Who is your favorite background character?

r_fostoria

Aug 13, 2011
It's about time we dedicate a thread to all of our favorite unsung background characters throughout video gaming history. I know we've all got one. Now, I'm not talking about minor characters here or anyone directly plot related, but just the extra shop owners, townsfolk, or general pedestrians that do what they do simply to set the mood or fill up space. Maybe they shout out a phrase or too. Maybe they walk in a silly, whimsical fashion. Maybe they just look entertaining. Whatever they do they never fail to put a smile on your face whenever you encounter them. Let's see what you've got!

My personal favorite is the old female Leak Links golfer from good ol' Vice City. It never fails to make me chuckle whenever I hear her wheeze out one of her few mundane one liners like "I despise dried fruit" or "SPF, I never wear that crap!" in her hoarse Jewish accent. Fun fact: she also officially counts as a gang member!

Honorable mention goes to the excited rolling sailor on Sailor's Island in Skies of Arcadia.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Whitaker, the gun shop owner in Left 4 Dead 2. Gives you free guns and talks in a coolio accent. His weakness for Cola and nuts is, how you say, legendary.

"No, sir. Diet don't get the right flavor. I better not see no cherry neither. It's straight cola or no deal."

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Oh far to many....

most recent stand out however has got to be the random crew member in ME3.
He just paces in a circle around the mess hall and salutes you if you try to interact with him. I don't know why, I just love him.

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Essentially every marine in Halo 3. Especially with the IWHBYD skull on. Their dialogue, is quite entertaining.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Sandy from Infamous

you know...Sandy?

the woman who runs up to you and says "Cole! it's me! Sandy!"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Camaranth said:
Oh far to many....

most recent stand out however has got to be the random crew member in ME3.
He just paces in a circle around the mess hall and salutes you if you try to interact with him. I don't know why, I just love him.
or the two ladies gaurdng the door

I'm sure you can imagine their excitment when they were going to be stationed on the normandy under comander shepard...only to find otu the details of their assingment would be gauding the door

I like to imagine what they say when shepard isnt around

"did that last time?..I think she looked at me"
"...I think she had somthing in her eye"
"........."
"....so...."
"shut up"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uhh... do the G-Men from Psychonauts count?

Not the biggest fan of that game, but those guys were pretty bloody funny.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I've got to say the family that lived in the Frostflow Lighthouse. I never got to see the alive, but I liked the place and what I read in the diaries n such.

Also, does Tom Bombadil count as a background character? He's always fun to be around :D

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
r_fostoria said:
It's about time we dedicate a thread to all of our favorite unsung background characters throughout video gaming history. I know we've all got one. Now, I'm not talking about minor characters here or anyone directly plot related, but just the extra shop owners, townsfolk, or general pedestrians that do what they do simply to set the mood or fill up space. Maybe they shout out a phrase or too. Maybe they walk in a silly, whimsical fashion. Maybe they just look entertaining. Whatever they do they never fail to put a smile on your face whenever you encounter them. Let's see what you've got!

My personal favorite is the old female Leak Links golfer from good ol' Vice City. It never fails to make me chuckle whenever I hear her wheeze out one of her few mundane one liners like "I despise dried fruit" or "SPF, I never wear that crap!" in her hoarse Jewish accent. Fun fact: she also officially counts as a gang member!

Honorable mention goes to the excited rolling sailor on Sailor's Island in Skies of Arcadia.
In the pc version of the game Dark Messiah, near the end during an assault against stonehelm, there is this guard, who i unfortunately never learned his name (don't even know if he has one) I was playing on the hardest difficulty, (which can be pretty brutal since 2 or three hits and you will be killed.

But anyways, if find this guard fighting 3 ghouls ( extremely strong attackers) and 2 grey robes ( powerful mages also extremely dangerous) All the previous guards ive seen have gotten killed in one or two hits, and were thoroughly unimpressive. This guard that i found, takes a fireball to the face, gets frozen, gets hit constantly, and he's find and starts killing all of them. I became inspired by his will to live that i decided to ensure that he survived just in case, protecting him as best i could. Once the fighting was over, he had taken enough damage to kill my character about 6o times over. However, the moment the fighting was done, he casually placed his sword over his shoulder as if he couldn't be bothered to lift the sword to his sheath and said " Is it possible to die of boredom?" completely deadpan serious.

I don't know if it's just me, but i fell out of my chair laughing. I can only imagine that one day he would have literally died from being bored, because someone of his awesomeness could never find a true challenge.

Yali

Jul 2, 2012
I have a soft spot for Fat Larry from VtM:B.
(yep that's Phil Lamarr's voice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqiFAm7R-ZY

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Without a doubt, Herbert Moon from Red Dead Redemption.

Owned the general store in Armadillo and plays Poker at night in the saloon- at first just ordinary NPC- but especially during poker you realize he's actually a unique character model, voice and constantly spouts out racist, bigoted conspiracy theories about the illuminati or the jews. Even his ever present "HELLLP ITS HERRBERRTT MOOOOOOOOONNN!" when he gets robbed never got unfunny to me.

On top of it all, due to this, he got a particularly memorable, hilarious part in the Undead Nightmare expansion.

darlarosa

May 4, 2011
Mrs. Crumblebotttom and Miss. Crublebottom from the sims 2 and 1 respectively. It was kind of fun to see these old women be horrible >.> my sims tend to get beaten for public sexual relations.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
the random henchmen from arkham city. the conversations between them were great and half the time i didn't even want to fight them. my favorites are the guys talking about how hot nora is and the guy talking about his mother on thanksgiving

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
My heart is always open to Mike, the helicopter pilot in Resident Evil 4. Sadler can keep kidnapping Ashley all day long, but when he killed Mike... That's when things got real for me.

bluerocker

Queen of Cockblocking and Misery
Sep 22, 2011
The Bellboy from the Phoenix Wright series.
[http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/File:Bellboy.png]

He's such a silly NPC, and he reminds me of the butler from Mr. Deeds.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
Noober from Baldur's Gate.

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

Gee, you sure are patient. I've run out of things to say.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
I was playing Saints Row 2, I saw a guy carrying a sign, so I killed him, and then I read the sign. It said "Stop the Violence." So, yeah, that guy.