get caught up in ourselves, in our own apathy, and we think that gives us a free pass to be arrogant and derisive towards others, to mock people who are different, to refuse to accept other points of view, to dismiss people who have ideas that differ from our own. We become isolationist, reactionary, vicious and cruel. We revel in selfishness and narcissism and when someone points it out, asks us to try to be better, we shut down or lash out rather than reflect and even consider the possibility that we might shed some bad habits and grow as people.

My point is that we are working below our ability, and that we could be so much better if we just put in a little effort to be kinder to one another.

And that includes not mocking people. It includes not mocking ourselves. We should culture self respect and respect for others, and we should treasure our commonalities instead of alienating one another for our differences.

It's the only point I've ever tried to make. But you don't care, nobody does.

But the thing about it is, I care.
I don't really agree with your synopsis of what I'm thinking, what with you not being a mind reader.

But at least you presented it in a way that doesn't paint me as a baby eating child molesting baby monster.

So thanks for that, I guess.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
This comic gave me a good ol' laugh, but this thread...five pages in, this just the icing on the cake :p

jluzar20

Apr 29, 2013
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh, I care about people who have a point to make, I have yet to see one.

Ergo, I don't care.
The point, of course, was that your condescending attitude - like the condescending attitudes of many on this forum, and the internet at large, is detrimental. To yourself, to those around you, to society as a whole.

We get caught up in ourselves, in our own apathy, and we think that gives us a free pass to be arrogant and derisive towards others, to mock people who are different, to refuse to accept other points of view, to dismiss people who have ideas that differ from our own. We become isolationist, reactionary, vicious and cruel. We revel in selfishness and narcissism and when someone points it out, asks us to try to be better, we shut down or lash out rather than reflect and even consider the possibility that we might shed some bad habits and grow as people.

My point is that we are working below our ability, and that we could be so much better if we just put in a little effort to be kinder to one another.

And that includes not mocking people. It includes not mocking ourselves. We should culture self respect and respect for others, and we should treasure our commonalities instead of alienating one another for our differences.

It's the only point I've ever tried to make. But you don't care, nobody does.

But the thing about it is, I care.
You give the human race a little too much credit.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And yet, "people can't take a fucking joke" is NOT okay when used to defend a form of insult you DON'T like.
From all appearances, he wasn't defending himself but rather explaining why he doesn't post in the forum much. Which still begs the question: if you think it's such a god-forsaken shithole here, why are you posting so much? If you think nothing can change and this is 4 chan and all that....Why not just leave?

It'd be like dressing up like a stereotypical gay man -- you know the image -- and having someone call you a ****** and some other offensive names. Then you reply by crying and asking them to stop being so silly and mean in the most effeminate voice you can. Sure, you've shown how making fun of people is bad, but you also employed and propagated a harmful trope.
I like your neatly constructed artificial parallel, but it has little to no bearing here.

Dec 14, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Yes, it's a facade, I'm so terribly, terribly depressed, thank you, thank you for opening my eyes. Why, this may very well be the beginning of something new for me!

I'm going to do it! I'll start volunteering at the homeless shelter, start donating money to charity!

Or, you know, none of that ¬_¬

You don't like something? That's fine, you don't like it, not worries.

What does raise questions is why do you care? Other than trying show people the 'error' of their ways in some pseudo-antagonistic fashion?

Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You can think that all you want, but I never think I'm better than anyone.

I mock myself as much as I mock others, so I don't really give a shit if you think I'm being condescending.
It's not a matter of what I think, it's a matter of how you behave.

Mockery is condescending by default. You might be self-deprecating as well but you're not displaying that behavior here, so it really doesn't change your condescension in any way.
That may be the case, but thankfully, I don't particularly care what strangers on the internet think of me, I don't know you, so I don't care.
I care because I thought this was a place for discussion. What I found was a cleverly disguised 4chan. All the hate is there. All the stereotyping. All the memes. Only the targets are different. Nothing is gained. No progress is made. No topic is argued and no points are made. This forum has become a stagnant mess where discussion goes to die, paraded on by faux humor and a tissue thin disguise.

