White People! Are you offended being called a "Cracka"?

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
It's a way of referring to someone by their race and can be used in a derogatory manner. That makes it a racial slur.

It irritates me but doesn't offend me. Then again there aren't a great deal of things that I would be offended by in the same manner or magnitude as a black person called "******".

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I don't think I'd be offended, maybe I'd be caught a little off guard at first but then I'd be all

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Not in the slightest. I don't really get it myself, because I fail to see the correlation between Jacobs cream crackers and a white person/me.

It'd be more offensive if they called me a washing line. Then again I have tough skin when it comes to taunts and insults so it's all gravy.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Lilani said:
Magenera said:
You didn't know that Cracker/cracka was a racial slur? Also my ancestors where enslaved and sold by group's of my own race, slavery then and still now is a business that prevails. As I said before in another thread the Defense might have done a reversal. But yeah it is a racial slur that probably means shit to white people as a whole.
The difference between "******" and "cracker" in my mind is that "******" has actually been used to refer to people who are actually being subjugated and treated in the most vile ways. "Cracker" has no such historical background in blood and torture, or at least not in such a widespread manner, which is why it "probably means shit to white people as a whole."

I believe this is also why sexist/stereotypical images of men[footnote]The bumbling father who doesn't know how to clean house properly, the manchild who refuses to clean a house properly, etc.[/footnote] are still acceptable in media rather than sexist/stereotypical images of women[footnote]The subservient housewife, the woman who doesn't know a hammer from a screwdriver, the woman who can't drive, etc.[/footnote]. One of them has only been used in media to poke fun at a gender. The other represents opinions and notions actually held against the gender in the past, and still to a certain extent in the present. It is considered more offensive to say "Women can't drive" than "Men can't clean a house properly" because there was once a point in time where it was actually felt that women couldn't drive, and in many places laws were put in place to either prohibit or severely handicap women when driving. The idea's still got a bit of a sting to it.

I'm not saying this is right by any means, however I think it is perfectly logical that a term or idea which has no historical significance or potency in its use would be more acceptable. It's not a matter of "double standards" or "reverse racism" or "reverse sexism." It's simply the historical baggage that certain terms and ideas carry.
I agree completely. The key point here, however, is your last section. One being way worse does not excuse the other.
Neither is acceptable.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I don't let anything offend me. I call my friends the n-word and they don't give a shit either.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Doesn't bother me one bit. I mean why should it bother me when it sounds more like a bad joke to describe someone instead of a word that has a whole history of pure hate in it? Racist words or not people will say hateful things to each other even if such words strike a cord or not. Also just because one may say a racial word to another does not mean one is automatically racist no matter which race they may be. If you are considered a racist for saying hateful words to a person with not the intent of hurting anyone but that persons feelings, then people are way to uptight... I mean everyone I ever knew has said a racial or stereotypical comment on another person be it that they are a different race or not. Also none of the people I know mean what they say or mean it to group all of one race as one and the same, except two people I know do that...

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Technically it is a racial slur, but it's not offensive to me... or any white person I know of for that matter.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I've never had racial remarks made towards me, but i've had friends who've been slighted due to race. However, if someone were to try, it would likely lower my value of their opinions.

Strazdas said:
not what i was talking about. The word itself is a expression construct and not a word. its like saying " the dog au at him because he didnt know him". no, the dog barked, and au is the sound he made. and you dont flabbergast. the word itself is a false construct.
Flabbergasted is a colloquial synonym for astonishment, surprise or shock. It can be used in the place of those words (among others). If used in present tense (i.e.flabbergast), it changes from, 'it happened' (e.g. "He was flabbergasted") to 'it's about to happen' (e.g. "this will flabbergast him"). The past tense term flabbergasted is more typically used in speech, than the present tense term flabbergast, because words like shock and astonish can have different meaning in different languages.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
HellbirdIV said:
It's also worth noting that black Africans have enslaved eachother just as long as Europeans, Middle Easterners, Asians and Native Americans have; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Africa

I hate to be the one to bring actual history to the table, but the Trans-Atlantic, North American slave trade did not invent slavery as a concept, so saying "THIS IS WHY ALL WHITES ARE THE DEVIL" is absolutely ridiculous.
Altorin said:
yeah.. black africans were the ones selling other black africans to the europeans.. They were enslaved to the blacks before they were sold to the whites.
Slavery in Africa differed quite a bit from the Trans-Atlantic slave trade though. You might want to read that Wikipedia link.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
No its not racist because white people are the majority. In fact if you are a young (20ish - 40ish) white male then its impossible to discriminate against you because after all we are the almighty master race and obviously inferior races cannot offend us because they are not as powerful. Same with women they cant possibly intimidate us because we are superior in everyway they only serve their purpose as fuckbags and sandwich makers

I mean that with the utmost sarcasm incase you couldnt tell (need to put warning as people cant tell when you are joking). But seriously alot of people assume because you are white, male or come from a TRADITIONALLY dominant group that you cant be discriminated. Of course cracker is racist but does it bother me? Of course not unless they were threatening me at the time. If it was someone simply calling me it, its water off a ducks back but thats just who i am

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I remember when I first found out that the word "cracker" was an offensive term. I was playing an online RTS with a friend and he typed me a message about getting crumbs on his keyboard cause he had been eating gram ********.

