Who are your favorite homosexuals in fiction?

Plasticaprinae

Jul 9, 2013
In no paticular order:

Arcade Gannon
Veronica (Fallout NV)
Kanaya and Rose (homestuck)
Dirk (homestuck)
Willow and Tara

Though this thread makes me happy. I like seeing LGBT characters done well. Makes my heart feel all fuzzy.

mizutanitony

Jan 15, 2010
Kanji from Persona 4

Roomie from Go Get a Roomie.

Amal from The Less than Epic Adventures of Tj and Amal

Max from PVP

Idgie Threadgood from Fried Green Tomatoes

Kerry Weaver from E.R.

Bill from The Last of Us

Lindsay Peterson from U.S. Queer as Folk

those are just a few.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Kitsune Hunter said:
I would pick Wallace from Scott Pilgrim, I love that guy, but I would say Lafayette from True Blood would be my main choice, the guy doesn't give or take any shit about what others think about him, just take this scene for example

I've not seen True Blood but that was simply amazing.

I'm now going to watch this at least 10 more times.

mizutanitony

Jan 15, 2010
tselski said:
Wereduck said:
tselski said:
Wereduck said:
From Deep Space 9; Elim Garak, the bad-assingest cardassian in explored space.
I don't really get this one either, he totally had the hots for Dukat's daughter.
Were you a latecomer to the show? Although I saw her as attracted to him I always felt he had a more paternal attitude toward her - I wonder whether that's just because I'd already seen several seasons of him flirting with Bashir when she joined the cast.
While I did only watch the series this year, I did watch it all in order. I sort of got the impression that he was attracted to her but never really acted on it on account of the age difference and the whole her being Dukat's daughter thing.

Looking at the Star Trek wiki though, apparently the actor who played Garak originally played the character as gay and wanted him to be gay, but the writers eventually shoehorned in that romance to appease the network or something.
The actor actually stated that he wanted the character to be omni-sexual but once parents saw how he acted towards Bashir...they toned it down to keep ratings. The crew and everyone had no problems with it...but again early 90's after the debauchery of the past thirty years made us unable to cope with an openly sexual alien?

As the 9th said about humans in the year 5000, "So many species so little time."

mizutanitony

Jan 15, 2010
Benjamin Kavanagh-Salguero said:
so anyone going to go for our loveable Rainbow Dash? xD

but Nowaki & Hiro from Junjo Romantica(Egoist) pretty much take my vote =P
I love Nowaki.

Kurenaino

Oct 29, 2010
Can I go with seriously implied? Yes? Ok, good.

Jade Curtiss from Tales of the Abyss. Dear god, where to even start with this guy...he is hilarious beyond all measure, dry, sarcastic, a psychopathic GENIUS and when he isn't going around doing awful things for science, he's tormenting royalty because it amuses him. Love Love LOVE.

Sep 14, 2009
you know, in video games and anime i can't think of many gay characters..not because i wouldn't like them or don't, just becaue it either isn't brought up(if it was I probably forgot..I don't remember characters by their sexual likes/dislikes), or it DEFINES their character, and if it defines their character then it can be handled badly in a "jeesh..we get it, you're gay, perhaps be a part of the plot rather than constantly remind me of that?"

however, officer john cooper from southland was a fucking badass, and he took any insults/aggressiveness against his preferences like a fucking champ, the way the show tackled that was very surreal and i couldn't have picked a better way that the actor handled it. I really wish the show wasn't cancelled or he was in more shows that I liked.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Sack of Cheese said:
Yeah I know. I just wanna point out the direction the screenwriter took was deliberate. It's noteworthy to point out during the conversation between Serah and Vanille, Serah used the term "大切な人" (significant other) when referring to Fang's relationship with Vanille. For the English version however, they used "friend", well it could work but feels not as strong as Japanese version.

Let's hope their subtext won't be toned down in FFXIII-3.
Huh. So it was the American translators who took out the lesbian text! I didn't realize.

Also... is Saga Frontier worth playing for Asellus? You caught my interest with your mention that she had the same writers as Vanille.

I'd have to find it used or on PSN or something, and I'm not entirely certain what kind of RPG Saga Frontier is.
Hmm, it's a turn-based JRPG and perhaps a bit grindy too. Each weapon has a unique skill and you acquire skills randomly when you attack. Might be a little dated now. The world is big and often there's no hint of where to go next.

If you wanna play JRPGs with subtexts, I highly recommend Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru. They're one part RPG, one part time management, one part alchemy and one part dating sim. Think Persona, but set in a fantasy world and focus more on time-management.
Atelier Rorona's (the first game of the trilogy) gameplay is not as polished as its two sequels, skippable. Persona 3 Portable is a good one too, since you can play as a chick in the Portable version and some routes remain unchanged.

