White Vita May Boost Flagging Sales

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
White Vita May Boost Flagging Sales

Vita's new color tries to compensate for thin software selection.

While plenty of gamers have purchased a PS Vita, an even greater contingent has been hesitant to do so [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116061-Vita-Sales-Reach-1-2-Million-Units]. If you've been wanting to pick up Sony's impressive little machine but couldn't get in touch with your inner goth enough to warrant purchasing a black handheld, then dither no more: A Crystal White Vita is on the way, at least in Japan. The new color scheme is likely an appeal to prospective Vita owners who needed an aesthetic boost to take the monetary plunge, as the Vita's sales still lag well behind its competitors in its country of origin.

The Crystal White Vita is exactly what it sounds like: a Vita identical to its black counterpart, but with a pearlescent white casing. Nintendo tried a similar tactic with a pink 3DS last year, and saw sales increase by over 30%, but white doesn't seem like a color that would appeal to a female fanbase in the same way. The tactic could bear fruit (the kind of fruit with dollar signs in front of it), but Vita critics tend to point towards a meager software lineup and the lack of a real "must-have" title rather than a lack of color options.

With combined sales from the U.S., Europe, and Japan, the Vita has sold a respectable amount of consoles, but its dwindling fortunes may not reverse fully until the summer. When titles like Metal Gear Solid and Persona 4 ship, the system may see a significant bump in sales. If and when that happens, one must wonder whether the majority of consoles sold will be white or black.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169965/Sony_aims_to_rouse_PS_Vitas_Japanese_sales_with_Crystal_White_hardware.php]

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
If Apple can boost the prices of their hardware threefold by making a 'pretty' covering, I guess this tactic works as well.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
ThePS1Fan said:
I'd actually much rather buy a white Vita than the black one.
I'd rather have more games before i get a vita period. hell I'd get a pink one if they had enough games for it

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think that Sony can pull the white chocolate like Apple did with the white iPhone.
I hope that Sony fans aren't as stupid as the average hipster paying more for the white iPhone even tho it's the same product.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Let's see...the PSV is having a bit of trouble selling because of a less than great software lineup. The only logical way to fix this is by releasing additional hardware because LOGIC!

In all honesty the white one does look pretty slick. The problem though is that, like the article mentioned, the 3DS released a pink one and saw sales increase but there is still more variety in the Nintendo consoles. If you're going to introduce a new color why just do black and white when there's a full, untapped spectrum of shades to chose from? Right now you can buy either a blue, red, black or, pink 3DS with a purple one on the way and, a white one in Japan (not counting special editions like the Zelda Print one) The PSV only has black and soon white. In order to compete with Nintendo's color spectrum and not lose as much money there's always the possibility of shells/cases. Kind of like what you see for 360 controllers: a replaceable or, locking cover could include all sorts of shades, hues and, even styles.

Or Sony could announce a ton of games at E3 and make the PSV an absolute must-have console. Either or. Bring back Intelligent Qube and, bring Sony All-Stars to the PSV and you may have just won me over. Also bring back Medieval and Toomba dammit.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Who the heck is shallow enough to buy a console just for the color? That's even worse than the special edition consoles.

I have to admit I'm shallow enough that I wouldn't buy something that only came in, say, neon lime green, shocking pink, or that horrible baby poo brown-yellow you sometimes see on cars. But would you really buy a $250 device (+ hundreds more for memory cards, other accessories, games that only work on that system) just because it's now available in white? Is this an Apple thing?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I would think that more software and/or a price cut would sell better than it just being white. But what do I know, I'm only a discerning consumer and everyone if far more stupid than I am... or are they?

Guess we'll see if sales increase or not.

odBilal

Feb 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So the White one will get them a better credit rating? Makes sense.
ThePS1Fan said:
I'd actually much rather buy a white Vita than the black one.
I've heard the black ones have larger analog sticks and are better for sports games.
Oh! I see what you did there >.> racist funny!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
all nintendo would have to do to cut into their sales is release the purple 3ds that people have been actually been waiting for

they're making this too easy

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
Is it strange that I still prefer the black one? The white one just seems tacky... Also it needs many more games before I'm going to spend my precious money on a vita. (Even though I'm really impressed by it's technical specs).