White males only scholarship

Dr.A

Jun 3, 2010
lunncal said:
Of-course this is bad, and this is racist. Treating people differently depending on race is racism. True, the ones run by the government are wrong too, but it's simply pathetic to get back by doing the same thing you are supposedly trying to prevent.
You find this to be an "F you!" to all the minority-race based scholarships? It's more of a "How about we give even MORE people a chance?" kind of thing.

Just because there's not anything "wrong" with someone (and I use "wrong" extremely loosely here for lack of a better term), doesn't mean they shouldn't deserve a helping hand too. College is hard, damn it.

I haven't had much experience with not being able to apply for scholarships based on race. It only happened maybe...three times. Being from such a small town (little over...2000 people) in our own little corner of the country, we're pretty much secluded from everything that every other person has to deal with. So yeah, instead of not being able to apply for a scholarship because of my race (because I was neither black nor, more importantly, native american) I got snuffed on scholarships because my family didn't buy stuff from nor work for a number of businesses in town. Because that's where aaaaall of the scholarship money pretty much came from around there.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I've come across scholarships for the absurdest things, although most of them do in fact have some sort of ethnic and/or social requirement. If a black, asian, latino, canadian (*shakes fist*), puerto rican, etc students qualify for scholarships purely based on their ethnicity, gender, and country of birth, why not have one for white males as well? Hey, equality and all that...

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Maybe things have changed in the 4 years I haven't been in college. But I am, White, Male, and Tall and was able to get tons of scholarships based on grades and or an essay. There are plenty of partial scholarships that don't really specify to anything other than 'your major is..'

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
This is great, finally people are practising equality instead of just preaching it. And to the couple of people bitching about how this is racism, just because it's for white guys and white people have the power in America, it doesn't mean that rich white men will be applying. There are plenty of poor white guys who can take this chance just as there are plenty of poor black guys or cripples or Mexican legal immigrants or whatever. It's just another demographic that's been overlooked because it's part of a larger majority group (whites; I refuse to use the word 'caucasian' because caucasia is in Colombia, and fuck, I've never been to colombia, and caucassus is Chechnya, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Adyghea, Kabardino-Balkaria, Karachai-Cherkessia, North Ossetia, Krasnodar Krai, Stavropol Krai, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia.), which instantly means that there are no individuals as poorly off as those from other groups, doesn't it?

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
Penguinness said:
@Brawndo - I see a pattern in your topics. Though they do seem to try and spark rage, I guess there's nothing wrong with them, yet.
You have to admit that controversial, rage-inducing threads are usually the most interesting ones. If not, we can just go back to filling the first page of Off-topic with those terrible "What is your favorite band/ice cream flavor/anime/sci-fi movie" style threads that result in zero conversation and 10+ pages of replies of people giving their answers that no one else reads.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Hashime said:
I can say that white heterosexual males have almost NO SCHOLARSHIPS available to them. I have made a thread about this before. I looked for 2 months for a scholarship for a white male engineering student, and besides automatically applied merit scholarships I found nothing.

It is good that he has made this scholarship. If I get loaded I will do the same for engineering students.
if your a marine engineer you can get a cadetship,

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
LetalisK said:
HOW DARE THEY! White people are rich and can always afford college. There is no such thing as a poor white college student. How can anyone be in favor of this!?

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!!

OT: I think this is great! long live whoever made this thingy

fordneagles

Dec 22, 2010
The Heterosexual, Atheistic Caucasian Male: The Only Minority That Isn't A Minority

I wrote an essay on this once :D It kinda started out as taking the mickey, but once I put a bit of time into it, I realised that it is actually true, especially when it comes to financial aid. The most common requirements for scholarships and/or other financial support are race and gender, but there can also be religion, sexuality, disability, age, nationality, geographical region, to name a few. White guys are the only ones who don't fit any of the criteria. I'm not saying every other minority shouldn't get any help or anything like that, I just find it humourous that white guys aren't considered a minority when every single other person on Earth is considered one for some reason or another.

I reckon good on them, personally. Good thing they made this scholarship AFTER the scholarships for every other minority were already established :p There would have been no end to the incessant honking of the politically correct otherwise

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Ok, another scholarship. I do agree there are few of these for white males, but I also agree people can do what they want with their money.

Woodsey said:
Surely they could award scholarships based on individual cases, not race?
Well, the fear in that case is people are just going to be racist anyway. May as well be up front about it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
crudus said:
Ok, another scholarship. I do agree there are few of these for white males, but I also agree people can do what they want with their money.

Woodsey said:
Surely they could award scholarships based on individual cases, not race?
Well, the fear in that case is people are just going to be racist anyway. May as well be up front about it.
Or you could hire well-balanced people to handle it.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
mexicola said:
I guess we should make controversy about this but I don't see one nor do I particularly care even if there was one. As long as someone who needs the money gets the scholarship who the fuck cares.
Literally the only comment in this thread worth reading.
No one should have to slew their way through the numerous repeated comments about this "not being racist at all" from the white knights of the internet.
No pun intended...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
How about they kill ALL patronizing race-based scholarships and open them up to everyone?

Seriously, the "color-blind nation" sentiment doesn't exist anymore.

Mike Laserbeam

Dec 10, 2010
It's not a good thing, but it's not terrible.
I see what they're trying to do here but the fact is that they're excluding everyone that isn't white-male. If this scholarship was for anybody? That would be a good thing. But it isn't. So it's not.

I don't really get what kind of system is usually in place in the US, but applying for universities in the UK there are quite a few scholarships available and they seem to be for the people that need them, and for people that deserve them.
If I do well enough to get into a particular university and my family's income falls under a certain amount per year, the opportunity for me to get a scholarship is available to me, no matter my background. I think it's stupid that these people can't do the same, and I feel sorry for people who won't be able to afford higher education because some racist officials say they don't fit into a certain racial category, be it white or not.

Mar 9, 2010
I still don't see why you would get a scholarship for being white, black or otherwise. I'm in favour of this but I'd rather the entire 'scholarship based on race' was just abolished anyway. The whole thing is just a little too racist if you ask me.