At first I was pretty bewildered, then I realized he had probably meant to type "crackers", but accidentally typed "crappers" instead. So I replied "I think you mean '********'". I was pretty surprised when it censored me as well, so logically I had to look up the word "cracker" on google.

It's not a very common word, at least not where I live.

But ya, as a white, strait, christian, male from a reasonably wealthy family with a good education it doesn't really matter what anyone calls me.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Of course not. White people have never been oppressed or a minority, so it's much easier to just laugh off petty insults. However, for someone who has been oppressed, or is a minority, well.. I can't speak for them, but I could imagine it hitting much closer to home and having an actual impact.
Nonsense.There's plenty of examples of white people being oppressed throughout history.Granted it's usually by other white people but that doesn't make it any less real

oreso

Mar 12, 2012
I can't say I mind what people call me, but I do care about any prejudice or hate behind it, even if the word is a polite one.

'Privileged' is about the only term for white people that I hear abused. As in, it is used by people in order to disregard their opinion purely based on prejudicial assumptions about them because of their race.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Don't think I've ever actually heard it used at all in England. Not unless you spread butter or it. Must be an American thing. I don't think I'd be offended if someone called me that, because it's such an amusingly crap insult.
Strazdas said:
OhJohnNo said:
Strazdas said:
in any seriuos sentence. why would you use this fake word that means absolutely nothing?

capcha: whitch one is food? answers including: science, germany. i choose science.
He just misspelled it, is all. [https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flabbergasted&oq=flab&aqs=chrome.2.57j0l3.2815j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8]
not what i was talking about. The word itself is a expression construct and not a word. its like saying " the dog au at him because he didnt know him". no, the dog barked, and au is the sound he made. and you dont flabbergast. the word itself is a false construct.
I'm not sure how he used it in the wrong way, looking at the OP he said "I was flabbergasted when..." it's a state you can be in. Same as "I was exhausted/tired/befuddled". It's a good word that doesn't get used very often, mainly because it's only really appropriate when someone does something mind-boggling. It means to be astonished. You can even be flabbergasting. Not that "I am flabbergasting right now" makes a very well phrased sentence.

I love those old faux-theatrically overwrought English words. Stupendous, splendiferous, befuddled and bewildered, phenomenal, meretricious, ostentatious, refulgent; They roll off the tongue in such a pulchritudinous way, I never get to use flabbergasted very often though, and I think that's the first time I've ever gotten to use pulchritudinous in a sentence. You gotta keep em in reserve though, otherwise they stop having the same effect, like epic, or awesome, not that they're particularly over the top.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
It is a racial slur, but fuck if I care! People can call me whatever they want as long as it's not obviously negative.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Doesn't come up at all here in Australia. But when I do hear it, I think it's rather funny...but that's maybe because it seems to only ever be said as a joke.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'd laugh if called a cracker. Seriously, calling me out on being an overweight pathological liar would offend me more. Be inventive with insults, you sorry excuse for a human, go fuck a monkey and be at one with your people.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
tippy2k2 said:
Well whether it offends you personally or not is negligible for it is a racial slur. I'm sure there are black people who would say that it's OK to call them "Nigga" but you'd be a fool to think that it's still not a racial slur. Same thing here.

Personally, I could care less and am not offended by it at all. I have never had anyone call me a cracka but I imagine I'd just roll my eyes at them if they did.
madwarper said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
I'm sorry, but there is not a world where Cracka or Cracker could offend any white person. Right? I mean I'm pretty sure any of hear the word our minds do not jump to our skin colour but to delicious Saltine crackers.
Wrong.
It is very much a racial slur.

Even honky... If I get called a honky the only thing my mind jumps is the old Jefferson's TV show.
Yeah... The TV show where the main character used it as a racial slur.
I don't know man. I don't see it.

I feel it's like calling someone a tomato. It's just odd.
Hint: It doesn't mean "small thin baked food".

It means "slavemaster who cracks the whip".

Used in that context ("Once a cracker, always a cracker"), I'd be really annoyed because it tries to associate me directly with atrocious crimes I'm not guilty of. Otherwise, it's only marginally annoying.