White Knights, the true enemies of sexual equality.

Nikki Fallingstar

Burning Heretics
Jul 22, 2010
geK0 said:
Sticks up for a woman.
Is a white knight and therefore a sexist.

Doesn't stick up for a woman.
Is a terrible person (and a sexist)

well shit.....
Oh, nifty! A catch-22!

On topic: I like being stuck up for! I suck at fighting my own battles.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I agree with the OP in half. The other half i have to say genuinely nice guys exist (Or nice lasses) that will call anyone up on their BS no matter who it's directed at. But this is the internet and the White Knights exist in their abundance. Of course the only people who don't know this are the white knights themselves who think themselves clever and not obviously teenage lechers.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
I think people defending other people is always a good thing, unless the people they're defending are actually in the wrong and deserve the thrashing they're getting.

Sure, if they've got a notion that women owe them sexual favours or whatever for this defense, that's pretty douchey, but that's more their problem since they're just going to be continually disappointed that way.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Caffiene said:
Lilani said:
Montezuma said:
There is nothing wrong with a man telling someone they're out of line for treating a woman badly, just as there is nothing wrong with a woman telling someone they're out of line of treating a man badly. People should defend people when they're being treated unfairly. Period.
Well said.

This is my problem with the OP. The problem isnt with their statement that there is a difference between how men defend some women on the internet and how others act. The problem is with the casual assumption that men dont also deserve to be defended by women if they are being bullied; that not defending others is the natural or correct state.

The assumption that because someone is capable of defending themselves they automatically must be left to defend themself without any assistance is based on... pretty much nothing. Theres no reason that a man shouldnt defend a man, a woman defend a man, or a woman defend a woman.

And, additionally, the OP does the exact same thing it calls out people for doing: It is defending women, who presumably are perfectly able to defend themselves. It calls out men for defending women, as though the women arent capable of telling men for themselves whether or not they appreciate being defended. It seems to me that the OP is nothing more than white-knighting against other white-knights. If the OP believed their own post, they would have left it to the women in question to tell the man they dont need to be defended, instead of doing it for them.
Wow, you should post more often. I'd love to see more than 63 of these.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
I agree with some, but I disagree with some of what the OP said as well... My only view of a White Knight (In otherwords, someone who displays Chauvinistic characteristics) is someone who views a woman as an inherently weak and feeble creature that cannot defend herself and needs a "Man" to defend her. I believe the major issue behind this is the fact that it reinforces the old time belief that women are naturally inferior and therefore must be subservient to man. Woman is a slave, a baby-maker, a house-wife, but she cannot take positions of power or authority. I find that to be the true worst qualities of a White Knight (Not that all display such traits to such extremes, I'm more describing the epitome or the most extreme of White Knights).

A woman can defend herself if she is able, but it doesn't mean that they can always do things on their own, just the same of a man in trouble or a child. Helping someone who is in trouble, regardless of gender isn't bad. If you help out a woman, you're not a bad person who is treating her as an inferior being, unless you end up doing it even when she is able to do it on her own just because you feel she cannot do it on her own. I guess it is more the reason behind the deed more than the deed itself.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DarkRyter said:
I would have thought rapists were worse.
Kinda seemed logical.

OT: I'm a bit of a white knight, but it's not because I think women are better than men. It's because, generally, men are hardwired to care about women in danger more then men in danger. Sexist? Probably. But it's what is, for the most part. It's why the rallying cry of "women and children first" in various disasters throughout history became a thing.

And don't bother belching "I don't feel this way! Your argument is invalid!" I've seen enough behavior in history and day-to-day life to detect the phenomenon, and you possibly not being the same (assuming you're not lying on the internet to make a point) doesn't invalidate the idea for humans in general.

At any rate, if I'm going to jump to someone's defense, it'll be because they're being attacked by multiple people, I feel strongly about the subject, or because I'm in a bad mood, not because it's a girl that I'm contractually obligated to bail out of internet arguments.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
You've been on the internet right? People spew bile at everyone and everything. Hell, even I do it. There's a stereotype for every ethnicity, group, gender. If I, or anyone in an online game, gets the slightest hint of your demographic, we will tear it apart in an attempt to get to you. If we don't know we take our best guess. This is the nature of online gaming, and half the reason I love it so much. Nothing is sacred.

