White Luke Cage

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
So I was reading up on the DC Universe, and it turns out they have an entire earth were the superheroes genders are swapped and that got me thinking....

Why don't they have a universe where everyone's race would be swapped? So you'd have Black Batman, Black Superman, Asian Green Lantern... and most importantly, WHITE LUKE CAGE! I mean, why not?

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Because...there's no such thing as opposite races? Why would Green Lantern be Asian, but Batman and Superman be black? Why would Luke Cage be white, and not Hispanic or Asian, or even Middle Eastern?

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Because either it wouldn't really change much, or it would get really racist really quickly.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
wintercoat said:
Because...there's no such thing as opposite races? Why would Green Lantern be Asian, but Batman and Superman be black? Why would Luke Cage be white, and not Hispanic or Asian, or even Middle Eastern?
Well you know what I mean. Everyone just swap races.

And why white luke cage? White people are trading White Superman and White Batman for him.

And like, Black Aquaman will have to fight WhiteManta.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TheAbominableDan said:
Well, Luke Cage is Marvel and the rest of the ones you listed are DC. So such a universe could not exist.
All the more reason. We have Black Nick Fury now, the time is right for White Luke Cage! The world is ready!

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Why do you want Luke Cage to be white?
Do you not like black Luke Cage, could it be that you are racist?

All joking aside, I think the reason why it hasn't happened is that it'd be very uninteresting because it would be the same people just in a different colour, or whoever writes it would look like a racist, those are the reasons why I think it doesn't exist.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009

Yeah, that's Obama as Superman. I'm ok with this.

wintercoat said:
Have to agree with this. Race isn't a binary thing... Wait a minute. Now I'm thinking: in the universe where genders are swapped, what happens to transgendered characters? Hermaphrodites?

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
TheAbominableDan said:
Well, Luke Cage is Marvel and the rest of the ones you listed are DC. So such a universe could not exist.
That was exactly what I was thinking.

Also, someone somewhere would still scream over that change :p

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Isn't Luke Cage a Marvel hero? He wouldn't be in a Blacksploitation that kind of altered DC Universe but rather a Marvel one. Also the Green Lantern corps employees all sorts of races and genders and whatnot.

I am very curious to see someone do a blacksploitation film based around the DC universe now. Like really, really bad too: think Black Dynamite only with the core Justice League members. I'm just going to daydream for a while now.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
The original Nick Cage was white...

It's the alternate universe Cage that's the black one.

edit: Hang on, I'm thinking of the wrong character here aren't I?

*facepalm*

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
GiantRaven said:

*facepalm*
wow I'm high... I thought you were talking about the actor.

I was like waht? BLACK GHOST RIDER?!

There we go, thats my campaign ticket. White Luke Cage, Black Ghost Rider.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
SaneAmongInsane said:
TheAbominableDan said:
All the more reason. We have Black Nick Fury now, the time is right for White Luke Cage! The world is ready!
Only the Ultimate Universe's Nick Fury is black. Normal Marvel 616 is the old fashioned white Nick Fury still.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Starik20X6 said:
Have to agree with this. Race isn't a binary thing... Wait a minute. Now I'm thinking: in the universe where genders are swapped, what happens to transgendered characters? Hermaphrodites?
I'd imagine transgendered characters (do those even exist in the DC universe?) would just reverse their own gender swap, so someone who was born male but felt female would be the other way around and vice versa, while hermaphrodites would either not change or have the opposite problem (boobs and a penis to a beard with a vagina, and so on), depending on what they had to begin with.

And I agree; race isn't a binary thing, although to see the race distribution in comics, you could be excused for not realizing it. Seriously, I can name maybe three or four black heroes, no Hispanic or Asian heroes, one Asian villain, one Native American hero (if I'm remembering right) and then everyone else is white. Not a good mix.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
So I was reading up on the DC Universe, and it turns out they have an entire earth were the superheroes genders are swapped and that got me thinking....

Why don't they have a universe where everyone's race would be swapped? So you'd have Black Batman, Black Superman, Asian Green Lantern... and most importantly, WHITE LUKE CAGE! I mean, why not?
....Except Luke Cage is from Marvel, not DC, making the argument a tad bit lackluster, but basically its because there isn't a polar opposite in race like there is in gender. It would also fuck up a lot of characters (See the Black Panther).

Also, wanting a White Luke Cage seems really stupid in my opinion. The character is famous because he was the first black superhero to have success in his own comic. In a sense, several people consider him to be the character who broke the color barrier of Marvel Comics. The only reason why they changed Nick Fury's skin color is largely because Marvel believed they could get away with it, its not the same situation with Cage.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
GiantRaven said:

*facepalm*
wow I'm high... I thought you were talking about the actor.

I was like waht? BLACK GHOST RIDER?!

There we go, thats my campaign ticket. White Luke Cage, Black Ghost Rider.
Oh man I didn't even realise I wrote 'Nick' instead of 'Luke'.

My post was just one big pile of fail really. Serves me right for commenting even though I don't read Marvel comics.

-.-

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Starik20X6 said:
I'd imagine transgendered characters (do those even exist in the DC universe?) would just reverse their own gender swap, so someone who was born male but felt female would be the other way around and vice versa, while hermaphrodites would either not change or have the opposite problem (boobs and a penis to a beard with a vagina, and so on), depending on what they had to begin with.

And I agree; race isn't a binary thing, although to see the race distribution in comics, you could be excused for not realizing it. Seriously, I can name maybe three or four black heroes, no Hispanic or Asian heroes, one Asian villain, one Native American hero (if I'm remembering right) and then everyone else is white. Not a good mix.
I can think of a couple of hispanic heroes, there's the current Blue Beetle, that ninja in the Marvel Universe called Echo, Mas y Menos on the DC Univerese [small](I hate them)[/small], I think there is also maybe a spider girl type character called Araña, and that's about it, kinda weird that I knew that since I don't read comics, I don't know of other races though.