Who are your favorite homosexuals in fiction?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
I think I'll go with Gay Perry from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, for one I really liked that movie, and i thought he was a fun character in it. He was kinda a badass and he had a lot of great lines.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, I clicked on this thread with no idea of any character in mind. Then, looking at some of the posts, I suddenly find myself confronted with numerous awesome gay characters. Shore Leave and Wallace from Scott Pilgrim? Damn, I almost forgot how hilarious Wallace was in that movie. Or just how constantly badass Shore Leave is.

Thanks for reminding me about these awesome characters guys.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Lafayette, the coolest guy on True Blood and the main reason I like the TV series even though I gave up after just one of the books.
The one and only Wallace Wells.
Hothead Paisan!
Dorian Red Gloria from From Eroica with Love. The coolest art thief in all of mangadom.
All the dykes to watch out for from Dykes to Watch Out For. Every single one.
(Two of them can be found below. The chubby one is Harriet, the other one is Mo.)

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Well, I'm watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time, and since the very beginning Willow has been by far my favorite character in it. Manages to be funny, smart, and adorable at the same time. Plus, her development from high school into college is pretty much identical to my experience (minus the coming out part, since I'm straight myself). Tara seems like a character with potential, but from what I've seen (I just finished off Season 5 literally less than three minutes ago), she doesn't seem to really get enough screen-time. Hopefully will see more of her in Season 6 (Jeez, here I am talking about a show that started in '96 as though it's currently ongoing).

Yet another vote in for Wallace Wells. One of the best bits of Scott Pilgrim, and being one of the best bits of Scott Pilgrim is like being one of the best people who saved the world ever.

Juhani from KotOR. Always found her to be one of the coolest characters, and unless I'm playing a Guardian, she's usually in my party pretty much non-stop from the moment I get her. Plus, bonus points for being the first LGBT character in Star Wars canon.

wakeup

Aug 26, 2012
being gay i would have to say bill from the last of us is the best portrayed gay character I've seen. so many times gay characters are defined by them being stereo-typically gay. bill just so happens to be gay but also a fantastic deep character.

id also say kenny from the show 'my name is earl'. hes a hugely funny character without ever being offensive.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2. Yes he's bi but that's close enough, right? I mean he's got those amazing knife skills, crazy agility, and he regenerates. He dies several times but always gets back up and goes back to killing. Shot in the head, shot repeatedly till he falls in a pool of water that you can't swim in due to all the oxygen (basically there's not enough h2o to push against I guess) and from what little I know of MGS4 takes a katana through the gut (yes Johnny Gat in Saints Row 2 did it but he only got stabbed by a normal human, Vamp gets stabbed in the guts by a cyborg)

Nymi

Nov 26, 2011
Isn't this thread kind of dumb? Why should it matter to me if a character is homosexual or not if I like them? Maybe I'm just approaching this from the wrong direction, but a character is a favorite character to me if it's a well-crafted character. Whether it's a homosexual or heterosexual character doesn't enter into it. Characters whose personality seems significantly anchored to their sexuality are rarely good.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
While I don't think the character is actually gay, I do want to give honorable mention to Kanji Tatsumi, because he is one of my all time favorite characters.

I'd also like to mention Rictor and Shatterstar from X-Factor for being great characters on their own, whose relationship was compelling and makes them even better.

I'm honestly more invested in their relationship right now than I am in over half the forced romances in random movies.

And lastly, I dunno if this is actually true or not, but supposed Merida from Brave is supposed to be the first "Lesbian Disney Princess."

Again, dunno if that's true, but if it is than I'd like to add her to this list.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Satan from South Park.

Yup, in South Park not only is Satan a pseudo-good guy, but he's also gay.

Not only is he a clever parody of the whole "God hates fags" view of hardcore Christians, but he has an interesting character in the movie. He's in an abusive relationship with Saddam Hussein (yes, that Saddam Hussein) and Kenny helps him overcome his submissiveness to take charge and kill him (South Park is a weird show).

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
jhoroz said:
It's more implied than outright stated, but I'm going to say Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Leeron from Gurren Lagann.
how is Gus homosexual? like where is that implied? maybe i missed that but i always felt he was kinda asexual, with no interest whatsoever.

I would have to go with Omar from the wire, best robbery in in anything i have ever seen/heard/read/played.
And the cop from six feet under, he was so incredibly normal.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Is it a good thing or a bad thing that I couldn't immediately think of my favourite homosexual character ? Or any homosexual character until I actually read some replies ?

Anyway, another vote for Wallace from Scott Pilgrim. He got all the best jokes.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Dumbledore.
Not overly stereotypical, a well-written character with actual flaws. Also a badass.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
teebeeohh said:
jhoroz said:
It's more implied than outright stated, but I'm going to say Gus Fring from Breaking Bad and Leeron from Gurren Lagann.
how is Gus homosexual? like where is that implied? maybe i missed that but i always felt he was kinda asexual, with no interest whatsoever.

I would have to go with Omar from the wire, best robbery in in anything i have ever seen/heard/read/played.
And the cop from six feet under, he was so incredibly normal.
It's hinted that his partner who was killed in that flashback was his lover. This was discussed in a podcast by Gus Fring's actor, Giancarlo Esposito. There's also that German guy who killed himself in the beginning of Season 5 when he heard Gus was dead. It could be because he was about to get caught, but I think it was also because there was something more going on between them.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Vanille and Fang from FF13.
Lofty and Tonker from Discworld.

I like gay characters who aren't overtly gay, where their sexuality is just another aspect of the character rather than being something pushed to the front for the sake of it. Both of these cases, the characters are lesbian but it's inferred rather than in your face, and it doesn't impact on the character any more than race or anything else does...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Nymi said:
Isn't this thread kind of dumb? Why should it matter to me if a character is homosexual or not if I like them? Maybe I'm just approaching this from the wrong direction, but a character is a favorite character to me if it's a well-crafted character. Whether it's a homosexual or heterosexual character doesn't enter into it. Characters whose personality seems significantly anchored to their sexuality are rarely good.
Uh... I think you've got the wrong idea here. Like, entirely the wrong idea.

I never implied that being gay should be the overriding personality trait of characters that you like. In fact, I agree, if being gay was the ONLY personality they had, then they'd probably be pretty boring/stereotypical characters indeed.

But in my first post, I specifically said "Who are your favorite characters who also happen to be gay. I mean it like a description. Like if I had made a thread like "Who are your favorite blondes?" or "Who are your favorite hispanic characters?".