Sep 14, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
I would pick Wallace from Scott Pilgrim, I love that guy, but I would say Lafayette from True Blood would be my main choice, the guy doesn't give or take any shit about what others think about him, just take this scene for example

that was epic. i might just watch that whole show now because of that.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
tselski said:
Wereduck said:
tselski said:
Wereduck said:
From Deep Space 9; Elim Garak, the bad-assingest cardassian in explored space.
I don't really get this one either, he totally had the hots for Dukat's daughter.
Were you a latecomer to the show? Although I saw her as attracted to him I always felt he had a more paternal attitude toward her - I wonder whether that's just because I'd already seen several seasons of him flirting with Bashir when she joined the cast.
While I did only watch the series this year, I did watch it all in order. I sort of got the impression that he was attracted to her but never really acted on it on account of the age difference and the whole her being Dukat's daughter thing.

Looking at the Star Trek wiki though, apparently the actor who played Garak originally played the character as gay and wanted him to be gay, but the writers eventually shoehorned in that romance to appease the network or something.
Interesting - well, since you watched it in order and didn't get the same vibe on the whole Garak/Bashir/Ziyal triangle I guess that screws up my theory. Still, regardless of whether Garak was chasing Bashir or not it's good to know the actor was playing him gay so I didn't just imagine that part.

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
Omar from The Wire. When you come at the king, you'd best not miss

If you want one from videogames: Kanji from Persona 4. Though that's sort of open to interpretation, it might have been subtly confirmed when you max out his social link.

Zeterai

Oct 19, 2009
Wereduck said:
Benjamin Kavanagh-Salguero said:
so anyone going to go for our loveable Rainbow Dash? xD
Wait up; Rainbow Dash is gay?
Awesome if true but you're not just saying this because she...
killed Starscream?
A female shouldn't have to be a lesbian to kick ass after all. That's the only real reason I'd like to see the new Lara Croft not be gay.
Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are a commonly shipped couple. They sort of fit the standard, stereotypical pairing; loud, vibrant and athletic paired with shy, quiet and pretty. I doubt Hasbro is going to confirm it any time soon, but they're a natural pair. Think Red Oni / Blue Oni.

I picked up on Garak's interest in Bashir, but Julian didn't seem to. I think that when Ziyal came in, the actor managed to display Elim's surprise both at a female advance, and caution considering who she was. It's strange, they had Intendant Nerise clearly, and bluntly stated to have been with Mirror Ezri. I seem to recall the two kissing on screen. Plus Jadzia and that other female Trill from earlier in the series. Seems they just didn't want male on male.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Aralaas said:
Strictly homosexuals, or are bisexuals also acceptable?
Because if so, Jack Harkness from Doctor Who.
I'm going to agree with this. Though Torchwood was just really . . . terrible is the word that comes to mind. The mashup of X-Files and Melrose Place just didn't work for me even slightly.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Raoul Silva from Skyfall. He's just so casually and contently out of the closet. Being a villain makes it better.
He was the first lead villain in Bond to be gay but not the first villain(s):

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Sack of Cheese said:
Hmm, it's a turn-based JRPG and perhaps a bit grindy too. Each weapon has a unique skill and you acquire skills randomly when you attack. Might be a little dated now. The world is big and often there's no hint of where to go next.
**currently replaying Final Fantasy 7 - has unlocked all current party member limit breaks - not yet to Nibelheim - level 40**

Grindy you say? **grin**

As long as the combat is fun, grindy is not bad.

As to no hint where to go... that is what Wiki pages and walkthroughs are for.

Sack of Cheese said:
If you wanna play JRPGs with subtexts, I highly recommend Atelier Totori and Atelier Meruru. They're one part RPG, one part time management, one part alchemy and one part dating sim. Think Persona, but set in a fantasy world and focus more on time-management.
Atelier Rorona's (the first game of the trilogy) gameplay is not as polished as its two sequels, skippable. Persona 3 Portable is a good one too, since you can play as a chick in the Portable version and some routes remain unchanged.
Own and played Persona 3 Portable (and the original as well). Loved it.

I've only ever heard of the Atelier series via Unskippable. It looked kinda... awful. ^^;; Is it really something I should be seriously checking out?

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Omar's awesome, in-deed, but my vote's for Kima Greggs. And Bette Porter from The L Word, since that show (and especially her scenes) helped me come to terms with my bisexuality.

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
Would have to be Willem Dafoe as FBI Agent Paul Smecker in The Boondock Saints, speaking of which, I need to get around to watching the sequel.