Who is the worst Final Fantasy character ever?

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
I'll have to opt for Quina. I used him / her / it all of one time, then he / she / it was packed away, never to be seen again. Mind you, I did the exact same thing with Cait Sith, but he didn't annoy me like Quina did.

Not a big fan of Tidus, though he didn't stop me playing and enjoying FFX. His voice did grate on me though, and do not even get me started on the laughing scene. Even fake laughter doesn't make me cringe like that did. Vaan was forgettable too - Balthier should have been the main protagonist of that game. Hell, for me, he was. Vaan got relegated to being used when I had to, otherwise it was aaaaaall about Balthier.

Squall I'm fine with. Yeah he came with more baggage than an airport, but that didn't bother me. And I'm going to leap, fangirl like, on the post that cited Vincent - he wasn't the happiest of bunnies, but he had a list as long as your arm of reasons to be a bit hacked off. Plus, he's mine. Mine I tell you! :)

(I know he's not to everyone's taste, but I just can't stay away from the tall, dark, broody types).

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
scorptatious said:
Aris Khandr said:
"The dead MUST be sent." But, you know, not me. I'm too cool, and badass, and stuff for the rules to apply to me. Just those lesser people.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mind the idea of being sent. But I doubt he would want to do that with his friend, who was Sin, running around killing everyone. Plus he did get sent at the end of the game.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I guess that does make him somehwhat of a hypocrite, but that doesn't change how I feel about him.
Auron knew he was unsent, but he promised Jecht to bring Tidus to Spira. He wanted to remain unsent until...
the battle against Yunalesca to stop the final Aeon Summoning thus breaking the chain
then afterwards after defeating Sin, he had no reasons left to stay.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I'm gonna say Kefka. I just don't like the way he laughs.
I'm also gonna say I only played FF 6 & 7.

Glaive_21842

Dec 21, 2009
Oh god...so many choices.

FF8
Oh god...the shit-storm starts
SQUALL: Do i really need to explain this one? I almost didn't add him in since the "Squall is dead" theory is completely awesome and actually makes the story pretty interesting...but that theory is prolly non-canonical, so it can't save him.
SELPHIE: NO.
ZELL: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
RINOA: Spend disc one gushing about Siefer. Spend rest of game gushing over Squall for no good reason.
IRVINE: Stops getting developed after disc one.
QUISTIS: Stopped getting development IMMEDIATELY. God damnit and this is the one non-annoying character that i want to like...but there's nothing there
THE REST OF THE CAST: WTF...

FF10
TIDUS: What the hell!? Ya know what, no. I'm not gunna run down every reason this character sucks. Spoony already did that for me!
WAKKA: Oh good god why. That hair is DUMB. That weapon is DUMBER. He is dumb.
YUNA: DOORMAT! NUFF SAID!
RIKKU: lol loli.
KIMARI: Quistis syndrome.

FF11
MY CHARACTER: My god he's a douche! (lol jk)

FF12
VAAN, PENELO, FRAN: Get out of my game you useless, uninteresting characters! Sure Balthier doesn't really need to be here either, but at least he's cool >_<.

FF13
My god do i wanna rip on this game...but i can't. Not because i like it, but because I've never played it, so i have no position on this. (but from what I've heard, i prolly would have plenty of chars here if i had played this)

Now for some obligatory FF love. Characters I like!
BARRET: Lol Mr.T. yea, thats basically the only reason I like him
RED13: lol doggie. Once again, i like the gimmick.
CAIT-SITH: lol moogle-cat-thing. Seriously, just put a wtf char in front of me and I'll prolly like it. Strange that that i hate FF8 so much then...
SIEFER: He electro-tortures Squall. Auto-props.
KEFKA: Oh god yes a villain i can love to hate!
LULU: Holy funbags! Lol, not the only reason. I actually find her seriousness to be quite refreshing after Tidus and Rikku get done destroying my eardrums.
AURON: FF games need more badasses! Also, seriousness helps too.
THE OTHER 3 CHARS IN FF12 THAT I DON'T HATE: Basch and Ache actually seem like complicated, well made characters, or at least waaaay better than most of the FF lot. And Balthier...well, he's just cool ^_^

TL;DR: Alot of annoying characters.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
acer840 said:
scorptatious said:
Aris Khandr said:
"The dead MUST be sent." But, you know, not me. I'm too cool, and badass, and stuff for the rules to apply to me. Just those lesser people.
I'm pretty sure he didn't mind the idea of being sent. But I doubt he would want to do that with his friend, who was Sin, running around killing everyone. Plus he did get sent at the end of the game.