But apparently no one cares.
So why are you still here?

If there's one thing worse than what you accuse this place of being, is sticking around just to tell everyone how mean they are and how they need to take people's feelings into account.
Read what you just wrote. Now use that in a reply to someone complaining about gender representation in a video game. Don't try to improve or change something! If it's not for you, it's not for you. Leave.

Oh but that's different. Because you're allowed to say it. That's how it works. This is totally different.
Oh, I like to discuss change in important things, gender representation is a very important issues.

This isn't one of them.

Your feelings aren't one of them.
"Your feeling don't matter. I'm not going to discuss this issue that offends you."

I hope you never, ever enter into a discussion wherein a group such as women or homosexuals or transsexuals is being mocked. Because remember, your feelings aren't important. Get over it, right?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You (the royal you, not you) are right. "They" are wrong. Make fun of them. Ignore their points. They don't matter. But they sure as shit better not do the same! Or else they are clearly trolls or assholes.

The issue matters.

Your feelings do not. Your feelings on the matter don't interest me in the slightest, only the facts. Can't present an opinion that isn't mired in hyperbole? Then I have no reason to care.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ragsnstitches said:
Wow... this comic has a little something for everyone doesn't it. I definitely laughed though... laughed more then any other Critical Miss strip.

Around the point where they all shouted "Zimmerman mode Activate" I knew this was going to be something special in the near future.

Eternal_Lament said:
Of all the things that attract attention in this comic, of all the things that draw one's eye, one thing sticks out to me:

.....what exactly is the "Son zone"?
I don't really know, but I was thinking of the "Son, I am disappoint" meme when I read it.
given the context... (most of the chart is 'friendzone' IE 'won't sleep with you because she sees you as a friend') Son Zone can be summed up as 'won't sleep with you as she sees you as/you are her son'.

Dec 14, 2009
Trilligan said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I don't really agree with your synopsis of what I'm thinking, what with you not being a mind reader.
I can't read minds, no. So all I have is your behavior. And that's what I see in your behavior.

Maybe your future behavior will prove me wrong.

jluzar20 said:
You give the human race a little too much credit.
God I hope not.

Whelp, I can't please all of the people all of the time.

You don't like my behaviour, that's fair enough. I don't care about skin colour, gender, sexual preferences, if I think something is funny, I'll laugh, whether it be at my expense or someone else's.

I'm ethnically and sexually diverse like that. Give me a medal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RipVanTinkle said:
This comic gave me a good ol' laugh, but this thread...five pages in, this just the icing on the cake :p

This isn't on topic, but I'm having a really shitty day and that gif is the first thing to bring a smile to my face.

Intentional or not, thanks for that.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
quenlinlom said:
The author bites his own hands.

It's par for the course with Critical Miss really.
What did you expect? Insightful social commentary?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Maiev Shadowsong said:
Explain how it has no bearing. The comic used stereotypes and mocking imagery. You are arguing they did it to point out that doing that is not okay, especially when you turn around and complain about people doing that to you.
Explain how it has bearing. "It uses stereotypes and mocking imagery" doesn't make your case. But if your explanation is as dishonest as you putting words in my mouth, then I'm out of here anyway. So if you're seriously about the discussion you're claiming is absent, choose your words carefully.

Dec 14, 2009
Spot1990 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Maiev Shadowsong said:
And yet, "people can't take a fucking joke" is NOT okay when used to defend a form of insult you DON'T like.
I'm not entirely sure what this means.

Halp? Someone?
He means that if you say something racist or sexist "it's just a joke" isn't a defense. Because apparently belittling someone for their race and belittling someone for holding ridiculous, outdated beliefs that have no place in contemporary society are the same. It's the whole "if you dislike prejudice then you shouldn't be prejudiced against people who are prejudiced" or "shut up and let me be racist in peace" argument.
But...

But making fun of racists and sexists is fun...

Don't take that away from me T-T