Are you a girl with an obvious name or using a mic? You bet I'm going to try my best to upset you. Same goes if your username hints at your real life name, nationality, or you happen to have an accent or a lisp. I'm not actually sexist, racist or homophobic. , and in many cases your team mates. I don't care if you're the nicest person alive or you belong to my own demographic. I'll still try my best to see if I can't make you ashamed you exist, or worse, make you sink to my level.
...?

WHY? there is no reason for that

for example...ok, I can understnad getting annoyed with somone with the user name "gamer_chic" and being all "IM A GURL AND I PLAY GAMEZ!!!"

but this? this is just trolling, this is just being fucking awful for no godamn reason other than "its the internetz duuuhhh"

and no the "point" of playing online is to play the fucking game (thats how you destroy your opponents) ...not act like a twat

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
anyway...why cant we all just be civil to each other? regardless of gender

and to be honest I havnt been treated too badly online...but that said I probabl havnt hung around the right parts

Adrian Neyland

Apr 20, 2011
I agree and disagree, sort of. I don't think that helping someone is dehumanizing. I do agree that treating someone as a helpless damsel in destress is as bad as the perpetrators, but chivalry is not nessasarly a bad thing. Treat prople as fucking people, be polite but not patronizing. It is very possible to be nice and helpful and even to jump to someones defense without patronizing that person. It is possible to just be nice.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Vault101 said:
...?

for example...ok, I can understnad somone with the unser name "gamer_chic" and being all "IM A GURL AND I PLAY GAMEZ!!!"

but this? this is just trolling, this is just being fucking awful for no godamn reason other than "its the internetz duuuhhh"

and no the "point" of playing online is to play the fucking game (thats how you destroy your opponents) ...not act like a twat
Presumably you have played an online game and seen how people behave. You can adopt that behaviour or you can suffer it. I found that if I stop taking it seriously and accept it for the epic trolling that it is, and even join in, I can have a lot more fun. More fun than I can have by sticking my nose up at it and being content in my percieved maturity and superiority.

I was quite horrified and disgusted by it when I first stepped into the world of online gaming, but I've grown quite fond of the anarchistic shitfest it breeds due to its lack of moderation. I'd be rather upset if it was taken away from me. What you have to realise is that these people rarely mean what they say. From my experience they're not actually bigotted- they just want to make you cry. Is that really so wrong?

beniki

May 28, 2009
I don't see anything wrong with White Knights. Being kind to someone for any reason is a good thing. I certainly don't think apathy or indifference is something anyone wants.

As for chivalry being dead... well, I have yet to see someone scowl at me for keeping a door open, or for offering to help carry a push chair up stairs. So in light of my anecdotal evidence, I'm going to say the OP is incorrect, or not in possession of all the facts.

UltimaEX

Dec 17, 2010
If someone is actually sexist, wouldn't they be more inclined to listen to a man rather than a woman, ignoring the woman's counter-arguments?

Also: i don't care WHY your being nice, the fact your being nice is fine.
If you are nice in order to feel some sense of self gratification, that is fine.

Sewora

May 5, 2009
It's quite arrogant to say that just because you leap to a womans defense you're a bad person? Probably been mentioned, but I'd leap to the aid of a woman in distress any day, whether she's being mugged, raped or beaten. Same thing applies on the internet to a certain degree.
Regularly, not always though, men have more power on the internet and has a better chance of making a difference.
A man who's being abusive towards a woman isn't going to stop because the woman tells him to stop, she's in essence defenseless against the disgusting behaviour of sexist pigs on the internet, with the exception of just ignoring the guy.
And I have no idea of where you're getting your facts, but these "nice guys" that you mention, which I am a part of, don't just leap to the aid of women, but people of either gender and any age.

Why? There's power in numbers. I was bullied in school for years, think anyone ever helped me or even cared? Nope. Would I like someone to care? Yes.

So I'm the kind of guy who immediately reacts to someone else being abusive to another person, because it's immoral and stupid.
Even if you can't get him to stop, you can get the abused person to know that he or she is not alone, and that there are good, decent people around.

And yes, I've become attracted to women I've defended in such situations, but generally I don't. I am in fact a nice guy, so I will be nice regardless of gender and possibility of sexual conquest.