EDIT: Thinking about it now, I guess that does make him somehwhat of a hypocrite, but that doesn't change how I feel about him.
Auron knew he was unsent, but he promised Jecht to bring Tidus to Spira. He wanted to remain unsent until...
the battle against Yunalesca to stop the final Aeon Summoning thus breaking the chain
then afterwards after defeating Sin, he had no reasons left to stay.
Exactly.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

thelawgiver

Jun 6, 2011
If XIII had been a better game, I wouldn't be so annoyed by its characters. But when the gameplay is so pitifully bad, it's hard not to focus on how equally terrible the characters and storyline are. X and XII had some very annoying characters as well, but those were infinitely better in terms of gameplay and story, so it muuuuch easier to overlook.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Tidus, Rikku, Kain, Cloud, the Warriors of Light from FFI and FFIII, Krile from FF5, Sephile from FFVIII, Kuja from FFIX, Dracula from FFI,and Cloud of Darkness

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
GroovyV said:
Regardless of how people feel about Vanille (who i really do like) or Rikku and Yuna (the same), or many other oddball characters from this Never-ending Series (*coughFinalFantasy47cough*), I feel the worst character was Vaan, Final Fantasy XII's poster child for the word Twink.

Say what you will about the plot and development, and the sequels for the handhelds... in the original, he was a pointless character created solely because the japanese don't like Bara-men that much. Androgynous for the win... meh.
Anyway, i'd gladly put up with Kooky, Mopey (to an extent), obnoxious, "ethnic" and whatever else than to have to deal with him.
I love your post way too much after reading the first post. Made me chock on my danged cereal.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Michael Brunson said:
jumjalalabash said:
thelawgiver said:
Vanille, by a hair. The voice-acting was atrocious, and the game itself wasn't much better. Everything about her character in particular was just...awful. Hope is a very, very close second. Everything about him was pathetic. He is a combination of the worst qualities of Vaan (shrimpy/insignificant) and Cloud (whiny/self-loathing).

Cait Sith also sucks pretty hardcore.
Sad thing is Cait Sith is among the most reasonable people in all the FF games. I like how he finally called out the elephant of the room that is Barret being a terrorist who killed hundreds of people. Hell when I think about it, Barret destroying that reactor probably killed more then anything Sephiroth did.
I was going to say Cait Sith until you pointed that out. He still does suck.
Quina was a useless character as was Zorn and Thorn. I hated Zorn and Thorn because it seemed like they were trying to replace the Biggs and Wedge trope.

I also hate Kuja. Whoever designed Kuja, must have thought "let's make Sephiroth, but dumb him down and make him gender ambiguous."

Wow all of my most hated characters are from Final Fantasy IX what does that tell you?
Ya its a shame Cat Sith was so fucking ugly and I can't stand looking at the guy.

Quina really needed more story outside of that damn frog minigame and the other party asking where the hell s/he came from.

Zorn and Thorn I have to speak out against. They weren't just pointless side characters. They were demonic mutant magic clowns who betray people and rip godly beasts of death out of people. They did have an actually role in the story unlike any of the Biggs & Wedges who ended being cannon fodder for evil guys plan.

Also how is Kuja a dumbed down Sephiroth. He is leagues more dangerous to the world and a way deeper character. Yes he is the biggest victim of FF9's art-style, but he is probably the best villain from all the FF games when you really look at what he does.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
nothingspringstomind said:
Khimari.
Not because he personally annoyed me for his personality, but because he was bloody useless.

FF7 was the only one with a good blue magic system, i.e. it wasn't one characters whole skill set.
FF5 the one that started it was pretty good at blue magic, it was a pool system. If Bartz gets hit with Goblin Punch everyone would know it, it wasn't a f'ing hassle to get everyone lvl5 Death for job grinding :D

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Nautical Honors Society said:
Well every final fantasy character from every game is the same just copy and pasted from one generation to the next, so it should be more like "what is the worst Final Fantasy character personality" and in that case I'd have to go with the kooky girl.
How many Final Fantasy games have you played again?

ZtH

Oct 12, 2010
Man I do not understand all the Rikku hate. She was loads better than Lulu, the other non-lead female.

Anyway as for characters I hate:
Lulu: flat boring personality
Tidus: Already been mentioned
Vaan: Has no reason to exist

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
jumjalalabash said:
Michael Brunson said:
jumjalalabash said:
thelawgiver said:
Vanille, by a hair. The voice-acting was atrocious, and the game itself wasn't much better. Everything about her character in particular was just...awful. Hope is a very, very close second. Everything about him was pathetic. He is a combination of the worst qualities of Vaan (shrimpy/insignificant) and Cloud (whiny/self-loathing).

Cait Sith also sucks pretty hardcore.
Sad thing is Cait Sith is among the most reasonable people in all the FF games. I like how he finally called out the elephant of the room that is Barret being a terrorist who killed hundreds of people. Hell when I think about it, Barret destroying that reactor probably killed more then anything Sephiroth did.
I was going to say Cait Sith until you pointed that out. He still does suck.
Quina was a useless character as was Zorn and Thorn. I hated Zorn and Thorn because it seemed like they were trying to replace the Biggs and Wedge trope.

I also hate Kuja. Whoever designed Kuja, must have thought "let's make Sephiroth, but dumb him down and make him gender ambiguous."

Wow all of my most hated characters are from Final Fantasy IX what does that tell you?
Ya its a shame Cat Sith was so fucking ugly and I can't stand looking at the guy.

Quina really needed more story outside of that damn frog minigame and the other party asking where the hell s/he came from.

Zorn and Thorn I have to speak out against. They weren't just pointless side characters. They were demonic mutant magic clowns who betray people and rip godly beasts of death out of people. They did have an actually role in the story unlike any of the Biggs & Wedges who ended being cannon fodder for evil guys plan.

Also how is Kuja a dumbed down Sephiroth. He is leagues more dangerous to the world and a way deeper character. Yes he is the biggest victim of FF9's art-style, but he is probably the best villain from all the FF games when you really look at what he does.
Okay hold on. I will concede that Kuja does have some depth. Namely his relationship to Zidane. However Sephiroth wanted to wipe out life on the planet and turn said planet into a vessel to travel the universe eradicating all life. Second In all of the FF games Kefka is by far the best villain when you look at what he does. He decimates the world and kills tens of thousands of people.

Sep 17, 2009
Cridhe said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Well every final fantasy character from every game is the same just copy and pasted from one generation to the next, so it should be more like "what is the worst Final Fantasy character personality" and in that case I'd have to go with the kooky girl.
How many Final Fantasy games have you played again?
10, 13, and 7. Only owned 10 and that was enough for me. Dot get defensive haha you know it's true.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I'd go with Vanille, though I'd prefer to just say every character from FF13 except Sazh, who was passable.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
The entire cast of FF8...that game was so depressing when I got it and realized the series had peaked and had started its decline.

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
Malo_Tux said:
Squall... all he does is *****, whine, and moan
I'm always confused by this view on Squall, considering that for a good 3/4s of the game everyone who knows him is constantly trying to get him to show some sort of emotional response to anything, which he generally shuts downs.
He speaks very little, is always extremely curt when he does, and makes it a point to try and keep his own personal feelings out of anything he does or says.

Not saying you have to feel he is a good character, but saying that all he does is whine and moan is just incorrect.

On Topic: Penelo.
It's easy to say Vaan, but even if Vaan was useless to the plot itself, at least he had an emotional reason for being there.
Penelo is only there because Vaan is there. Lacking any significant motive, she is actually more useless to the plot and depending on how you feel, may actually diminish the importance of the task at hand considering her entire contribution to the group is to occasionally act like a finger-wagging nanny at Vaan.
Also, on the more petty side, she's could very much be the more visually boring character ever to make their way into a Final Fantasy game.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Easily Quina - hated that creature.

Eiko second, I don't like the habit of fiction to depict pre 10 year olds as ridiculously powerful. Even if they were, doesn't mean they have discipline.

Third Kuja. I don't like men dressing as women, especially ones wearing groin pouches.

Wow, it seems like I don't like FFIX - really isn't the case. I like Freya.