So what you're doing is generalizing a large portion of mankind based on what I would believe is your own perception of your own personality.
I'm fairly certain that you're either of two possible choices. An abusive sexist man who hates guys who defend women, or a guy who defends women but never gets laid because of it.
Perhaps I sound cruel when I say I believe that, but why else would anyone in their right mind believe that all men who aid others are sexist ponces?

It makes no sense.

Should we start calling administrators on forums and gameservers sexist geezes because they punish the wicked? Where does it end? At what point does it become okay to care for other human beings?

Sewora

May 5, 2009
Tenno said:
this is the same bullshit that leads guys to getting yelled at for holding doors open (that legit happend to me once, apparently manners are sexist now)
You know what's funny? The general idea of the OP's post is that if you help women to appear less sexist, you are more sexist.

How about the guy who calls the white knight sexist? Why is he posting that instead of letting women defend themselves? His entire post backfires on him because he is the exact same kind of person he's accusing others of being.

To put it simple: To not be sexist you need to be quiet and say nothing.

Kingshadow6

Dec 25, 2008
Montezuma said:
On the Internet, women are treated like shit.

This is a fact of our current existence, and if you refuse to accept it, leave the thread now.
Sorry, but any time I hear this, I see someone trying to get acceptance for their belief, not meaningful discussion on a topic. By posting those two sentences, you just made it so that anyone who disagrees with your opinion can no longer voice theirs.

Personally, I disagree. I notice that the only women who tend to be harassed are those that put themselves in a position to do so. There are many women (even most on this site), that aren't treated like crap. The girls in my WoW guild were sure as hell not treated like crap, there are many forums out there aside from this one that have very nice communities, unfortunately, people only remember the bad when it comes to this subject.

OT: Yes, white knighting isn't getting us anywhere as a culture, but I still see it as better than the alternative. Oftentimes a white knight is the closest thing to a decent community member that some sites have. Personally, I'd rather see some members of the community getting help from each other, no matter the why, than everybody being jerks to everybody. If you want a white knight to stop helping you, tell them that. If you want to be able to defend yourself, voice that opinion. You claim that they take away your right to self defense, when, in reality, you give that to them when you let them defend you. Nobody can take that right away from you.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
Vault101 said:
...?

for example...ok, I can understnad somone with the unser name "gamer_chic" and being all "IM A GURL AND I PLAY GAMEZ!!!"

Presumably you have played an online game and seen how people behave. You can adopt that behaviour or you can suffer it. I found that if I stop taking it seriously and accept it for the epic trolling that it is, and even join in, I can have a lot more fun. More fun than I can have by sticking my nose up at it and being content in my percieved maturity and superiority.

I was quite horrified and disgusted by it when I first stepped into the world of online gaming, but I've grown quite fond of the anarchistic shitfest it breeds due to its lack of moderation. I'd be rather upset if it was taken away from me. What you have to realise is that these people rarely mean what they say. From my experience they're not actually bigotted- they just want to make you cry. Is that really so wrong?
"More fun than I can have by sticking my nose up at it and being content in my percieved maturity and superiority."

I dont liek the implication there...thats not how I feel at all, and I dont think its right to bag peopel for wanting to be civil

oh SURE I can find it amusing enough, but I still dont agree and most of time I woulnt be a dick like that...(unless I did it unintentionally by getting really annoyed and fighting back with all the venom I could muster...you knwo fi my patience was pushed enough)

but again, I wont intentionally adopt that behaviour, I'll just use mute if it bothers me that much, and respond by playing the game and winning

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Montezuma said:
On the Internet, women are treated like shit.

This is a fact of our current existence, and if you refuse to accept it, leave the thread now.
I refuse it, because it's only part of whole statement.

On the Internet everybody is treated like a shit. There are a few places with high standards, but man, it's easier to find decent vampire...

...and to be honest, it's good. Like one wise man said once, Internet is a playground. Nothing more. It shopuldn't be taken seriously. It can't be. Every attempt to make it a more civilized place is simply atrocity in my eyes. It should forever stay wild, untamed, Humanity's last bastion of freedom.

That's my 5 cents.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Maybe that's what they're doing (leaping to the defense of a person not a woman)? Maybe YOU'RE the sexist for assuming they're doing it because it's a woman? I kid of course but sexism, like racism, is complicated. It doesn't matter if you do something or don't do something it's considered racism/sexism/ect in somebodies mind so you just can't win. So just don't worry about it and do what you feel is right.